Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• RMweb Gold

Ooh, don't worry. Plenty of Duchesses to hand, just waiting for a broader timescale to include 1964 and earlier...

That second photo highlights an interesting aspect of this layout. The area around the summit box looks much better on a curve that on the straight as it should be.

• Like 2

I posted this superb video on Tony Wrights thread, where this layout was being discussed. It really belongs in this thread just as a reminder as to how hard Shap is for steam locos heading north, even today. Some nice views at the end at the summit, Tangmere seems a bit troubled, the A4 (in a snowstorm) & Scot romp over, but with a touch of slip !!

Brit15

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Another reader hoping to see this down South sometime.

If you need any more inspiration I have an album of pictures taken around Tebay over a week in June 1967, https://www.flickr.com/photos/unravelled/albums/72157683699421971

One interesting event was 70025 banking, presumably being useful on its way north as a light engine.

Thanks

Dave

• Like 4

That second photo highlights an interesting aspect of this layout. The area around the summit box looks much better on a curve that on the straight as it should be.

post-16151-0-79245800-1512324429_thumb.jpg

Well, not quite on a straight... It does wiggle about a bit. But, of course, nothing like a 90 degree bend. Well, 80 degrees actually, as I straightened it out for a couple of feet as it passes the box. Otherwise, 'needs must' in terms of turning the railway round to get back to the fiddle yard; the cutting and the curve provides a good foil for the model.

Another reader hoping to see this down South sometime.

If you need any more inspiration I have an album of pictures taken around Tebay over a week in June 1967, https://www.flickr.com/photos/unravelled/albums/72157683699421971

One interesting event was 70025 banking, presumably being useful on its way north as a light engine.

Thanks

Dave

Thanks for that - I enjoyed looking at those. One or two interesting snippets in terms of trains and formations. And pics of both 75037 and 75039, the two Std 4MT bankers we had running at the show.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I posted this superb video on Tony Wrights thread, where this layout was being discussed. It really belongs in this thread just as a reminder as to how hard Shap is for steam locos heading north, even today. Some nice views at the end at the summit, Tangmere seems a bit troubled, the A4 (in a snowstorm) & Scot romp over, but with a touch of slip !!

Brit15

Just a "like" can not do justice to this superb footage.

Seems to me that, fifty years on, some of these locos are being asked to take on more, unassisted, than they would have been back then and coping very  well. A great credit to those who maintain them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifIMG_6711.JPG

Well, not quite on a straight... It does wiggle about a bit. But, of course, nothing like a 90 degree bend. Well, 80 degrees actually, as I straightened it out for a couple of feet as it passes the box. Otherwise, 'needs must' in terms of turning the railway round to get back to the fiddle yard; the cutting and the curve provides a good foil for the model.

Thanks for that - I enjoyed looking at those. One or two interesting snippets in terms of trains and formations. And pics of both 75037 and 75039, the two Std 4MT bankers we had running at the show.

That photo is a classic example of how photography changes our perception of reality when it comes to curves on the railway. The map shows the line through there as being quite straight but most of us model according to what we have seen through a lens.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just a "like" can not do justice to this superb footage.

Seems to me that, fifty years on, some of these locos are being asked to take on more, unassisted, than they would have been back then and coping very  well. A great credit to those who maintain them.

What a superb 25 minutes. I've never really heard any of those loco's in full cry like that and the Scot is a beast; what a great sound. Loco's being seen and heard as they should be, working blo#dy hard and on a fantastic bit fo railway. Thanks for linking that.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Brit15

Blimey, I'm very surprised they let Tangmere up there unassisted with twelve on. The Light Pacifics are so light on their feet and hate reverse curves with loads of camber.

Some magnificent exhausts and what sounds......wonderful. Really made my day.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Mr Duck... Tangmere needs some more lead in it .. it lost its feet a few times getting to the top of the hill....

Still a Spam makes a change to proper ex LMS engines and ex LNER interlopers!

In reality as trains on the model get to the top of the hill they do start to pick up speed all on their own... no extra controller power required.

And when the layout is backdated lots of Jubs, Scots, the odd Princess and lots of loverly Duchesses

Baz

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Mr Duck... Tangmere needs some more lead in it .. it lost its feet a few times getting to the top of the hill....

In reality as trains on the model get to the top of the hill they do start to pick up speed all on their own... no extra controller power required.

And when the layout is backdated lots of Jubs, Scots, the odd Princess and lots of loverly Duchesses

Baz

Hi Baz

Having seen the photo with the OLE in place I was going to offer to draw up some mast for you but maybe you don't need my services?

post-16423-0-40930200-1512408706_thumb.png

• RMweb Premium

Baz

I'd like to see a Modified Spam doing that climb to see if it was more sure footed. I'd also like to see Tornado doing it as well as that is really a diesel in disguise. :nono:

I'd also like to see Tornado doing it as well as that is really a diesel in disguise. :nono:

Like this you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNfXQ41Sm98

Think I must have been stood standing next to this chap at the summit on what was otherwise a recent fact-finding mission. We decided to omit the green palisade fencing on the model version.

post-16151-0-91187600-1512410744_thumb.jpg

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Like this you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNfXQ41Sm98

Think I must have been stood standing next to this chap at the summit on what was otherwise a recent fact-finding mission. We decided to omit the green palisade fencing on the model version.

Shame about the Chocolate and Cream coaches..... :no:

On Robert Carol's BR Coaching Stock Yahoo Group there was a list of pre nationalisation coaches that were painted blue-grey. One slight problem today Yahoo is saying "Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content."

Not quite, it's a list of those recorded as having carried blue/grey. I cannot vouch for its completeness.

I have seen several references to the post-war SO type (not porthole) carrying blue/grey but so far I have not seen any photos. There are photos to confirm at least one porthole CK, two porthole SK and several porthole BSK in blue/grey plus at least one BSK from the post-war but pre-porthole batch. Plus full brakes and sleepers.

• RMweb Premium

I'd better finish start the AL1 that was supposed to run on Hartford Junction then.

I could quite happily etch some 4mm OHLE gear from the early 20th century to represent the scheme proposed by the L&NWR/LYR in 1921.

Jamie

Brit15

Thank you so much for posting that film.  It brought back fond memories of my early days...

My mother was a Scot and my father English and we moved south to London when I was less than a year old.  As my father was originally in the Navy and then in the Police, my mother used to take us back home to Glasgow every year for the school summer holidays.  The journey up was usually The Royal Scot from Euston hauled by a Coronation Class and as a KX fan, the journey up opened my eyes to so many different loco's I had never seen before.  It was six hours of transpotting heaven with sheds full of locomotives every few miles.  Once you headed north of Carlisle the scenery changed dramatically and the noise from the loco went up several notches. My notebooks were full of numbers by the time we arrived in Glasgow and then we had the joy of the Glasgow trams. Another set of rails and pointwork only this time, down the centre of the road.

Six weeks of travelling into Central, St Enoch, Buchanan St and Queen Street several days a week. So many wonderful memories.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The journey up was usually The Royal Scot from Euston hauled by a Coronation Class ...

Once you headed north of Carlisle Preston the scenery changed dramatically and the noise from the loco went up several notches.

Hi Gordon,

Great memories (you lucky man!); however, I think your memory might be playing tricks slightly. Shap is twixt Lancaster and Carlisle.

One of my favourite books in the library is 'The Power of the Duchesses' by David Jenkinson. In there, he has a section entitled 'North of Preston - Duchess country'. What more inspiration could a man need?

• Like 2