Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

... for which reason, the Grantham minimum structure height above rail is 58mm. If someone has built their loco at a scale height greater than 14' 6" then they deserve all the missing whistles they lose. :rtfm:

Just to be sure, I'm using a 60mm height gauge in all this current work on Hills of the North.

60mm corresponds to the old MOT Blue Book.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Ooh - 9mm sounds like a bit of overkill. The Shap ones and Grantham ones are 6mm which have been fine AND allow for a certain about of curving (not sure how important that is to you?)

14 hours ago, Chamby said:

@St Enodoc   I am at a similar stage, re:backscene.  I have settled on 400mm high, and have bought in some 4mm ply which flexes quite nicely for curving the backscene round corners.  But then I don’t need exhibition-worthy robustness as it is a stay-at-home layout.

Thanks Graham and Phil.

The stretches that are fixed to the wall can probably be as thin as 4mm but there will be two 4m lengths that can only be fixed at the bottom so I'm sure they will have to be thicker. I'm not sure that 6mm would stay straight along the top of these lengths, which will be between 400mm and 450mm above baseboard level, especially if people lean on them (accidentally or otherwise).

The long lengths will be straight and at the corners I plan to use sections of plastic drainpipe, cut to 90 degrees and blended in, as has been done successfully by a friend down here.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

The stretches that are fixed to the wall can probably be as thin as 4mm but there will be two 4m lengths that can only be fixed at the bottom so I'm sure they will have to be thicker. I'm not sure that 6mm would stay straight along the top of these lengths, which will be between 400mm and 450mm above baseboard level, especially if people lean on them (accidentally or otherwise).

Could you put a strengthening batten at the top of 4mm to hold it in line?  Or is it easier just to go ‘large’?

Paul.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Could you put a strengthening batten at the top of 4mm to hold it in line?  Or is it easier just to go ‘large’?

Paul.

That would spoil the look of the thing, Paul.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, robmcg said:

In the style of Eric Treacy's famous Shap photos, Hornby 6220 'Coronation' looks good as it attacks the bank with a down 'Coronation Scot', 1937.

And, to my eyes, in the style of a George Heiron painting too. Nice work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

George Heiron was my hero back in the 60s when I read 'Model Railway News' with his work on the cover, back around 1963 when I would lie on the floor after school reading Kitmaster or Airfix ads. 

It occurs to me also that LNER4479 chose well in using an older tooling version of 6220... the top front steps are poor on the newer models, and the lined wheels less attractive to my eye.

Question is, will I buy all nine new Stanier blue carriages...?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, robmcg said:

George Heiron was my hero back in the 60s when I read 'Model Railway News' with his work on the cover, back around 1963 when I would lie on the floor after school reading Kitmaster or Airfix ads. 

It occurs to me also that LNER4479 chose well in using an older tooling version of 6220... the top front steps are poor on the newer models, and the lined wheels less attractive to my eye.

Question is, will I buy all nine new Stanier blue carriages...?

My Dear Friend Mike/Coachbogie has a complete Coronation train.
He's GWR through and through, so that's high praise.
As an LMS guy, I think the Hornby LMS coaches are superb.
Regards,
Chris.

16 hours ago, robmcg said:

In the style of Eric Treacy's famous Shap photos, Hornby 6220 'Coronation' looks good as it attacks the bank with a down 'Coronation Scot', 1937.

12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I hadn't thought of the George Heiron angle but now you mention it ... I think Rob is (somehow?) painting with electronic colours although I've no idea how he does it.

We have of course been careful to use as much of the model photo original as possible, including the fencing and the telegraph pole (which, technically speaking, shouldn't have the outer red 'pots' as that's the DC supply for the colour light signals on Shap which weren't fitted until 1943). The fence on the right hand side was modelled using the Treacy pictures as a reference so it's quite nice for it to be included in the picture.

Meanwhile, back to some more electrical installation which I hope to report on in the next few days ... it's more interesting than it sounds (honestly!)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thank goodness! No flippinbells....

Loks a neat solution though.

Baz

Ps may need to borrow this idea for the fiddle yard operation on Leeds (London Rd) if you don't mind?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Ah, but the bells are yet to be added! For now, I've just got a couple of small buzzers to prove (or not!) the system.

(Otherwise, how do the two operators actually talk to each other!?)

By thought transferance???

Telephone?

anything but flipping bells!

Baz

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

Watchya got against bells? Some previous bad experience? Quasimodo, the bell-ringer of Notre Dame? Do tell!

You'll need to come and sit at either Bog Junc or Garsdale operating position to fully appreciate the connundrum. And then multiply that by all the other operating positions there'll be in time!

But all suggestions gratefully received at this stage...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

You'll need to come and sit at either Bog Junc or Garsdale operating position to fully appreciate the connundrum. And then multiply that by all the other operating positions there'll be in time!

..... and there was me thinking Garsdale was a quiet country station!!!!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Barry O said:

Thank goodness! No flippinbells....

Loks a neat solution though.

Baz

Ps may need to borrow this idea for the fiddle yard operation on Leeds (London Rd) if you don't mind?

14 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Ah, but the bells are yet to be added! For now, I've just got a couple of small buzzers to prove (or not!) the system.

(Otherwise, how do the two operators actually talk to each other!?)

2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Watchya got against bells? Some previous bad experience? Quasimodo, the bell-ringer of Notre Dame? Do tell!

But all suggestions gratefully received at this stage...

I find that bells drive me nuts, especially when I can hear them at both ends of a section. I'm doing something very similar to you but without bells. It does rely on following the timetable. We've tried it once and it needs a bit of refining but so far it's working fairly well.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I refer you to Heckmondwyke.. you could hear the bells.. but the trains never turned up! The Gibbon Brothers had bells on Ynysybwl Fach.. a big colliery layout in O gauge.... it was replaced by telephones at the request of the operators...something to do with the speed (either too fast or too slow) of the bell signals. Mike Cook used the phones system as well .

Baz

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I refer you to Heckmondwyke.. you could hear the bells.. but the trains never turned up! The Gibbon Brothers had bells on Ynysybwl Fach.. a big colliery layout in O gauge.... it was replaced by telephones at the request of the operators...something to do with the speed (either too fast or too slow) of the bell signals. Mike Cook used the phones system as well .

Baz

At show I was exhibiting at there was a chap with a 3mm branch terminus where the fiddle yard acted as the next signal box along. So all day we had Ding Ding Ding between the two signal boxes. He was operating the layout by himself.

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Looks good. I rather like bells, I intend having something similar on Bath. The first time Kim and I went up to operate Buckingham the bells had yet to be re-installed and we had to do the "ding ding" ourselves!

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Funny 2