Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Barry O said:

this would cover most things including tea breaks, loo stops and bacon butty stops plus any illicit cake chomping moments..

Are there licit cake chomping moments ?

Adrian

We use blocking back on Southwark Bridge.  If anyone has seen our videos, you will realise it is a big train set with about 30 feet between the fiddle yard and 'A' box so bells are a necessity.  We sort of have one and a half section, because 'A' box arrivals has to 'plunge' the Crows Nest Bow who controls the platform inbound signals.

We use the LSWR bells codes, which don't have a call attention.  We go straight into "Warning for".  On the real railway, the codes were officially changed in Southern Railway days so there was a "call attention".  We were told this wasn't adopted on the approaches to Waterloo, when box 'B' sent "Train out of section", box 'A' didn't acknowledge but simply sent the "Warning for" the next train.   Remember these were mechanical boxes with trains on a 150 second headway.  Bill

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

Amazing, incredible earthmoving and constructional machination going on,   3mm ply being the magic touch.

It fused my brain trying to work out the subtleties so I will be content to observe the creation of these great examples of the steam age.

In the meantime I tidied the recent pic of 6220 and the Coronation Scot on Shap, well a generic approximation of that great train with your engine and carriages Graham, this time without the extra  colour light signal feed insulators on the scenic telephone pole...

6220_coronation_shap2_5abc_r2080.jpg.d59c3df263691ab580c4457020052e23.jpg

Having photographed several of the blue engines both the 2004 model and 2018 one, I think the body of the early version is nicer in some ways, thicker handrail notwithstanding.

But of course they were at their very best in the war...  Hornby's black versions are among my favourite models.

6247_Coronation_Duchess_potrait5_4abcd_r1800.jpg.ac80ee8a556f9ee9b86961160ab2e764.jpg

6248_Coronation_Duchess_Image12_3abc_r2080.jpg.d672deca46c45255a7729525e5a1a96a.jpg

Not that these last two have anything to do with Hills of the North....   it's just that I have reputation for thread drift which I have to uphold.

It has nothing to do with bells, morse code, or telepathic transference either. Single line tablet exchange I can understand.

Edited by robmcg
foolishness
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I had the same clearance problem with the bridges over the goods lines at the south end of our Carlisle, baseboards already built with 12mm ply across the gaps. I had to make the bridge decks out of .025" steel plate to get enough clearance under them, you can now clearly hear the difference when a train runs over them which doesn't sound unrealistic.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

Thanks Mike. I have that up my sleeve as a last resort as I'd prefer as much clearance as possible (just in case a DJH GNR Atlantic turns up - although I can't imagine who'd bring one of those along?)

As I habitually use 3mm cork as the bed for laying track, I could easily graft in a 3mm ply 'bridge' for the first 6 inches, which would be triangular shaped anyway - it's only a goods yard siding on the board above.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Thanks Mike. I have that up my sleeve as a last resort as I'd prefer as much clearance as possible (just in case a DJH GNR Atlantic turns up - although I can't imagine who'd bring one of those along?)

How about a micro switch set at an appropriate height above the approach track... microswitch trips out a relay... the relay isolates a section of track ahead of the height restriction, bringing the offending stock to a halt.  

Woopi-doo.

• RMweb Premium

Out of gauge locos aren't allowed on our Carlisle - but more particularly in terms of width after we built the platforms at scale clearance from the tracks. At that point I realised just how few locos are actually built to scale widths, we had checked the platform clearances with the two locos which have the greatest throwover on curves - a Princess and a Fowler 2-6-4T - forgetting that I had built both of them.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Someone modelling the Edwardian LNWR?

and who might that be.. not me.. I am more concerned by the propeller on the Battle Space Turbo car being too large....:jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Out of gauge locos aren't allowed on our Carlisle - but more particularly in terms of width after we built the platforms at scale clearance from the tracks. At that point I realised just how few locos are actually built to scale widths, we had checked the platform clearances with the two locos which have the greatest throwover on curves - a Princess and a Fowler 2-6-4T - forgetting that I had built both of them.

I had similar problems a few times and couldn't work out where I was going wrong for ages. Then the penny dropped. I was measuring from the rail to the platform and allowing prototype dimensions. When your rails are too close together and tucked under a loco, you get extra overhang on footplates and cylinders etc.

