Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Along with the Birmingham 6 and the ITV 7!

Mike.

Better then Fun Boy Three though?

G, that is a really clever ploy with the Sleeper roof. The cross bracing is also a VG idea. I have found that fake bulkheads made from sturdy styrene sheet also work. This is also the way to do it with ordinary passenger coaches as almost all had Bulkheads, bar the totally open ones. even those often had a Bulkhead somewhere IIRC. Was that to supposedly divide the smoking areas? It means making the interior for a day coach a little more carefully width wise, than the 'Comet method'. There are all sorts of cunning ways, not using brass 'Braces'. Even fitting a plassi 'ceiling' or part ceiling(s) like you have in the plassi kit, is  a way of keeping the sides supported cross wise at the top edge if you don't trust the Comet Roof lip. If anyone can see those ceilings when the thing is running, is weird.

P

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Having looked through different books on the subject, I don't envy you. Multiple different designs from different ages. At least with me modeling BR later on, the coaches were more standard.

Nah, that's all part of the fun!

As well as the Stan SLF featured, also in the ex-Comet range are the Stan SLC and pre-Stanier SLF and SLC. Also the D.1709 Third 'convertible' (a rare example of the European 'couchette' principle in the UK) - I wasn't aware of it until Mr Duck kindly pointed it out. It is of course fully described in the Jenkinson LMS coaches tome, now that I have a copy.

The 'challenge' therefore are true Sleeper Thirds of LMS design; I feel some 'cutting and shutting' coming on.

The even bigger challenge is identifying which types went in the various trains as - for obvious reasons - there are very few photos to work from! But then again, who would ever know ... ?

Much fun in store.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, great central said:

Just run the sleepers in the dark, you could even cheat on Shap and run day coaches but tell everyone they're sleepers:rolleyes:

Virtually all formations had day coaches in them anyway - for those too poor / tight to afford the sleeper supplement - where you just 'dossed down' and hoped to have a compartment to yerself. Did many an overnight journey like that myself in the 1980s.

Most formations I've come across so far have as many day coaches as sleeping cars in them; there's only one train in each direction shown as 'Sleeping Cars only'. So I might be putting together a 10-coach train (say) but only three or four of them might need to be actual sleepers.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

A Mark 1 first-class compartment was hard to beat.

In my ‘dossing down’ days, a first class compartment was out of reach (though with hindsight I doubt anyone would have found out or been bothered).  Since first class has been an option, (1) I don’t doss down, (2) Mk1 had gone!

Nice thought though.

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

In my ‘dossing down’ days, a first class compartment was out of reach (though with hindsight I doubt anyone would have found out or been bothered).  Since first class has been an option, (1) I don’t doss down, (2) Mk1 had gone!

Nice thought though.

Paul.

Not sure if it's relevant to you but having sat in an LNER Hitachi first class seat for a few minutes I very much doubt they would be comfortable for a doss. If that's the first class seat I can imagine the standard to be very uncomfortable.

Admittedly it was a single airline style seat but I found it cramped and very hard, I don't think I'll be using them very often, if at all.

• Friendly/supportive 1

48 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Let's hope ... well, it doesn't need me to say what we're all wishing for.

Shouldn't this be in the 2021 new releases frothing thread? ;)

Happy New Year, safe tidings to you and all those on the other side of the werld.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wouldn't it just be typical for that to happen now I've gone and builded one?

Mind you, given that you can pick up brand new Bachmann MkI sleepers for less than £30, I think I'm pretty safe.

For those interested, I've now done my analysis of the overnight sleepers through Carlisle and have selected 15 out of the 25 as a representative sample, covering all route combinations and the more interesting workings operationally (eg the first southbound overnight train had the sleeping cars added at Carlisle; the last northbound one - as photo'd on Beattock by Messers Treacy and Anderson - had a restaurant portion (for breakfast - yum!) - added at Carlisle).

As a result, the non-RTR sleeping car 'shopping list' is 10 vehicles, thus:

3 x Stanier SLF (one already built!)

1 x Stanier SLC

2 x LMS SLF (Period I)

1 x LMS SLC (Period I)

3 x SLT. The tricky one. The D.1709 'convertible' type is available but I'd like at least one of the Stanier variety.

To which we add six Bachmann MkIs - 3 SLF and 3 SLSTP.

These 16 vehicles can be marshalled and re-marshalled throughout the night to form up the sleeper accommodation on the various trains, some being used up to four different times. Once during the night, eight come together to form the 'sleeper only' London-Glasgow working.

Oh - nearly forgot - some ex-LNER vehicles will be required for the St.Pancras-Waverley job, alternating with LMR stock!

That should keep me busy for a few years ... (whilst acknowledging Mr Duck's kind horse-trading offer)

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Wouldn't it just be typical for that to happen now I've gone and builded one?

Mind you, given that you can pick up brand new Bachmann MkI sleepers for less than £30, I think I'm pretty safe.

