Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

Re platform clearances, here is my hi-tec calibrated device:

20210512_174718.jpg.39fed8c54f0ce673983faa99f0a4127b_rot.jpg.86e025c56b101a0517bed0a3ee5af8f6.jpg

Note that (apart from the fact that my mob phone flatly refused to post the picture in the correct orientation DESPITE me rotating it and it appearing in the correct orientation in my gallery ... corrected now that I'm on my laptop - but what a faff) is that, as well as the platform edge dimension (19mm), I've also marked a platform wall dimension (23mm). I know that sometimes there were flat edges but most of the time there was an overhang. The point being, if you misjudged the platform edge, then it can be trimmed back quite easily; harder to move the whole platform wall. 

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

20210512_174718.jpg.39fed8c54f0ce673983faa99f0a4127b_rot.jpg.86e025c56b101a0517bed0a3ee5af8f6.jpg

Note that (apart from the fact that my mob phone flatly refused to post the picture in the correct orientation DESPITE me rotating it and it appearing in the correct orientation in my gallery ... corrected now that I'm on my laptop - but what a faff) is that, as well as the platform edge dimension (19mm), I've also marked a platform wall dimension (23mm). I know that sometimes there were flat edges but most of the time there was an overhang. The point being, if you misjudged the platform edge, then it can be trimmed back quite easily; harder to move the whole platform wall. 

We must build our platforms in a similar way. My platform walls are also set back 4mm from the edge (20+4=24 in my case though).

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I used to use something like that and it did the job ever so well until I built a layout with the platforms that extended from being straight onto a curve. I always regretted using my fixed clearance gauge on that as to clear the overhang on the inside or outside of the curved section, the platforms needed to be set further back from the position they needed to be on the straight. If you don't trains with lower footsteps or locos with a big overhang cause problems.

So your choices are to either put the whole platform well back from the edge (leaving a huge gap on the straight bits) or to have the platform so it is not parallel to the track.

Neither is ideal and I won't be having a platform like that again, although I have got a really gentle curve on the latest layout.

The pencil held to the side of the carriage trick does give you an element of variable clearance widening on curves but on straight platforms, something along the lines of your simple but elegant gauge works really well.

Edited by t-b-g
Add photo and comment
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I used to use something like that and it did the job ever so well until I built a layout with the platforms that extended from being straight onto a curve. I always regretted using my fixed clearance gauge on that as to clear the overhang on the inside or outside of the curved section, the platforms needed to be set further back from the position they needed to be on the straight. If you don't trains with lower footsteps or locos with a big overhang cause problems.

So your choices are to either put the whole platform well back from the edge (leaving a huge gap on the straight bits) or to have the platform so it is not parallel to the track.

Neither is ideal and I won't be having a platform like that again, although I have got a really gentle curve on the latest layout.

The pencil held to the side of the carriage trick does give you an element of variable clearance widening on curves but on straight platforms, something along the lines of your simple but elegant gauge works really well.

I do both, Tony. You can calibrate the pencil on the straight bit (by packing it out or shaving a bit off). It then works for the whole length, straight and curved.

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

Just to say - absolutely! I have used the old pencil-on-the-side-of-a-vehicle trick many times in the past and not just for platforms but also for other structure clearance matters such as bridges and tunnels. I guess I'm now in the relatively privileged position of being able to build stations that are straight(!) - the days of 2 foot radius platforms are long gone (unless I'm building for someone else)

I'm with Mike in trying to prevent the platform gap from being too excessive. Also - whilst on the subject - many models of the pre-'68 era have the platform tops set far too high (which in itself doesn't help with clearances). Study of pictures shows the step down to be quite considerable in some cases and hence why all older stock had steps underneath the doors.

(Picture below shows one of Grantham's platforms under construction to illustrate the point)

IMG_5094.JPG

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Some diesels with over wide bogie sideframes didn't like that either!

Mike.

I remember that well.

Even scale width items struggled.

I often wondered whether any "punters" watching at a show ever realised that we had a succession of passenger trains running from Doncaster to Worksop but none coming back the other way.

The front overhang on the GCR and GNR 4-4-2T locos used on the passenger trains was just too much for the outer platform and although they didn't catch due to the low platform, the sight of the front buffer sailing over the coping stone of the platform edge was not one I wanted anybody else to see. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Standby folks ... the cavalry's arrived!

DSC01254.JPG.b0bd7d2caf92c1585bc02cf0bd4cee90.JPG

Visited father for the first time in nine months and, somewhat unexpectedly, returned home with these two. Nowadays superseded by more modern offerings, Dad doesn't really do sentiment but has hung on to these two machines from an earlier era and they are now on indefinite loan to 'Hills of the North'. They're both original Hornby Dublo items. The green one (46227) I repainted some 25 odd years ago but the real star is the red 'un ...

DSC01255.JPG.5094bb361cab9a500b09c9c03c0f8748.JPG

This is Dad's original Duchess purchase from when HD two-rail was first available (1959) so is over 60 years old.

DSC01258.JPG.f684ebeb0512eaa53e54c94775757116.JPG

She was repainted by a professional model maker friend in the early 1970s - but erroneously numbered / named as 46227 'Duchess of Devonshire'! (a Polmadie loco that was never painted red in BR days). Nevertheless, that's very much as I remember her as a layout regular, almost always in charge of the 'Royal Scot', during our interminable operating sessions together.

Eventually, he took matters in hand, and she not only got renumbered as one of Crewe North's regulars but also - can you spot it? - was re-wheeled and now sports 24mm Romford drivers and slightly finer bogie and tender wheels. Still a bit under scale, but a bit of an improvement.

