Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

DSC09221.JPG.448ce5bbaafa0733f0e6668bfa449e56.JPG

And now it's gorn grey (primer). Black to follow shortly ...

Meanwhile ...

DSC09225.JPG.0c4f9758b3d4769f55e15fb98c8b5381.JPG

DSC09231.JPG.6e08fb17af1c83fe94688c8ae221cc70.JPG

Hornby Patriot No.45534 'E Tootal Broadhurst' has become rebuilt Jubilee No.45736 'Phoenix'.

In truth, it's little more than adding the detail parts (front steps, draincocks, etc) and renumbering / renaming. Oh, and a change to late emblem. I've also - as you've probably noticed - I've given her a coat of gloss varnish to 'lift' the rather lacklustre, powdery rendition of Brunswick green of the Hornby model. You've no doubt also noticed that one of the tender wheels is not on the rails...

The plan is that she will subsequently be weathered into 1964 condition, complete with cabside strip and thus be a recreation of a memorable sighting my Dad had at Shap Wells in August 1964, captured on his cine camera (hence grainy image).

1724256957_1964Railfilmsvideo_Moment(5).jpg.d657489abc375cd06052cb1c2eea79c7.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

12 hours ago, Brocp said:

She also needs a Jubilee cab. The Pat cab is wrong for the rebuilt Jubilees.

Hi guys,

So what's the visual difference please between the cabs of a rebuilt Patriot and a rebuilt Jubilee ?

regards

Ian

I'm assuming that they're subtle and therefore not detectable from three feet away on a moving loco ... ?

There is of course a significant visual difference between the original Fowler style cabs fitted to the 'Scots and 'Pats when first built with and the later Stanier cab. During rebuilding, the 'Scots retained their original cabs but the Patriots were equipped with Stanier cabs. So a rebuilt Patriot model is a closer starting point from which to create 45736.

Although nominally of same 5XP (later 6P) configuration, there are no doubt lots of detail differences between a rebuilt 'Pat and the two Jubilees so modified (which were actually modified first before the Patriot rebuilding programme got underway). However, I have neither the time nor inclination at the present time to worry too much about that. I suspect that the Hornby model is the inevitable compromise between it and the 'Scot in any case - although probably better than the Mainline equivalents of the 1980s?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to seeing the limousine cab Fowler at the weekend.

Does the "more things I'd like to do" include the below the footplate Stanier features which differentiated them from the earlier batches?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

Very tasty work on the Fowler. I seem to remember that someone else once did some etches for the same conversion - Perserverance, maybe? - but I've never seen them.

Yes Perserverance did some etches. They were the wrong size. Now I have a donor Fowler tank I am tempted to do a conversion with the Judith Edge sides.

Peterborough should be interesting as I have scrounged some visiting locos and added another Duchess to my box of locos.

Baz

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, 5 C said:

Looking forward to seeing the limousine cab Fowler at the weekend.

Does the "more things I'd like to do" include the below the footplate Stanier features which differentiated them from the earlier batches?

Yup. The rear bogie would benefit from bolster details being added amongst other things. I also need to refit the injectors!

I also removed the ejector and have not yet refitted it yet as I've noted a wiggly pipe making its way along the tank top towards the cab. The tank vents aren't the right shape and, as Mike points out in his destructions, there should be S-shape rear vents climbing up the rear of the cab.

Plenty to keep me busy ... but having got 42424 to where she is now, immediate priority will be to lift a few other locos to this sort of level. Still a few too many 'out of the box' locos on the roster at the moment.

• Like 2

I thought it was Crownline who did the Limousine cab etches.  Anyway, Mike does them now and they contribute to a very fine model.  

Alan

Edited by Buhar
spulling
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

I do rather like 'Jubilees'. Second only to the incomparable 'Duchesses', they are my fave Stanier locos. Something to do with aesthetics, an inspired choice of names and the distinctive Jubilee 3-cylinder roar when working hard. So it is always a labour of love to work on such locos.

So do I. With the Stanier tender, one of the best-proportioned locos to my eyes.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

So do I. With the Stanier tender, one of the best-proportioned locos to my eyes.

Thats why I have 5 of them

Billy Ruffian, Newfoundland, leeward Islands, bechuanaland.. and, a new edition..Sea Horse..ideal for Chapel en le Frith! (Well that's my excuse any roads up!)

As it happens there could be some visitors to Shap over the weekend including a 4-4-4-4.

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

So you need to push the starters in both cabs.. long arms required!

and it only really had one fire.. unlike CoBos which all seem to have a burn mark on the bodysides/roof!

Baz