It was one of those "Doh" moments when I worked it out. It should have been obvious that the extra sideplay in models plus the narrow gauge would require a bigger than scale gap from the rail to the platform but I really missed a trick more than once.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I had similar problems a few times and couldn't work out where I was going wrong for ages. Then the penny dropped. I was measuring from the rail to the platform and allowing prototype dimensions. When your rails are too close together and tucked under a loco, you get extra overhang on footplates and cylinders etc.

It was one of those "Doh" moments when I worked it out. It should have been obvious that the extra sideplay in models plus the narrow gauge would require a bigger than scale gap from the rail to the platform but I really missed a trick more than once.

Moral - always measure from track centres! Or move to P4...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, t-b-g said:

It wasn't anything to do with the track gauge (it's EM anyway) - just that modellers normally leave a huge gap between the trains and the platforms, Carlisle has hardly any. Almost all the DJH built 4-6-2s fouled the platform with the trailing axleboxes and steps, many others just with the steps.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

It wasn't anything to do with the track gauge (it's EM anyway) - just that modellers normally leave a huge gap between the trains and the platforms, Carlisle has hardly any. Almost all the DJH built 4-6-2s fouled the platform with the trailing axleboxes and steps, many others just with the steps.

I knew that but I was just sympathising that you are not the first to have clearance problems with platforms, even if it was for different reasons.

There is so much sideplay in most models compared to the real thing that a bit of "spare" clearance at platforms is pretty much essential anyway.

Even in P4, I bet models have more sideplay that the real thing just because you cannot scale clearances and they often need to go round tighter than scale curves.

Nowadays I don't measure from the track any more. I get my longest carriage or loco and hold a pencil to the biggest overhang to draw out a platform edge. Either the end or the middle of the vehicle depending on which way a curve goes. That marks out the maximum plus half a pencil thickness spare. An old trick but a good one.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Moral - always measure from track centres! Or move to P4...

For the avoidance of doubt, my "agree" was with the first part only of your comment.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I knew that but I was just sympathising that you are not the first to have clearance problems with platforms, even if it was for different reasons.

There is so much sideplay in most models compared to the real thing that a bit of "spare" clearance at platforms is pretty much essential anyway.

Even in P4, I bet models have more sideplay that the real thing just because you cannot scale clearances and they often need to go round tighter than scale curves.

Nowadays I don't measure from the track any more. I get my longest carriage or loco and hold a pencil to the biggest overhang to draw out a platform edge. Either the end or the middle of the vehicle depending on which way a curve goes. That marks out the maximum plus half a pencil thickness spare. An old trick but a good one.

Me too but I start from the premise that on straight track the platform edge is 20mm from the track centre line.

Beware of excess overhang at loco front (or rear, if it's a 2-6-4T) ends, though. Don't ask how I know this.

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Northroader said:

A Cornish line (the “Saints”) really needs a “Bulldog” with outside cranks to try out the platform clearances.

When I built Hanging Hill's loco shed I made the high level platforms found in ER diesel sheds. They are higher than passenger platforms and very close to the locos. Thankfully they were straight. A Heljan Tubby Duff would tend to push its way in and out. The only locos which would get stuck were both Hornby and Bachmann 350hp shunters. The oil boxes on the top of the cranks would catch on the underside of the platforms.

1976852124_ERshedinsidesmall.gif.7c8445628e567818fec3dcdaaee93fc5.gif

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Northroader said:

A Cornish line (the “Saints”) really needs a “Bulldog” with outside cranks to try out the platform clearances.

Too early for me but I do have City of Truro (it ran to Penzance at least once during the 1950s).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you put the coupling rods where they should be on GW 4-4-0s they'll be no problem, the vast majority of outside crank locos, rtr and kit built, are far too wide. We tried an rtr 08 with just the wheels re-gauged - it nearly demolished the platforms. I rebuilt it as narrow as I could, it just misses now but it's still way over gauge down there.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

If you put the coupling rods where they should be on GW 4-4-0s they'll be no problem, the vast majority of outside crank locos, rtr and kit built, are far too wide. We tried an rtr 08 with just the wheels re-gauged - it nearly demolished the platforms. I rebuilt it as narrow as I could, it just misses now but it's still way over gauge down there.

Thanks for that tip Mike. I've also got a Hornby EE 350hp shunter so I'll check that too.