Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

One thing has been bothering me about Bog junction.   Many years ago I headed to the Students Union to see Steeleye Span, the support act was supposed to be Screaming Lord Sutch . A  replacement band called  Supertramp had come in his place and when they came on stage announced that " Steaming Lord Crutch hasn't turned up as he has disappeared down his own bog seat". I sincerely hope that no such event happens to the operator of the said junction.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

One thing has been bothering me about Bog junction.   Many years ago I headed to the Students Union to see Steeleye Span, the support act was supposed to be Screaming Lord Sutch . A  replacement band called  Supertramp had come in his place and when they came on stage announced that " Steaming Lord Crutch hasn't turned up as he has disappeared down his own bog seat". I sincerely hope that no such event happens to the operator of the said junction.

Jamie

Saw Supertramp at Leeds Uni in about 1976. They were excellent.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

Perhaps he'd had too much breakfast in America?

Steeleye Span - all around my cat. Strange title for a song but a classic nonetheless.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Well, it's not a proper lever frame without interlocking, is it?

There goes automatic operation!

Paul.

P.S. I do admire an interlocked lever frame.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• LNER4479 changed the title to Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

Quick question.

Do you have an overall wiring plan that you are working to ?

If so, how do the cable runs relate to all the carpentry?

I realised two days ago that when, about three years ago, I ran my main (not 'mains') circuits I omitted one of the four.

Now having a 'happy time' underneath the railway, when the whole plan was to avoid such discomfort and mess!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, drmditch said:

Quick question.

Do you have an overall wiring plan that you are working to ?

If so, how do the cable runs relate to all the carpentry?

I realised two days ago that when, about three years ago, I ran my main (not 'mains') circuits I omitted one of the four.

Now having a 'happy time' underneath the railway, when the whole plan was to avoid such discomfort and mess!

It's only two wires!

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

Neither did I.

To be honest, my approach to wiring up would render any application I made to MERG  permanently null and void. I largely make it up as I go along. All I'm doing for now is installing dropper wires under the track as I go so at least I can connect things up reasonably neatly and quite useful for current temporary croc. clip arrangements.

I do have rather a large roll of 25-way cable and suspect that, in the fullness of time there will be several looms of same making their way under the boards between each of the operating positions. I'm hoping that Andrew (of Team Grantham fame) might get involved once we start getting serious with train running and box-to-box communications.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The rails only need two wires whatever system you use!

It's a common misconception that it applies only to DCC, my first Triang train set only had two wires.

Mike.

That's right. All systems, except clockwork, only need (multiples of) two wires.

• Like 2

Just 'found' this topic and reeling with the New Year's announcement I felt compelled to read to the finish. 

A huge undertaking but at this work-rate there's always something new to show, and it's great to see constructive debate about essential compromises and work-arounds.  I thought I was alone in considering underscale viaducts (a dozen of Auhagen's HO arches in my case), and 1 in 75 inclines linking cameos. 

I had never considered crossing two routes on the level but out of sight, perfect for a branch line. 

As an under-ten, David Jenkinson's Little Long Drag obviously left a life-long impression on me - I owe my late mum a debt of eternal gratitude for buying that seminal issue in 1973 when I was in bed with a cold feeling sorry for myself.  This inspirational project is channeling that spirit.  

And no, Clive, I don't want any smutty comments about seminal issue. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Many thanks for that; hope you enjoyed the read.

Sounds like we're kindred spirits then, at least in the sense of being inspired by the work of said Mr Jenkinson. I sometimes wonder whether modelling LMS/LMR subjects has been quite the same since his passing?

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1