Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

48 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Sad news chaps if you knew Peter Smith, Bigwordsmith:

Hi everyone, this is Peter's daughter Gemma. I just wanted to inform everyone that Peter caught covid over Christmas, and after a short battle passed away on the 6th Jan.

He was so keen on the Waverley route.

RIP Smiffy.

Phil

Sad news indeed. Thanks for letting us know.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Sad news chaps if you knew Peter Smith, Bigwordsmith:

Hi everyone, this is Peter's daughter Gemma. I just wanted to inform everyone that Peter caught covid over Christmas, and after a short battle passed away on the 6th Jan.

He was so keen on the Waverley route.

RIP Smiffy.

Phil

Such a sad loss, he was such a tremendous modeler.

Richard 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Very nice!  I have some of those motors bought direct from China. I would imagine they were cheaper to me than buying from DJH. Mind you trying to find some more of them now is proving a bit more difficult. 

Baz

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Morning Graham,

I assume you have this:

74F3D1E9-6B88-4F69-81AE-CE3078D036F6.jpeg.5c54cc49f014d2af79f43a4ff288e4b0.jpeg

Especially since I think the cover of the BRM dvd has a representation of the Maiden Lane very similar to that hauled by 46256 in the book.  

But if you haven’t got it, it’s yours.

Iain 

• Like 4

Like this, you mean?

LMSOS.jpg.0f0fcdef29118badcbb696b3f01e6027.jpg

A little more dog-eared than yours! I categorise this as my first 'proper' railway book. It was a Christmas present in 1974 - I was ten years old at the time, so you can see you long the Shap candle has been burning.

Yes, the Maiden Lane train is no coincidence; it was purposely assembled based on the photo in the book of '56 at Tebay. All Paul's work, I have to say. As soon as he saw the photo he declared that he already had most of the vehicles. A couple of kit builds later and Robert's your father's brother.

Is that the March 2020 BRM DVD you're referring to? If not, I'd be interested to know which one!

• Like 7

Yes I thought you would have it!  I probably ought even to have guessed just how well-thumbed it would be.  A bit like one or two Camden articles and books I have.  I just picked this up on eBay, adding to a few more of the old Bradford Barton series that I have.  

I think it was the March 2020 BRM dvd, yes. 

Iain

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Whilst we're on the subject of the Maiden Lane, here's Andy (York)'s other picture of it (as originally posted on here, post-Peterborough), which I actually prefer. It certainly shows the formation of the train well.

Shap_BW.jpg.b586b2580ed47f179c0292bd45284b61.jpg

What is the prototypical operational reasoning of hanging milk wagons on the rear of train behind the brake van?, I'm sure I've read about it somewhere.

Mike.

17 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Following a recent complaint...

20210305_163241.jpg.c002d4b32642d763ef51aefb7efee517.jpg

'Hurry up Fred - get that thing hung up there before Mr End of Dock gives us any more grief'

'Well it'd get done a darn sight quicker Bert if you lent us a 'and. Bloomin' 'heavy this thing, y'know!'

Hi There,

Those blokes must be contractors foreign to Carlisle for not once have either of them said, "Eh, marra !"

Gibbo.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

What is the prototypical operational reasoning of hanging milk wagons on the rear of train behind the brake van?, I'm sure I've read about it somewhere.

Mike.

Well I'm absolutely convinced that we've already had this conversation on here somewhere ... but I'm blowed if I can find it!

Attaching odd milk wagons to the rear of trains seems to have had a long history on the Lancaster & Carlisle - there's some lovely Treacy 1930s pictures of them tagged onto the back of express passenger trains. However, as to 'why', I really don't know for certain. There was a dedicated WCML milk train so whether these additional vehicles 'missed' the main train ... dunno?

Of course, there's also the other, completely unrelated, operational reason - and that's to give the guard a more comfortable ride (ie to stop the guard's van bucking around too much on the rear of the train).

Happy for others to wade in if they know the real story.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Well I'm absolutely convinced that we've already had this conversation on here somewhere ... but I'm blowed if I can find it!

