Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

I used the King noard system with self locking legs, as above on Grren Ayre and each hoard is numbered on the operators side. The King boards have a K added. These build up to 6 units that are then joined together. The final 3 boards to be added, that join itvall together have no legs and have got known as Queen boards.

The layout does seem to be coming along well Graham and I always look forward to new instalments.

Jamie

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but I do wonder where you do the cutting of the wood into the quite elaborate shapes seen in the pictures above? Your room doesn't appear to be deep in sawdust, so is there another work area, or are you just a wizz with the Hoover? I've always found this a problem as wood dust seems to get everywhere and make a real mess, hence the question.

Many thanks,

John.

Does this answer your question?

20200919_180726.jpg.1d794174654705bd6347c26c16acd2b5.jpg

No special secret - pretty much Hoover up (other brands are available) as you go along ... well, once a week ... maybe ...

Plain handsawing isn't so bad; it's the jigsaw that creates the dust cloud. You can shove the Hoover nozzle end adapter thingy on but it's a bit of a faff.

If I'm honest, there's a fair layer of dust all over the nearby bit of layout at the moment so will need a good Hoover up before we run any trains. A job high on the 'to do' list is to get a piece of 9mm on top of this area (which will one day be the board for the Canal area but for now will just protect things)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks @LNER4479 for the comprehensive reply! I did scrutinise those photos at the start of the thread, but the extra detail you’ve provided makes it crystal clear!

If you’ll indulge me once more, what timber did you use for the folding legs and what have you used for the permanent supporting framework on the rest of Hills of the North?

On 21/09/2020 at 07:15, Tortuga said:

If you’ll indulge me once more, what timber did you use for the folding legs and what have you used for the permanent supporting framework on the rest of Hills of the North?

Legs are 3" x 1" planed timber (18mm x 70mm as it is actually sold by a well-known orange DIY store). Not only slightly sturdier than 2" x 1", but also gives you a bit more width to attach the hinges for the folding action.

For the permanent framework ... er ... well I'm actually making use of some recycled timber that has accumulated in the chapel so it's actually a right ol' mixture of all sorts, I'm afraid! All I'll say it that it is sturdy and well braced (I can drill into and rawl plug the concrete floor, which I appreciate not everyone can necessarily do). Whenever I do buy some new timber for the purpose, it will be the 3" x 1" stuff again. In fact, as you're about to find out, just been using some of that for the most recent piece of work ...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks - and yes, indeed. Avoid screwing into end grain unless absolutely necessary or not a particularly critical joint.

I always drill a pilot hole for any screwed joint. They may be self-tapping screws these days but the wood so displaced has got to go somewhere. I've got quite good a screwing down into 9mm ply (eg the ends of the boards in the last photo) but only with a pilot hole before hand - almost never splits.

Like you (by the sound of it), I used to enjoy Wednesday afternoon practical sessions in the school woodwork shop (and metalwork shop). I guess it's one of those things schools don't have these days ...

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I agree with the no-screwing into end grain, as I was taught it in woodworking at school. A subject I could not get on with; I much preferred metalwork!

One thing I did learn much later in life was from MFI (remember them?) Chipboard panels, screwed together (sometimes with real screws, not their own personalised fittings). I remember coming across some that went into the end of (chipboard) shelves - they supplied rawplugs (and a pre-drilled hole). Nowadays if I really have to go into end-of-grain, I fit Rawplugs - but those pre-drilled holes are never in stock in B&Q! Trust me, it works!

Stewart

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Station throat looks very realistic, even more amazing based on the fact that you’ve used (only?) proprietary points? It is correct to say that you paint the track and then it fix down, so that the painted tracks are the ones that are “done” and the rest is still to be done? 

• Like 1

Yep, 100% proprietary (Peco) points. Some minor trimming and bending to make it all fit but otherwise ... well, there you go! Unless you're tackling something like the diamond crossings junction that used to exist at the north end of Newcastle then I reckon most station throats can be assembled out of proprietary (Peco) points.

Yes (also) - those painted are back down for keeps - rest yet to be done. Also some point motor messing about required on account of additional / altered points, which I'm forcing myself to do before tackling the next set of points.

I also need to reinstate some wires, hook it up to a controller and see if it all works!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/09/2020 at 15:26, LNER4479 said:

a further stabling road in as well which will comfortably take three Duchesses(!). Very important, that.