For those interested, I've now done my analysis of the overnight sleepers through Carlisle and have selected 15 out of the 25 as a representative sample, covering all route combinations and the more interesting workings operationally (eg the first southbound overnight train had the sleeping cars added at Carlisle; the last northbound one - as photo'd on Beattock by Messers Treacy and Anderson - had a restaurant portion (for breakfast - yum!) - added at Carlisle).

As a result, the non-RTR sleeping car 'shopping list' is 10 vehicles, thus:

3 x Stanier SLF (one already built!)

1 x Stanier SLC

2 x LMS SLF (Period I)

1 x LMS SLC (Period I)

3 x SLT. The tricky one. The D.1709 'convertible' type is available but I'd like at least one of the Stanier variety.

To which we add six Bachmann MkIs - 3 SLF and 3 SLSTP.

These 16 vehicles can be marshalled and re-marshalled throughout the night to form up the sleeper accommodation on the various trains, some being used up to four different times. Once during the night, eight come together to form the 'sleeper only' London-Glasgow working.

Oh - nearly forgot - some ex-LNER vehicles will be required for the St.Pancras-Waverley job, alternating with LMR stock!

That should keep me busy for a few years ... (whilst acknowledging Mr Duck's kind horse-trading offer)

Have you worked out where that lot will get parked during daylight hours?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

First of all happy new year to Red Leader and all you hiller northerners.

Following Graham's build in a day I decide to challenge myself to build a coach in a day. Not a kit but a mix between scratch build and what I have to hand. I am making a Doncaster 1956 prototype SK. The Doncaster coaches did not have the characteristic continuous curve of other Mk1s, the profile was more Thompson like. 

I stated at 11.30 with a Triang Chassis, a sleeper roof (both spare), a drawing and a sheet of plastic card.

001.jpg.7194bc007c63231c11373e88afff9ab2.jpg

I have stopped for lunch after cutting out the windows on the sides.

003.jpg.786f371563ce0bd691cf10de957b2e55.jpg

I have rounded a few corners so people can see what I am trying to achieve.

For updates please see Sheffield Exchange.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

37 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

Have you worked out where that lot will get parked during daylight hours?

Round the back or in cassettes more likely.

Some of the stock from the more 'general' day sets will get used to make up the rest of each formation. The typical routine will be: arrive in Central station; dispose of loco; work stock round the 180deg curve into the true fiddle yard area; re-marshall; work back round into departure platform; depart on next working.

To some extent, that routine will go on all day - to add 16* sleeper cars will take just four, four-vehicle cassettes and they'll probably be replaced by some day stock that isn't required for the night services. *two will live at Carlisle during the day and they'll be three during the day in the Edinburgh Fiddle Yard

To be honest, I'll just work it out and 'hone' it cometh the day. I don't tend to worry myself with the minutiae at this stage - I'm happy that there is an overall strategy to make it work. Fiddle yards can be very adaptable! (that on Grantham has been re-worked at least a couple of times)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Round the back or in cassettes more likely.

Some of the stock from the more 'general' day sets will get used to make up the rest of each formation. The typical routine will be: arrive in Central station; dispose of loco; work stock round the 180deg curve into the true fiddle yard area; re-marshall; work back round into departure platform; depart on next working.

To some extent, that routine will go on all day - to add 16* sleeper cars will take just four, four-vehicle cassettes and they'll probably be replaced by some day stock that isn't required for the night services. *two will live at Carlisle during the day and they'll be three during the day in the Edinburgh Fiddle Yard

To be honest, I'll just work it out and 'hone' it cometh the day. I don't tend to worry myself with the minutiae at this stage - I'm happy that there is an overall strategy to make it work. Fiddle yards can be very adaptable! (that on Grantham has been re-worked at least a couple of times)

My reason for asking is that I have just spent the last 2 days re-working my operating schedule - and my brain hurts!

A key difference between our approaches is that mine assumes that no formations get changed in the cycle, so everything gets parked in the form required for the service, but with 85 stored trains (only 6 of which will be in cassettes) this is still logistically complex!

The other key differences are that yours is a prototypical location and mine is not, whilst my layout has to be capable of one man operation whereas yours requires 'several'.

I look forward to seeing how things develop!

Happy New Year!
Tony

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

As far as I have got today, might do a bit more before bed.

005.jpg.37ce8b45b08f5867daf29659632ad258.jpg

Being white plastic card the turn under doesn't show that well but the slab side of the upper half does look quite different to a normal Mk1.

009.jpg.aa8f5bf05a4fbce4f14ca73a827fc8e0.jpg

Here it is with the Cravens SO 1956 Prototype

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

This is really becoming like one of those American model railroads you see in model railroader which have a whole system which snakes around the room. Seeing those and following a train around can be really satisfying. 
this looks to have all these qualities.

richard 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good work Red Leader!  Hopefully by the time we can visit it will be all finished (!) :jester:

But great to see the major progress you have made.. it must be less than warm in the railway room though.. just cold enough for me to do ballasting!

Baz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1