Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Yes that fine wet and dry worked well..took ages to get your fingers clean and new skin to grow back on your finger tips though:D

Baz

Garryflex blocks were all the rage at one time. What happened to them? I use a Gaugemaster block but some folk round here reckon that the Roco one is better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Garryflex blocks were all the rage at one time. What happened to them? I use a Gaugemaster block but some folk round here reckon that the Roco one is better.

Hi Enodoc,

They are still available with the finest grit being 600 as below:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Proops-Garryflex-Block-Extra-Fine-600-Grit-Abrasive-Cleaner-M9278/292404134742?epid=16012879673&hash=item4414a50356:g:CQAAAOSwPkBaVzNC

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Here we go with the track cleaning debate then!

Have a read of this thread. It goes through about every conceivable method known to man and ends up coming right back on itself when someone examines some track that's been abrasively cleaned under a microscope ...

Conclusion? A bit like DC vs DCC, OO vs EM/P4, pick-ups, etc all rolled in to one - as many opinions and preferences with no obvious overall conclusion other than do what works best for you!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Here we go with the track cleaning debate then!

Conclusion? A bit like DC vs DCC, OO vs EM/P4, pick-ups, etc all rolled in to one - as many opinions and preferences with no obvious overall conclusion other than do what works best for you!

True enough Graham but I'd suggest that there are two separate matters here - getting the track clean in the first place and then keeping it clean. I think the answers are different in each case.

• Agree 1

Yes, exactly my thoughts (honest). I also think there's a difference to solutions you might apply to a permanent home layout versus those applied to an exhibition layout, particularly if the latter is stored between shows (and thus not subject to general dust etc gently falling on it all the time).

As a final thought for now (ha! some hope ...) there is another solution - run your layout every day! My Dad does exactly that and virtually NEVER has to clean either rails or stock!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

As a final thought for now (ha! some hope ...) there is another solution - run your layout every day! My Dad does exactly that and virtually NEVER has to clean either rails or stock!

A retirement target for me.  Thank you!

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I like this - i like this a lot.

No, dear, I'm not playing with my trains, I'm doing track maintenance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I used to do that many years ago with my Wigan Wallgate layout and it does work. Come to think of it Wentworth Junction is getting a lot of running (testing/playing?) at the moment so the same process may be going on.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, and suitably inspired, here are the first rumblings of the next stage (there's only so many pictures I can show of points being taken up and fixed down again):

475216363_Carlisle_masterplan_BogJunc.jpg.f8e35e28d67fae9f300cb9dca6844c7e.jpg 

Firstly, an extract from the plan as that might aid understanding as to which bit I'm banging on about. With work progressing steadily on the refurb of Central station, time to start thinking about how it will link up with the rest of the layout built so far. So, as per plan, this involves a lengthy stretch of track running diagonally across the chapel, with the principal prototype area of interest being the delightfully named Bog Junction on the goods avoiding lines. On my scheme, this will be a busy stretch of railway as I'm going to make use of these lines as the way to get to and from Central station (top right) hence there will (unprototypically) be as much passenger as goods traffic. But I'm hoping to preserve a few features so as we can at least photograph goods trains here for authenticity.

DSC10416.JPG.f4aec81053ec4549a6efcc84db0805b8.JPG

So here is the best part of a 8' x 4' sheet of ply with tracks just plonked into position as a first sketch out. All seems to fit in as per the plan. The idea - for now - is that I will construct these boards so as they can be fairly easily dismantled and placed to one side. As well as still giving room to put Grantham up, more importantly (perhaps?) behind the red curtains is the large door to the outside world through which a large transit van will fit, handy for layout loading / unloading on a dark winter's night.

DSC10419.JPG.0330003d1252ce0caa1c3e2d9377343d.JPG

Viewed from t'other end, you can perhaps see better the relationship with Central station in the distance, requiring a further six foot or so to connect up.

DSC10418.JPG.5d4acf94adb5643b9ad3dfabac02d1c0.JPG

Looked at in more detail, at the bottom left hand end - and in a 'tweak' to the original plan - an off-scene double junction crossover is required, as shown. This is because the return tracks from the S&C route will now be a separate set of double track lines, running through where the Duette currently is. Straight on at the double junction will be the passenger lines, taking them round the rising curve into Citadel station; across the double junction is for the goods traffic to pick up the goods lines to Bog Junc. and thus into Dentonholme Goods yard (which, despite the presence of the large Durran Hill complex was part funded by the Midland and used by them).