I’ve realised that there are few things in life more important than places to take three (or more) Duchesses!

Great to see your progress, Graham. Hope to catch up soon.

best wishes,

Iain

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

May I ask if you do any additional modifications to the Peco 3-way points beyond the switching covered in the instructions? There still seems to be an element of relying on point-blade contact in the one I've installed.

2 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

May I ask if you do any additional modifications to the Peco 3-way points beyond the switching covered in the instructions? There still seems to be an element of relying on point-blade contact in the one I've installed.

Just to add my own bit of info here I have a Peco Code 75 three way point in my Loco Depot where I need reliable slow speed running.

I found that I couldn't get this with the standard point installation so I used the contacts on the Tortoise point motors to switch power to  the blades as required and this greatly improved performance.

• Thanks 1

The three-ways on Central station are actually Code 100 items (with adaptor fishplates for adjacent Code 75 track) as the Code 75 item (which - technically - is a tandem rather than three-way!) wasn't available at the time.

It's so long ago(!) that I can't fully remember: I think there is some frog switching involved but also some reliance on point blade contact.

If I'm brutally honest, it's a glorified fiddle yard which needs to pump trains out as quickly as possible, so scale speed running and prolonged shunting moves isn't really going to be the order of the day. Plus, the 3-ways are directly in front of the operating position, so a quick 'prod' to keep things moving if required will be the more likely modus operandi. Out on the main scenic part of the layout, or where pointwork is a bit more remote and / or in accessible in normal operation, different matter and full frog switching is more likely to be deployed. There is quite a prominent 3-way tandem point in the south end of Carlisle station throat so that will probably need doing 'properly' to facilitate more prototypical 'hands off' operation.

With so much to do, it's a case of prioritising the effort where it will have maximum benefit.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 24/09/2020 at 11:22, John Tomlinson said:

That's some very fine and sturdy work.

A long, long time ago I was taught both at school and by my Dad ( who'd served his time as a joiner), that you never screw into end grain. Something you've obviously followed as well, unlike many constructions that one sees.

John.

Our woodwork Master did not allow screws regardless of grain.  Everything had to be jointed and glued - horse/animal glue at that and it smelt

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

What an excellent post Graham. It makes my mouth water for what's to come.

24 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

One thing not immediately apparent from this view, is the slight curve in the tracks approaching the junction on the lines we've been looking at. This is quite noticeable on pictures and diagrams when you start looking so part of the last two weeks have been researching, pondering, trying things, coming back to it in the morning - ever mindful of the interplay with the rest of the layout (ie trying not to create a problem down the line).

That's interesting. My viaduct is on a 40ft radius curve, which on paper looks almost straight but when you look along the track, and see how it blends into another 40ft radius curve the other way as it crosses the lifting flap, it's anything but!

Couldn't agree more about sleeping on things. It's amazing how the brain processes stuff when you're asleep and in the morning everything suddenly makes sense.

27 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

The other 'big' decision made in thinking all this through and mapping it out is that this will become one of the critical operating positions for the layout. It's only when you see it for real and can place yourself in position that it 'clicks' in to place. I've worked out that there are eight - eight! - adjacent operating positions that this location needs to communicate with to run the layout so there's no way it could be somehow automated. So this will be a proper signalbox, mechanically operated and interlocked. Not sure if there'll be eight sets of block bells - not really worked that one through yet!

My sort of train set, as you know. Personally I don't use bells as it doesn't make sense to me to hear those outside your "own" signal box (I don't use DCC sound for that reason, among others, either). Instead, I use a system of lights and switches to simulate block working - including Line Clear releases on the section signals. I've also got in my head a sort of "First-come-first-served Tokenless Block" for the future single-line sections.

As always, looking forward to the next instalment.

All the best.

• Like 4

• LNER4479 changed the title to Hills of the North - Bog Junction, but not bogged down
14 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

What an excellent post Graham. It makes my mouth water for what's to come.

Thanks for that - it took me about two hours to put together, albeit sat in front of the tele with the laptop propped in front of me. So no actual modelling done last night but it's actually quite useful to document it all as that in itself makes you think about things a little.

7 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

This is all starting to look very familiar to me.....

An opportune moment to thank you for giving me access to your Carlisle research files. Photos like this are invaluable:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/40060076700/in/photostream/

• Like 3