Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

Battle space turbo car??  :jester:

or rather more Black 5s, more EE type 4s, more Brush Type 4s........

Baz

Hi Baz

That is the sort of thing that is missing from train sets, something for the 8 to 12 year olds to play with. The blue engine is OK for the 3 to 7 year age group but to expect an 8 year old to play with "real trains" that grown ups play with is a bit much. What play value is there in a highly detailed Merchant Navy? Where a si-fi army rocket car with a big machine gun is ace. 8 to 12 year olds want to play with trains not operate model railways. 12 and over stop playing and hopefully take up model raiwlays as a hobby. If they don't have that intermediate play thing from Thomas to "proper" model railways the hobby loses them for good.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 6

Anyhow...

With only a few days to go before Shap is out again at this weekend's Leeds show, there has been the inevitable burning of midnight oil to tackle a few jobs on the 'to do' list.

post-16151-0-27175800-1540418196_thumb.jpg

One of these involves the summit signalbox, as captured in this lovely picture by Tony Wright. But can you see the very obvious item on the 'to do' list? Yes - it all looks rather bare inside!

post-16151-0-71940200-1540418238_thumb.jpg

Having checked out various options for interior kits, I settled upon the Severn Models brass etch (ref D10). I like working with brass and I felt that a etch might give me a few options - and so it proved.

post-16151-0-42851000-1540418251_thumb.jpg

Here is the main thing I have done. The etch provides for levers with a 'standard' catch arrangement. However, Shap summit was an LNWR box, which almost certainly featured the distinctive 'collar' type catches instead. So - a bit of fiddling with a fine pair of pliers resulted in this. Now, just have to repeat it 35 more times.

post-16151-0-72892600-1540418365_thumb.jpg

Jumping on a bit, here is a picture from a few hours ago, with all details painted and most stuck down - the others are held with a blob of Blu-tack for now

post-16151-0-75432500-1540418382_thumb.jpg

About the best view I can get looking in through the windows. To 'gild the lilly' a little, I have researched as best I can the arrangements of the levers in Shap summit box (courtesy of the SIgnalling Record Society trackplans). The levers are painted accordingly and the ones showed 'pulled' relate to actual moves. In this case, the left-hand-most levers, 1,2,3,4 correspond to a northbound train heading up the bank. The other set, 27,28,32 are for an up train heading into the loop behind the box. This includes the blue facing point lock lever. I guess that's a detail that no-one would ever detect looking at the model at a show but - hey - it's good to know it's there!

(before anyone asks, I've only managed to make two out of the three sets of 12 levers so far. The middle set (levers 13-24) will have to wait for another day. All of those will be 'back in the frame' as there's no other move that can reasonably be happening with the above levers pulled.)

post-16151-0-80394600-1540418410_thumb.jpg

Finally, the view from the front which at least gives a suggestion of life in the box.

Do say 'hi' if you're coming to the Leeds show. Otherwise, we hope to post a suitable report - including that 'new' train that we're keeping under wraps until the show.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Anyhow...

With only a few days to go before Shap is out again at this weekend's Leeds show, there has been the inevitable burning of midnight oil to tackle a few jobs on the 'to do' list.

attachicon.gifShap 02.jpg

One of these involves the summit signalbox, as captured in this lovely picture by Tony Wright. But can you see the very obvious item on the 'to do' list? Yes - it all looks rather bare inside!

attachicon.gifDSC04644.JPG

Having checked out various options for interior kits, I settled upon the Severn Models brass etch (ref D10). I like working with brass and I felt that a etch might give me a few options - and so it proved.

attachicon.gifDSC04587.JPG

Here is the main thing I have done. The etch provides for levers with a 'standard' catch arrangement. However, Shap summit was an LNWR box, which almost certainly featured the distinctive 'collar' type catches instead. So - a bit of fiddling with a fine pair of pliers resulted in this. Now, just have to repeat it 35 more times.

attachicon.gifDSC04647.JPG

Jumping on a bit, here is a picture from a few hours ago, with all details painted and most stuck down - the others are held with a blob of Blu-tack for now

attachicon.gifDSC04650.JPG

About the best view I can get looking in through the windows. To 'gild the lilly' a little, I have researched as best I can the arrangements of the levers in Shap summit box (courtesy of the SIgnalling Record Society trackplans). The levers are painted accordingly and the ones showed 'pulled' relate to actual moves. In this case, the left-hand-most levers, 1,2,3,4 correspond to a northbound train heading up the bank. The other set, 27,28,32 are for an up train heading into the loop behind the box. This includes the blue facing point lock lever. I guess that's a detail that no-one would ever detect looking at the model at a show but - hey - it's good to know it's there!

(before anyone asks, I've only managed to make two out of the three sets of 12 levers so far. The middle set (levers 13-24) will have to wait for another day. All of those will be 'back in the frame' as there's no other move that can reasonably be happening with the above levers pulled.)

attachicon.gifDSC04652.JPG

Finally, the view from the front which at least gives a suggestion of life in the box.