DSC10423.JPG.fdb642c5dd8c05dc4ed368b8db0ef017.JPG

This is the principal view of Bog Junc. and shows another double junction, configured as per the prototype. So, visually, this should look quite good when finished (ha!). Immediately behind are the series of bridges carrying the lines into the main station, first the Maryport & Carlisle route then the West Coast main line tracks (shown plonked in place). A third set of bridges then took a set of goods lines into the LNWR's Crown Street goods depot. These will also be depicted as part of this scene but not mocked up for now. Further behind can be seen the other key component, namely the double track formation of the goods lines curving away towards the Upperby complex, which will be in the top left hand corner of the plan. So, all in all, this scene will be pretty faithful to how it was, at least in looks.

DSC10422.JPG.2ad33f02bbf22314510d44d1effea196.JPG

The view the other way, however is more of a fantasy / compromise. The two sets of lines will simply cross over each other on the flat, which will require the use of four long crossings (and a lot of switching). On the prototype, there were two double junctions end to end - and there was also the triangle of lines which fed the Maryport and Carlisle goods lines, part of which still survives (just?). The alignment of the tracks leading on to Central station are self evident enough; those crossing over will continue to curve round and into Dentonholme goods yard.

Exciting times!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 19

Yes, meant to say that, although it was two double junctions back-to-back on the prototype, it was aligned so as to given preference to the goods traffic coming off the West Coast towards Dentonholme, everything else had to 'wiggle' through the junctions. So in this respect my version is at least reflective of the prototype.

This was of course the route that the last ever through freight train took in 1984, the runaway freightliner vehicles that destroyed the river bridge just round the corner.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Ooh flat crossings! I find them absurdly exciting.  

You’ll have to spend a weekday afternoon at Newark on Trent at the last standard gauge Flat Crossing. Very entertaining watching Doncaster squeezing Oil trains between the LNER services.  Mind you I do get the best seat in the house, when at work.

Paul

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Neither, I can stand track side and watch all the Multi-coloured Pointy things, plus all the various Boxes scuttling back and forth whilst I keep an eye out for any Incursions by Miscreants and Creatures!!!!

Red Leader knows what I get up to!

Paul

• Like 1

Just finished reading through this from the start (It’s been a slow couple of days at work) and wow what a journey! I remember reading the Model Rail article a while ago and being impressed by Shap, but the scale of Hills if the North is something else entirely!

What I really enjoy, reading topics like this, are the discussions, reminiscences and stories about the prototype that come to light - as I missed both mainline steam (by quite a bit) and the majority of loco hauled diesel services, it fascinates me what oddments turn up: for example, I had no idea Class 40s whistled having never seen them running.

Most interesting to me was your method of baseboard construction: I’m sorely tempted to replicate the permanently fixed structure with a removable exhibition layout on top for my own layout, which lives in my loft. I like the idea of a layout that is permanently erected, but could be exhibited. To that end can I ask, do the boards for Shap have two pairs of legs each or do some have a single pair?
Keep up the good work! Definitely following this thread!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi there,

Thanks for kind comments and welcome aboard.

I think I can answer your question by delving into the archives. Some of these may have been posted in the first few pages of the thread but no matter.

IMG_6489.JPG.a451da281956997fa92dc014071ea911.JPG

Only one of the four boards on the Shap bank scene has two sets of legs and it's this one, the one with the Shap Wells road bridge on it. Shown in very spindly form here, the first time it was standing on its own four legs (and somewhat wobbly at this stage!). I call this the 'King' board and - fairly obviously, I think - is the one to set up first.

IMG_6493_LR.jpg.bbf15d84e4fb6b43ef6c922ab26a0834.jpg

The boards either side only have one set of legs and therefore 'piggy back' off the King board. So the board nearest is the final board as the line enters the cutting, with its own legs this end, but other end supported by the King board. Then the Shap Wells road bridge board (the King board) - note the hole in the central spine for the road - with its two sets of legs. Then the third board (Salterwath-ish) with legs at the far end. It's still all a bit temporary and wobbly at this stage.

IMG_6523.JPG.6b670f6672ad7af945ae0c258ac6cefd.JPG

This gives a closer view of the board-to-board supporting arrangements. The two respective end profile pieces are cut together and pilot holes drilled for the joining bolts. There's also a piece of 3-by-1 arranged horizontally as a support ledge (screwed into the folding legs of the King board) to provide extra support.

IMG_6544.JPG.715b633e76b256beb2293bb03edd8450.JPG

Finally, the piggy back boards have a folding bracing spar fitted at 45 degrees; you can see one of them here bottom left. It's hinged in the middle (so three hinges altogether) and it automatically deploys as you fold the legs out. With these either side of the King board, the wobbling stops!

Hope that helps?

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but I do wonder where you do the cutting of the wood into the quite elaborate shapes seen in the pictures above? Your room doesn't appear to be deep in sawdust, so is there another work area, or are you just a wizz with the Hoover? I've always found this a problem as wood dust seems to get everywhere and make a real mess, hence the question.

Many thanks,

John.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1