Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

My experience of being a passenger in a first generation dmu on Shap was that they went up very slowly and were mostly in first gear!

Cheers

Probably about as slowly as a class 40 on a special I was once on.

Jamie

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Probably about as slowly as a class 40 on a special I was once on.

Jamie

I imagine that was after the bankers had gone. Expresses with D200 power were normally banked from Tebay. The loco was likely close to being overloaded on Shap on it's own.

Cheers

2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I'm used to going up Shap at 50mph (unassisted) with steam. 6233 in 2002 and 60163 in 2010.CIMG3091_crop.jpg.15450810a1dc0ffc3aef421d46e46145.jpg

I  think you will find that an 8P pacific is a good deal more powerful than a D200, also these 8P engines in preservation are pretty pampered things, it would have been unusual in steam days for this to have happened.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/12/2019 at 15:30, PenrithBeacon said:

I imagine that was after the bankers had gone. Expresses with D200 power were normally banked from Tebay. The loco was likely close to being overloaded on Shap on it's own.

Cheers

It was a Cumbrian Mountain Express in the 80's. Class 40 Preston to Carlisle (rather slowly) the IIRC Sir Lamiel to Hellifield. Sir Nigel took over to Carnforth then the quite nice sight, at least to me, of Sir Nigel  being replaced by an early electric (81 or 85) for a sprint back to Preston. All in all a good day out but the performance of the 40 on Grayrigg and Shap seemed appalling to me. However  some of the occupants of my coach enthused about it.

Jamie

53324405_ShapWellsEEType4beingbanked.jpg.45cc0c2a7b9d508279144cebfe40c99a.jpg

I've always been rather intrigued by this picture (of an EE Type 4).

Look carefully about two thirds of the way down the train and you'll see what looks suspiciously to me like another locomotive (can't make out whether it's steam of diesel?) lending assistance but with a further rake of coaches behind it! I don't think it's a fluke 'snap' with a train going down the hill as I can't see any sign of a loco right at the back and all vehicles appear to be on the same track (ie the 'down' / uphill direction).

The most likely scenario is that the lead train has got into trouble, with the next train behind it already having passed Tebay (hence not possible to send out a banker to offer assistance). In such a circumstance, the following loco is having to assist as well as hauling its own train - there's 19 vehicles in shot in total! Whichever way, the lead loco is clearly not having a good day ...

Apologies to whoever took the photograph but it was freely downloadable from t'Web (albeit v. low res) - I just didn't make a note of where I got it from.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Look carefully about two thirds of the way down the train and you'll see what looks suspiciously to me like another locomotive (can't make out whether it's steam of diesel?) lending assistance but with a further rake of coaches behind it! I don't think it's a fluke 'snap' with a train going down the hill as I can't see any sign of a loco right at the back and all vehicles appear to be on the same track (ie the 'down' / uphill direction).

The most likely scenario is that the lead train has got into trouble, with the next train behind it already having passed Tebay (hence not possible to send out a banker to offer assistance). In such a circumstance, the following loco is having to assist as well as hauling its own train - there's 19 vehicles in shot in total! Whichever way, the lead loco is clearly not having a good day ...

Apologies to whoever took the photograph but it was freely downloadable from t'Web (albeit v. low res) - I just didn't make a note of where I got it from.

Very modellable...

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Grahame

The video you have shared, isn't the fireman on Britannia good, no sign of smoke just steam coming out the chimney. Where as the Jubilee is pouring out semi burnt muck from its funnel. 

The story - so I understand - is that the Jubilee wasn't steaming very well so they were probably down on pressure with a 'black' fire hence the slow rate of progress. Britannia clearly has all the steam she could need but the driver is 'plodding' to avoid being stopped at the signal ahead just before the summit. Once the Jubilee had cleared section beyond the summit, the Brit gets the road and you can hear him open up and accelerate away. Note however the following TPE DMU getting caught up in the backwash of it all...

I gather they've since 'sorted' the drafting with Galatea and it goes like stink now.:locomotive:

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Grahame

The video you have shared, isn't the fireman on Britannia good, no sign of smoke just steam coming out the chimney. Where as the Jubilee is pouring out semi burnt muck from its funnel. 

Hello.

It's that extra cylinder Clive. Probably not used to anything that isn't in stereo.

trustytrev.:)

• Funny 3

4 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

There is a similar incident in one of the B&R videos but I can't remember which one.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Q

7 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Of course not all steam specials go up the bank QUITE so fast:

Feel sorry for the Brit crew. Signal check at the bottom of Shap is just what you don’t want.

But the sounds were good.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 24/12/2019 at 21:35, LNER4479 said:

Inevitably, there's a post-Peterborough; pre-Glasgow list of things to be getting on with.

High on my list is to 'sort' the 1950s Royal Scot set. 'But what's wrong with it?', I hear you ask ... (anybody?) Well, I'll tell you - none of the designated RTR Duchesses will drag it up the hill! Unfortunately, my blue, sloping smokebox 46224 has turned out to be a bit of a 'dud'. As if to highlight the vagaries of RTR mechanism, my red 46248 makes a much better fist of it ... but that's in 1964 condition so completely out of era.

HOWEVER ... help is at hand.

DSC09281.JPG.24582bfdc04fbb2bc7979ff1552f212a.JPG

Not what you expected? At Peterborough, Barry-O spotted these powered coach chassis on the Replica Railways stand - so I nipped round and picked one up for myself. The BG is the last vehicle in the train heading up the hill so it'll effectively be acting as a banker. Bit of a cheat but 'needs must' (quicker than the more elegant solution of kit building a DJH equivalent). The BG is here already having had irretrievable alterations made to its undersides.

DSC09288.JPG.179bf728a360caf988c3cfd20411e199.JPG

With a bit more filing of the Replica diecast chassis, the Bachmann underframe is made to fit. Side frames purloined from a redundant Lima MkI have been prepared ready for fitment.

DSC09289.JPG.45826b9f8337fab81004b66302f34660.JPG

And there we are. Subterfuge complete. Have to wait till Glasgow to try it out mind.

Meanwhile, deep in the darkest recesses of the chapel, something is stirring...

DSC09298.JPG.db685481eaa2a34cf987d466f3829f9f.JPG

Looks like bit of a big job broke out? With a new decade just around the corner, standby for a landmark posting on 1st Jan. I'll keep you in suspenders until then:secret_mini:

I really should have given you one of mine 

apologies!

Iain

• Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Hi

From what I can make out from the picture. There is a tank engine banking the leading train, which in turn has another class 40 and train attached to it.

All the best 

Stephen

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/12/2019 at 22:35, LNER4479 said:

Meanwhile, deep in the darkest recesses of the chapel, something is stirring...

DSC09298.JPG.db685481eaa2a34cf987d466f3829f9f.JPG

Looks like bit of a big job broke out? With a new decade just around the corner, standby for a landmark posting on 1st Jan. I'll keep you in suspenders until then:secret_mini:

Did the police catch the burglars?

Mike.

• Funny 4

On 24/12/2019 at 21:35, LNER4479 said:

In the darkest recesses of the chapel, something is stirring...

With a new decade just around the corner, standby for a landmark posting on 1st Jan. I'll keep you in suspenders until then:secret_mini:

Only 24 hours to go. You won't want to miss tomorrow's post (especially if you like insane trackplans):scare:

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Only 24 hours to go. You won't want to miss tomorrow's post (especially if you like insane trackplans):scare:

Hi LNER,

Is it from a 1970's Hornby track plan book ???

You will have trouble being more inane than the larger plans in the 5th edition !!!

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2