Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• RMweb Gold

Cheltenham model center has commissioned the westerns from Dapol and they are currently being advertised in the toddler and Hornby mag. At a not too terrible price either. No connection just interested and thinking of buying one as I don't have a western. 

Regards Lez.  

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Or a load of high drollox....

ANYHOW 

Never happier than with a hot soldering iron in his hand, Andrew called in at HQ overnight. Anxious that the 'Up' (downhill) operating shouldn't feel left out, they too now have a nice shiny control panel with lots of buttons and lights to banjax and befuddle the bewildered. This should reduce nay eliminate the current tendency - despite best human endeavour - for up trains to return to a fiddle yard road of their choice rather than the one they're supposed to be heading for...

Should be in operation at York.

20200228_102155.jpg

20200228_102104.jpg

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 18

This should reduce nay eliminate the current tendency - despite best human endeavour - for up trains to return to a fiddle yard road of their choice rather than the one they're supposed to be heading for...

Doing that back at base would also reduce the alarming tendency of apparently isolated trains to set off when he poked his iron into something under the baseboard (as did happen at Glasgow).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

Noticing that there was an LMS service at the start of the sequence that I managed to miss, peeling away at Glasgow after the 50 finale, I was wondering......

..................................................................................

....................................................................................................

.....................................................................................................................How about an LNWR train or two :locomotive:

Edited by woodenhead
  • Agree 1

Had to walk past this at Glasgow last week............................ it was too busy, but went back for a couple of views in the last 90 minutes as things got quieter. Didn't see the whole sequence (as there's so much to see in the rest of the hall), so nice to see the set of photos depicting the various eras.

Great layout and looking forward to  seeing the rest of your masterplan being created.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/02/2020 at 19:10, jwealleans said:

One for Mr. Duck.  I gather he is the author of this rather nice kitchen car.

Shap-kitchen-car.jpg

Thank you Welly.

I can not take responsibility for anything other than soldering most of that together and making a pretty pattern of items on the roof. I did not do the vents as I did not have no vents when I dun it. 

Whoever has done the rest has made a damn fine job. I woud suggest to the C & W Foreman that he has a shufty at those naughty Comet bogies as, like on most Comet builds, the ride height might just need a  tad adjusting 'up'? I builded it so I feel like I can suggest that if that is OK?

One other thing, that is one serious train and as for that loco, I have seen it at work and it sounds like a diesel at speed. If anyone doubts what it could have been like if BR could have had the time and be arsed to modify it, then look at this.....          https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=duke+of+gloucester+on+the+devon+banks+u+tube&&view=detail&mid=14F852AB3F980CA1B2E114F852AB3F980CA1B2E1&&FORM=VDRVRV

Duck.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, WolfofBadenoch said:

I also meant to say i (and my dad), were very impressed with the banking / double heading of trains. How long does it take to set that up so that locos of different classes run at the same speed on DC?

It's just a case of trial and error. For a double header, you ideally need a the pilot loco to be a little more 'keen' than the train engine. Modern Hornby locos tend to start sooner than Bachmann ones so the double-headed parcels works quite well as the train engine is a Bachmann 'crab'.

For banking, you're looking for a situation where train loco is ideally doing two thirds of the work. This caused an issue with the Hornby Fowler 2-6-4Ts as they were too 'keen' and trying to push the whole train. Solution was to wire some resistors in series with the motor to slow them down. Also had to do same thing with Hornby Crosti 9F on the car train as, despite the not inconsiderable weight of 11 bogies with 4 die cast cars on each, it was still walking away with it, with the Bachmann Fairburn 2-6-4T trailing in its wake.

Once train and banker are matched then they stay rostered together - change them at your peril!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Testing banking operation on Wentworth junction I haven't tried to match the locos at all (they can't stay on the same trains anyway) and nearly all combinations seem to work. Looking along the train as it climbs the hill you can see where the couplings (DG) go slack and it's usually about halfway or so - but my trains are only moving at walking pace or not much faster.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

you can see where the couplings (DG) go slack and it's usually about halfway or so

That sounds about right - each loco doing half the work.

We used to get odd wear patterns on HSTs where the two middle trailers were coupled together - if both power cars were running properly the middle couplings were neither pushing nor pulling.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

For banking, you're looking for a situation where train loco is ideally doing two thirds of the work.

I'm sure you'll be happy to hear that although I can't remember which train it was, on the one i remember being banked, you could see in the couplings, that the banker was pushing about the last 1/3 of the wagons.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's an ambitious plan and I'm looking forward to seeing it progress.

Will Shap be permanently 'built into it' or do you have a plan that allows it to be temporarily removed for further exhibitions?

No, the whole idea is that certain sections (including Shap) will be removeable. Shap's only just getting going on the show circuit so I certainly don't want to cut it off at the knees in that respect. Other bits might need to be dismantle-able in order to get Shap out.

Not decided yet but it could be the case that the grand scheme is part dismantled during show season (say October to March) then set up again in the spring / summer for operating sessions? It can get pretty cold in the chapel in the middle of the winter!

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

No, the whole idea is that certain sections (including Shap) will be removeable. Shap's only just getting going on the show circuit so I certainly don't want to cut it off at the knees in that respect. Other bits might need to be dismantle-able in order to get Shap out.

Not decided yet but it could be the case that the grand scheme is part dismantled during show season (say October to March) then set up again in the spring / summer for operating sessions? It can get pretty cold in the chapel in the middle of the winter!

A magnum opus if there ever was one! 

I’m too as eager to see it finished, can’t wait to have a drive as well, if I am ever so privileged. 

It does get very cold in the chapel, I couldn’t feel my fingers when I was glueing the station support brackets on Grantham. Is there a way to add a heating system? 

• Friendly/supportive 2