But most importantly ...

DSC01264.JPG.b2895aa536788586c8f15a59844749f8.JPG

After over 60 years of service, she's still as strong as an ox and game for yet more adventures! Here she is on test last night, walking away from a signal check at Shap Wells IB signal, 11 bogies in tow - no problem. The mechanism is the original HD motor from 60+ years ago - quite remarkable.

So, not only will she feature in the roster for sentimental reasons but will have a real role to play, tackling the heavier trains (sleepers especially) to help out her more modern but spineless sisters!

(meanwhile, the green 46227 will receive some attention, probably including a similar re-wheeling as she's still got her original HD wheels which aren't the best on Code 75!)

There, my good buddy, is one of the main reasons for running trains on a 'Train Set' like your'n.

Love it, as good a back story as on The Repair Shop which, I am embarrassed to say, I absolutely adore for the skill, enthusiasm and versatility for the Staff and overall sentiment.

Lovely story  Graham and I bet your Pa was over the bloody moon to see these pictures.

P

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I bet your Pa was over the bloody moon to see these pictures.

He will be when I send them to him. He doesn't do internet so it'll be a case of printing off and popping in the post.

I did give him a ring however to tell him of the performance trial which he appreciated!

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
On 20/05/2021 at 23:40, LNER4479 said:

Standby folks ... the cavalry's arrived!

DSC01254.JPG.b0bd7d2caf92c1585bc02cf0bd4cee90.JPG

Visited father for the first time in nine months and, somewhat unexpectedly, returned home with these two. Nowadays superseded by more modern offerings, Dad doesn't really do sentiment but has hung on to these two machines from an earlier era and they are now on indefinite loan to 'Hills of the North'. They're both original Hornby Dublo items. The green one (46227) I repainted some 25 odd years ago but the real star is the red 'un ...

DSC01255.JPG.5094bb361cab9a500b09c9c03c0f8748.JPG

This is Dad's original Duchess purchase from when HD two-rail was first available (1959) so is over 60 years old.

DSC01258.JPG.f684ebeb0512eaa53e54c94775757116.JPG

She was repainted by a professional model maker friend in the early 1970s - but erroneously numbered / named as 46227 'Duchess of Devonshire'! (a Polmadie loco that was never painted red in BR days). Nevertheless, that's very much as I remember her as a layout regular, almost always in charge of the 'Royal Scot', during our interminable operating sessions together.

Eventually, he took matters in hand, and she not only got renumbered as one of Crewe North's regulars but also - can you spot it? - was re-wheeled and now sports 24mm Romford drivers and slightly finer bogie and tender wheels. Still a bit under scale, but a bit of an improvement.

But most importantly ...

DSC01264.JPG.b2895aa536788586c8f15a59844749f8.JPG

After over 60 years of service, she's still as strong as an ox and game for yet more adventures! Here she is on test last night, walking away from a signal check at Shap Wells IB signal, 11 bogies in tow - no problem. The mechanism is the original HD motor from 60+ years ago - quite remarkable.

So, not only will she feature in the roster for sentimental reasons but will have a real role to play, tackling the heavier trains (sleepers especially) to help out her more modern but spineless sisters!

(meanwhile, the green 46227 will receive some attention, probably including a similar re-wheeling as she's still got her original HD wheels which aren't the best on Code 75!)

What a nice read to start the day with - thanks!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, queensquare said:

I do like this thread, you get a real sense of people enjoying themselves. 

Jerry

Railway modelling is fun, as CJF was always keen to emphasise.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, 92220 said:

Oh yes.  They certainly will!

Iain

well two more were present today I ma sure Red Leader will post an  actions shot of one of them on a "lent for the day" rake of coaches.

great fun was had. It also proved that we do need bell type communication between operators as the one set in operation toady helped speed the moving of trains considerably. 

Baz

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 minutes ago, Barry O said:

great fun was had. It also proved that we do need bell type communication between operators as the one set in operation toady helped speed the moving of trains considerably. 

Baz

Agree with Baz. Great to run the railway, great to see the team again and the bells worked and were needed.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Oi!  Who nicked shap??? :jester:

Shap’s still there, it’s Scout Green they’ve got.

:-)

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Not being overburdened with big red locos, I'm afraid I took the opportunity to shamelessly profit from another's labours and just try out a few things which have been in need of a test run since lockdown began.  There'll be a few more once Grantham goes back up as well. 

spacer.png

The Wickham was on special offer from (I think) Kernow.   It's been repainted from the yellow version and could do with lettering, if anyone knows where such might be sourced?  It also needs some figures, ideally metal ones, but I expect they'll have to be HO to fit.

This loco has yet to run at Ormesby as far as I recall:

spacer.png

Bachmann ROD repainted and numbered to an example hired to the LSWR in 1919 (plates from 247).  This had a stroll up the S & C and back with a coal train and then went onto shed.   You can still see the gap where it was parked in Graham's picture above. 

Finally the Gauging test train....

spacer.png

spacer.png

DJH C1 (with Portescap).  Birthday present to myself.   I already have a number of these, but you can't have too many (until you get to 95).   It was a bit of a rarity since lockdown, an Ebay buy at a sensible price, probably because it's missing the safety valve cover.   This is only the second time I've had it out of the box but it worked as well as I'd hoped and can now receive some cosmetic attention prior to going into Grantham service.   It cleared the tightest overhead section by a full 2.5mm. 

The other loco disgraced itself and can remain anonymous. 

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 16