Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

8 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

This section looks really good now can't wait to see it scenicked up 

The scenic team, are ready to go and looking forward to the challenge when RL is ready and once the current restrictions allow.

Tom

Edited by LMS29
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

58 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

When this monster / magnum opus is complete, how many operators do you envisage it will require to work the whole thing satisfactorily?

(Apologies if you have already said!).

Tony

Good question! I have occasionally done a rough tot up but not really properly written it down before now - so here goes! There will need to be control panels (and thus operating positions) at:

Central station ('rest of the world')

Shap summit

Garsdale

Carlisle Upperby (Carlisle No.12 box)

Dentonholme Goods

Carlisle Station South (Carlisle No.5 box)

Carlisle Station North (Carlisle No.4 box)

Caldew Junctions (Carlisle No.3 box)

Carlisle Canal

Riccarton Junction

Edinburgh

and, possibly

Reedsmouth Junction

(Bog Junction (Carlisle No.10 box) could technically be an operating position but in practice will be controlled remotely by Dentonholme and Central Station)

So, that's - yikes - 12! BUT:

In practice, there's some scope for doubling up (ie one operator; two control panels), as follows:

Shap summit / Carlisle Station North

Carlisle Canal / Edinburgh

Garsdale / Caldew Junctions

So that's 9 - better

As an ABSOLUTE minimum, you could run trains with five people doing multiple panels, without any diving under baseboards to get from one operating well to another.

My intention is that it's all traditional train control so control positions (aka signal boxes) communicate with each - there will be no master computer screen with flashing lights, phone apps, etc. We're in the 1950s and the method of operation will reflect that!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Barry O said:

please make sure it couldbe taken out to link with Chapel en le Frith and Herculaneum Dock in the super exhibition layout plan...

Baz

Was considering that very thing last night during my musings ...

It won't be the easiest of things to lug about (the main trainshed sits atop a piece of 6' x 2' chipboard - I was poor in them days) and one or two track-across-baseboard-joint issues but nothing that can't be accommodated ... for the occasional outing.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 6

Thanks for that,

The 'hair-brained' scheme is to link them up in a Y-shaped formation, recognising that Manchester Central served both the CLC mainline to Liverpool (Central) - as depicted running past Brunswick shed on Herculaneum Dock - and the Midland route into the Peak District - as depicted on Chapel. The Liverpool-Nottingham service ran over both routes, reversing at Central.

That's the theory, at any rate ...

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Thanks for that,

The 'hair-brained' scheme is to link them up in a Y-shaped formation, recognising that Manchester Central served both the CLC mainline to Liverpool (Central) - as depicted running past Brunswick shed on Herculaneum Dock - and the Midland route into the Peak District - as depicted on Chapel. The Liverpool-Nottingham service ran over both routes, reversing at Central.

That's the theory, at any rate ...

Now that would be fun...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Now that would be fun...

...and it's just occurred to me that if we could resurrect Hartford Junction we could plug that in between Central and Herculaneum...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

...and it's just occurred to me that if we could resurrect Hartford Junction we could plug that in between Central and Herculaneum...

It went in the skip years ago due toply delamination probles..but if someone built chinley it could make the layout even more interesting...

Its the flying junctions to get onto/out of the fiddle yards on chapel which are taking some thought....

Baz

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Barry O said:

It went in the skip years ago due toply delamination probles

I thought so - pity though, because we could also have tacked Shap on to the other part of Hartford.

• Agree 1