Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

The strangest thing I’ve heard from the mouth of a Tamper was,

Could be common sense from what I could see!

I often wondered if it was mandatory to disconnect/remove brain before getting into one of the things.

Ian T

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

The strangest thing I’ve heard from the mouth of a Tamper was, “I don’t sign that crossover, mate?????”

You can imagine my response!

Paul

Did it start “Excuse me driver, could you possibly reconsider . . . “

:-)

Paul.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, ianathompson said:

Could be common sense from what I could see!

I often wondered if it was mandatory to disconnect/remove brain before getting into one of the things.

Ian T

If you had any sense before you got in, the shaking you'd get during the job would knock it all out of you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

On 08/05/2020 at 18:01, St Enodoc said:

Just looking at the diagram, Graham, and without any knowledge of how it was actually worked, I reckon that Down trains would be put inside using the Up Siding, via 5 and 3 crossovers. The "North End Crossover" might have been to let pilot locos reverse into the Down Siding and thence to the turntable. The fireman would have operated the ground frame in this event.

My good friend from Melbourne @Sharky is building a model of Garsdale. He is a real live signalman so might have some further thoughts.

Apologies for the late response. It takes a while for messages to get down to us here in VIC.

It appears to have already been discussed at length but from my understanding the Down siding was mainly used as a holding road for Light engines, either heading back to Hellifield or Carlisle. 

It probably wouldn't be used for holding complete trains (at least not down trains) as it is not a signalled move.

As mentioned, being a signalman by trade I can definitely vouch for always wanting to use a signalled route for any moment where possible.

Even in this day and age of computer based interlocking, this is still safest way of moving trains as the interlocking will prevent you from, well, you!

Considering the adjacent boxes, Dent & Ais Gill, had the ability to hold Down Trains in dedicated Layby Sidings (both being signalled moves) it seems unlikely that the 'Down Siding' at Garsdale would've been used for holding Down Trains. At least not commonly.

So to not include it in the layout design you won't lose much operationally. You could always make it a dead end, getting rid of the down end points and just using it as a holding road for Pilot engines if the need arises. But as stated most of the 'pilot engine' working to Garsdale was gone by the 50s.

Edited by Sharky
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

That's quite an elegant solution your "door/swinging cupboard"- whatever you want to call it thingy. 

Very nice mate.

Regards Lez.  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, guys.

I certainly can't take credit for the idea - the idea was shamelessly 'nicked' from an article in Oct 2017 RM called 'the gate'.

Also with one eye firmly on the future to prevent cursing the requirement to 'duck under' when I'm in my dotage!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Excellent to see such rapid progress. As you know, I too have attempted to design for a possibly less physically flexible future.

This is described on my (very inadequate compared to yours) thread .... here...

My swinging bridge relies on solid abutments screwed to a concrete floor and three heavy-duty stainless steel hinges. It has been in place now for over three years (such is my speed of construction). It continues to work and stay stable. Since I am not an engineer, I tend to over-engineer everything!

Please may ask about your design. Does yours rely on a level floor and castors?

(I rejected that solution as being more subject to potential wear.)

If you will excuse a further interruption to your thread, I have also attached an old picture of my cross-room lift-out viaduct. This was also taken some three years ago, and it's fitting-out with such things as track and electrical supply has had to wait for other work to be done. You will see the 'raised cutout' to give more room. You will also note the totally unprototypical width of the piers. I do have a cunning plan to correct these - but since they form structurally an 8' span girder I am reluctant to weaken them too much. There is also a cunning plan, should age an infirmity demand, to give the viaduct a counter-weighted hoist!

I have also taken care to avoid sharp corners which my hips and legs might come into contact with.

Sorry not to have more impressive trains to show at the moment. Most of my stock is still packed away, and my A8 that I have been using to track testing with a local train has just succumbed  to a second failure of it's Comet gearbox. Very annoying. A High-Level box is about to be ordered.

'When all this is over', you will be very welcome to travel down the line for seven miles and witness my slow progress.

(Do you like the conceit of having a Bridge Cabin on the Bridge?)

Post_041.jpg.bdd700632b6212cf30386fec2d145a70.jpg

Post_043.jpg

Post_040.JPG

Edited by drmditch
Viaduct length stated incorrectly
  • Like 17

• 3 weeks later...

Going back a few weeks to the discussion on Garsdale Signalling!  

This morning I was browsing through the latest copy of Rail and enjoying the article about the Leeds area Signalling.  Then, I got to page 75.  Hey presto, a recent photo of a Class 66 approaching Garsdale from the north with 5 signals visible, of which 3 are Ground Signals, Dollies! 

The photo has confirmed that 32 ground signal protects both the main to main crossover and entry to the Up Sidings, but it is only cleared for movements into the Sidings not over the crossover to the Down Main.  There is a black arrow on a white plate below the ground signal indicating to the right.  The style of the arrow implies it is a sign of considerable age, as are all the ground signals. 

The Garsdale Signalman must still have to verbally authorise movements from the Up to the Down.

Paul

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely love this - it’s great to see each piece develop and the way you anchor it all back to the master plan. Fast progress too...although you’ve had some practice of layout building under time pressure!!

Could I please just ask what type of RTR track you are using? Now that the Peco bullhead is available have you switched to that, or has the need to use the matching PECO foam underlay precluded it?

