Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

On 29/11/2020 at 23:55, LNER4479 said:

DSC00586.JPG.1de9c9464b3ae5392704a3ee98c0e2fd.JPG

Train entirely on the new stretch. The tracks plonked on the right are the station headshunt and two carriage sidings.

Is there a  practical constraint/reason for this reverse curve?  Far be it for me to critique the Master Track Wrangler, but I think it looks a little awkward when a long continuous curve transitioning into the tighter curves at each end would look better.  

1195093370_curveycentral.JPG.038677328cff4140baabf2265944f33e.JPG

I suspect you have a solid engineering led reason why it's there...

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters

On 09/12/2020 at 11:37, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Is there a  practical constraint/reason for this reverse curve?  Far be it for me to critique the Master Track Wrangler, but I think it looks a little awkward when a long continuous curve transitioning into the tighter curves at each end would look better.  

I suspect you have a solid engineering led reason why it's there...

First of apologies as I missed your original posting on Wednesday; just spotted it now.

The reason is because of the double track plain crossing formation at Bog Junction, ie that which the loco is just running on to in the picture. It's a curved formation because of the need to bring the alignment of the goods running lines round towards Dentonholme yard. But, using the standard Peco 12deg crossing angle products, that also and equally drags round the running lines heading towards Central station such that they are then out of alignment with the station throat. So a gentle reverse curve has had to be introduced.

I quite like it now it's in. Obviously somewhat exaggerated in that photo with telephoto effect. I also like it because it provides a divergence between the main running lines out of Central and the separate M&C running lines.

From the Central end, it looks great as it continues the curve out through the station throat on more or less the same radius - to have gone straight or eased the curve at that point would have spoiled the effect.

Finally(!), the descending WCML running lines heading towards Upperby will slice diagonally right across this stretch of track at the higher level which will break up the effect anyway.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Ah, the hours I've spent inside that train shed wishing it were still a station and I could go home, instead of wasting my life in Higher Education

Hi Fritters,

It would seem that you have condemned yourself by way of your own choices, Buckminster Fuller had it correct:

8cf3c89a71ec8c364888aad7ee22cbdf.jpg.b4d70fca2abe94ed6fa5252b1a7688e3.jpg

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hi Tom,

Yes, these are what I refer to as the goods reception sidings, ie where full trains arrive and depart.

DSC10678_crop.jpg.46b11b8086128a2510a5a39a0e1ef8a0.jpg

Incoming trains arrive in either the centre road (where the 'Crab' is) or the right hand road. From there, they're either shunted into the Goods Yard proper (to the left, once reinstated) ... OR ... they'll be forwarded into the fiddle yard proper via the connection you refer to, probably to the centre road. The dead-end road on the left will principally be used for making up the next goods train to depart the yard (either that or a straight transfer across of a 'block' train - with swap of brakevan - if it is straight back out on another working), once the previous train has left from that road. That'll probably be an almost continuous process once the full layout is up and running.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 11

To some extent, I had no choice, given that I am making use of an existing model that was built for a different location. If I were starting with a blank sheet of paper, I wouldn't start from here ...

BUT

1) It's a 'fast track' solution to get the overall scheme up and running before I get too old to enjoy it

2) It is 'only' a glorified fiddle yard. It will be configured so it can be operated properly (subject to reliability of uncoupling arrangements) but most of the time will just be used to store goods wagons. As has already been mused, the layout needs about 9-10 operators dotted around elsewhere before we can afford the luxury of a 10th or 11th operator dedicated to the shunting of Central goods yard.

Prototypicality / finesse of operation will be a province of other locations around the layout, especially at Carlisle itself. I guess that's one of the 'mantras' of the scheme.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/12/2020 at 06:57, LNER4479 said:

That'll probably be an almost continuous process once the full layout is up and running.

Yes, an almost continuous succession of trains leaving the fiddle yard is definitely the right way to do it, as @Barry O and @Michael Edge (among others) can confirm...

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

To some extent, I had no choice, given that I am making use of an existing model that was built for a different location. If I were starting with a blank sheet of paper, I wouldn't start from here ...

BUT

1) It's a 'fast track' solution to get the overall scheme up and running before I get too old to enjoy it

2) It is 'only' a glorified fiddle yard. It will be configured so it can be operated properly (subject to reliability of uncoupling arrangements) but most of the time will just be used to store goods wagons. As has already been mused, the layout needs about 9-10 operators dotted around elsewhere before we can afford the luxury of a 10th or 11th operator dedicated to the shunting of Central goods yard.

Prototypicality / finesse of operation will be a province of other locations around the layout, especially at Carlisle itself. I guess that's one of the 'mantras' of the scheme.

Hi Grahame

I have that many people to serve with tea. Boy I am going to be busy.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Grahame

I have that many people to serve with tea. Boy I am going to be busy.

and I drink a lot of either tea or coffee.. milk no sugars Clive!

Baz

• Like 1