There was a similar one on Tony's thread about hanging fish vans on the rear of a train, behind the brake, I think.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Attaching odd milk wagons to the rear of trains seems to have had a long history on the Lancaster & Carlisle - there's some lovely Treacy 1930s pictures of them tagged onto the back of express passenger trains. However, as to 'why', I really don't know for certain. There was a dedicated WCML milk train so whether these additional vehicles 'missed' the main train ... dunno?

Of course, there's also the other, completely unrelated, operational reason - and that's to give the guard a more comfortable ride (ie to stop the guard's van bucking around too much on the rear of the train).

Happy for others to wade in if they know the real story.

Perhaps they were so that the customers got ready-churned butter?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On 05/03/2021 at 16:41, LNER4479 said:

Following a recent complaint...

20210305_163241.jpg.c002d4b32642d763ef51aefb7efee517.jpg

'Hurry up Fred - get that thing hung up there before Mr End of Dock gives us any more grief'

'Well it'd get done a darn sight quicker Bert if you lent us a 'and. Bloomin' 'heavy this thing, y'know!'

Those Roof Finials are 7mm ; you have been conned.:D

• Funny 19

A few more snaps from recent running ...

DSC00900.JPG.fc5e58db783bcf68e6f90389beb09e5a.JPG

At Central, the WCML stopping train, which has been waiting patiently for what seems like an eternity, finally gets the road and eases away from Platform 5. A relative piece of exotica is parked in the nearest loco siding (so exotic in fact, that his driver appears to have fallen over in disbelief - oops!)

DSC00901.JPG.92fd33bc3cba8e8400f94f685aa4353a.JPG

Freeing up Platform 5 allows the station pilot to shunt the stock of the S&C arrival across.

DSC00903.JPG.bfaf5bc002e5fd4f75e400db913f4506.JPG

As he does so, a yet-to-be-bling'd, layout loco rebuilt Patriot, limbers up ready for the next departure. Old loco but good runner.

DSC00914.JPG.db5a3d548c740b58b48ba61d29c7e1d5.JPG

Meanwhile, with a clear road, the 2-6-4T is already scampering up Shap. Bit anomalous, being early crest with all maroon stock (and a Ford Anglia parked in the field); normally, this runs with a early BR Eastern Region set, 'borrowed' for the afternoon Carlisle-Oxenholme service. The leading Thompson BSK is at least a sop to that.

In other news ... keep tuned for some exciting news re next weekend:clapping:

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 19

I was part of the discussion on Wright Writes.  My Father, who was a Station Master on the Grimsby to Boston line that carried many express fish trains, told me that it was to give the Guard a better ride, especially so that he could do his paper work.  I can believe this because those express fish trains used to really rattle through at speeds I would guess would have been in the 60+ mph.   My memory thinks the Guards van could be as far as 5 wagons in.   There were a number of comments suggesting that no way would the Railways consider the comfort of the Guard.  Bearing in mind the labour shortage just after the war I don't agree with that perspective but everyone to their own opion, informed or not.   There were others who said the guards Van had to be at the end until a number of photos were produced.  There were others who said the BR rules did allow for the Guards Van to be 2 wagons in.   Take your pick.

Edited by Theakerr
Edited to ciorrect several typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Knowing nothing about the Maiden Lane, I would suggest that if the milk tanks were on the back from the start of the journey, then they are there to give the guard a smoother ride. If they were picked up en route they are there because, on a fully fitted train, there is no need to shunt the guards van off to attach them because fitted vehicles certainly were permitted behind the guards van, although the number of vehicles/axles varied a bit over the years. Or both. 

As for people telling you "the railways would never consider...", in the case of making up a goods train "the railway" at this level consists largely of the guard, loco crew and maybe a shunter.  Making up the train in such a way as to avoid the guard ending up black and blue before Lancaster is well within the bounds of possibilities. 

I was once partly complicit in running a Class 47 round a triangle because the hot plate wasn't working in one cab. "The railway" probably didn't consider that necessary either but we did it. 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

I was once partly complicit in running a Class 47 round a triangle because the hot plate wasn't working in one cab. "The railway" probably didn't consider that necessary either but we did it.

Never came across that but it was, and probably still is, common to turn a loco or a whole train because the windscreen wiper and/or washers at one end weren't working. Also applied to head, marker and tail lights.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1