The other thing I find fascinating is how you build up the baseboards in these system-type layouts. I keep thinking that I want to start with building nice perfect boards first, whereas you seem to be building each one up with all sorts of different types of wood and supports at different angles. Is this all planned too?

Thanks. 

Edited by Adrock
  • Like 2

I've been watching from the sidelines, but it's great to see how the 'last great project' is coming along.

Hope you and Jill are well.

All the best.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

How do you cut your ply road bed into such nice neat curves... I need to do something similar

Hi Dr G-F! Does the following picture give you a clue?

IMG_6512.JPG.1580616c5f70d4d02f56958e8c9bb300.JPG

This was during the construction of Shap Wells. The key thing to point out here are the alignment pins (you can see the two bottom left most clearly numbered '14' and '15'. The piece of trackbed wood was cut over-wide initially, based on a 'first pass' at the alignment then the pins have been precisely positioned by measuring the offset of one from the two adjacent (technical term - versine, a measure of curvature rather than radius) to give the final adjustment. With 'correct' 45mm track centre spacings, I calculate that the overall width of the trackbed is 120mm (to allow for ballast shoulder and cess) which then gives the two final cut lines that the jigsaw is carefully following. As we're on an embankment here, the jigsaw is on its 45 deg. setting. For a viaduct or raised trackbed with a retaining wall (as per your example), then it's a simple straight cut.

So the key thing is to accurate determine the alignment of the track first then cut to suit - rather than the other way round ...

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 26/07/2020 at 08:42, Adrock said:

I absolutely love this - it’s great to see each piece develop and the way you anchor it all back to the master plan. Fast progress too...although you’ve had some practice of layout building under time pressure!!

Could I please just ask what type of RTR track you are using? Now that the Peco bullhead is available have you switched to that, or is the need to use the matching PECO foam underlay precluded it?

The other thing I find fascinating is how you build up the baseboards in these system-type layouts. I keep thinking that I want to start with building nice perfect boards first, whereas you seem to be building each one up with all sorts of different types of wood and supports at different angles. Is this all planned too?

Thanks. 

Hi there,

Thanks for your interest.

Track on the scenic sections is Code 75 (mainly Code 100 in the non-scenic areas). The new Peco bullhead track is very nice BUT by the 1950s, mainly of the more premier mainlines had already been re-laid (or were being re-laid) with flat bottom track and this applies to both the Shap and Settle-Carlisle routes. Where I shall be using the bullhead is for sidings and other secondary bits of running line. So in the Garsdale station area, the Hawes branch platform and the Hawes branchline itself will be bullhead - which means I'll have to save my pennies for one of the new double slips as there was one at the south end. Yes, I know that the sleeper spacing is not right on the standard Code 75 / Code 100; that's another 'life's too short' one again. One positive side effect however is this accentuates the contrast between the main running lines and adjacent sidings.

Wood for baseboards? It might appear to be a bit of a mish-mash and in some respects it is; however, there is 'method in the madness'. I have quite a supply of second-hand, 'recycled' wood so, where it is good enough, I'm using this for what I might loosely term the foundations of the layout, generally the bottom layer that won't ultimately be seen but requires to be a true n square n level structure. Thereafter, all trackbed pieces on the scenic areas is 9mm ply, without exception, easily my most favoured and preferred material for layout construction.

Is it planned? Not really! This is all about elephant eating so as I come to each part I sit (or stand) and stare at it with the trackplan in hand and gradually work out what I consider to be the best / most pragmatic solution to that particular bit. Sometimes that requires sleeping on it. It's constantly being adjusted and refined in my mind. The advantage of this being a home layout is that I don't have to skimp on weight AND I have the relative luxury of being able to rawl-plug stuff to the floor and screw into the walls with gay abandon. So I'm going slightly larger with everything at this stage so that I have firm and level foundations to build up from. The spirit level is never far from reach. Some maths is required to get the gradients right so that we don't have a 'foul' where two levels cross (75mm height difference is the 'rule of thumb') and so far it's working out OK in terms of achieving that AND the gradients being practical for large trains, aiming for no worse than 1 in 100. That bit, at least, is planned!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, drmditch said:

Will the foam underlay have an appropriate life span?

12-15 years in my experience. I have a theory that spraying it first (light grey) provides some protection from the UV light that causes the deterioration. So, I might have to replace it once during the layout's lifetime? - for me, not a reason not to use the stuff.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 26/07/2020 at 12:02, LNER4479 said:

12-15 years in my experience. I have a theory that spraying it first (light grey) provides some protection from the UV light that causes the deterioration. So, I might have to replace it once during the layout's lifetime? - for me, not a reason not to use the stuff.

Can you still get it?  I thought it had been discontinued....

I use Woodlands Scenics track bed which is very nice to use, although it doesn't squidge around the sleepers to give that well-groomed full ballasted look.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

plastic wheels (the latter consigned to the little round, grey filing cabinet in the corner of the room).

I usually keep those. I sometimes buy cheap wagons from bring-and-buy stalls at exhibitions, not because I want the wagons but because they have decent wheels. I swap the wheels for some redundant plastic ones then flog 'em at the next show...

Don't forget I lived in both Scotland and Yorkshire over the years.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4