Do say 'hi' if you're coming to the Leeds show. Otherwise, we hope to post a suitable report - including that 'new' train that we're keeping under wraps until the show.

Very nice Graham.

How about connecting the levers up to servos so that they move according to the actual position of the points and signals? You could also fix the bobby to a stepper motor belt drive so that he moved up and down the frame as the levers moved...

Just sayin'.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very nice Graham.

How about connecting the levers up to servos so that they move according to the actual position of the points and signals? You could also fix the bobby to a stepper motor belt drive so that he moved up and down the frame as the levers moved...

Just sayin'.

:nono:  :mail:

P

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Graham.

Just sayin'.

You've been watching too many episodes of that c**p "model railway" show on Channel 5.

• RMweb Premium

Very nice Graham.

Just sayin'.

You can articulate the figure as well so he/she leans and stoops and pulls etc. Not sure about the signing the book and tea making movements though. :onthequiet:

I.M. Possybull

• Like 1

G'day Folks

Forgive me as one who knows nothing about the LNWR, except they had 'Black' engines, but 'Shap' box hasn't any external steps, did they have them  'inside'  ??

manna

It simply must have had internal steps, as views of both end elevations do not show any exterior staircase.

Thanks for reminding me - I might yet carve a hole in the floor to indicate where the steps emerged!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Getting ready for another day of trains heading up a (real) incline and others going down...

A new train has been added to the fiddle yard storage/running facilities...and no...it isn't a Battle Space Turbo Car!

Baz

• Like 2

Reduced formation? The prototype picture looks to have 16-20 transporter wagons on.

The true story is that we were all set to have it as a banked train but when we tried it there was daylight between the buffers of the guards van and fastest banker we had to hand! So it ran unbanked for the show.

Obviously, the gradient isn't steep enough...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Reduced formation? The prototype picture looks to have 16-20 transporter wagons on.

The true story is that we were all set to have it as a banked train but when we tried it there was daylight between the buffers of the guards van and fastest banker we had to hand! So it ran unbanked for the show.

Obviously, the gradient isn't steep enough...

Perhaps add some 'drag' to the carflats by wedging some foam between the axles and bogies?

Really do like the overall look of this.

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps add some 'drag' to the carflats by wedging some foam between the axles and bogies?

Really do like the overall look of this.

That's a good idea Mr Pinfield however I think one would only need to do the last couple of wagons and the B Van giving a sort of tail end Charlie 'drag'.

P

• RMweb Premium

Pics 4 & 5; superb looking scenes. 

This just screams out for super smoke effects and suitable sounds. Sadly that's far away except for possibly sound(s) from the archives (Mr Handly's products/), but no smoke effects as nobody has yet come up with the mechanisms to create that successfully. If the sound was available you would need some sort of shield surround for the layout so as not to #### off all the other guests. Of course, you could have your own, exclusive cabin in which to operate or have something like drummers do in confined spaces (and no, that does not mean no drums and or no sticks :drag: )? 

I do hope you get an invite for a show in the midlands/north for early next year.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ducky

the Brush Type 4 on the Freightiners has sound as has one of the English Electric Type 4s.. they sound nice working up the hill, but also sound quite restrained coming downhill..

Ba

• Like 3

PICTURES FROM AN EXHIBITION

A day later than promised...

attachicon.gifDSC04658_crop.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC04659.JPG

We were afforded prime spot in the 'greenhouse' area, adjacent to the pay booths

attachicon.gifDSC04663.JPG

Backstage, something seems to have amused Paul. A good range of the Shap 1967 fleet can be seen. However, this should be the last time the layout is seen in this form. All being well, next time out we should have a new fiddle yard, more suited to the layout - and a broader range of stock covering 1953-1968 (ish).

attachicon.gifDSC04664.JPG

Out front, Tony's preserved 4498 recreates her RCTS 'Border Limited' railtour of 28th October 1967

attachicon.gifDSC04665.JPG

A banked freight blasts past the gallery at Shap Wells. Rear end assistance is provided by 75039, one of the final Tebay bankers.

attachicon.gifDSC04667.JPG

A few minutes later, 75039 drops back down to Tebay as the final Jubilee in service, No.45562 'Alberta' steadily ascends the bank with a fully fitted van train.

attachicon.gifDSC04661.JPG

Another railtour, this time headed by preserved 7029 'Clun Castle' has passed under Greenholme road bridge. Ivo Peters and his friend Norman Lockett compare notes.

attachicon.gifDSC04671.JPG

Later in the day, the sun illuminates the fell side alongside Shap summit. Std 4MT 4-6-0 75037 (another one of the last bankers operating out of Tebay), drops off the rear of a EE Type 4-hauled oil train.

attachicon.gifDSC04672.JPG

More interesting lighting catches Barry's distinctive green + blue DMU as it begins the descent of Shap bank.

That's all folks! Stay tuned for more Shap / Carlisle news once Grantham is safely back from St Evenage in January...

Stupendous shots of a stupendous layout!!

I loved this at Warley and am really looking forward to seeing it again!!

Keep up the excellent work.

Chris.

• Like 1