Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

4 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

My Lady Godiva (much bashed-out Hornby body, Comet chassis and tender),  the latter should be rivetted I think.

godiva.jpg

Very nice!

Those green lamps on top of the chimney and the cab are an interesting detail. I can't find those in my Millholme kit ...

(already searching for hat and coat ...)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

When I were but a spotty tot, Barrow Road had at least 3 Unbuilt Pats. On one overnight Plymouth Newcastle Mail that my family used to catch to get to Newcastle (and then by bus to Consett) to visit Grandparents, I saw three at Brizzle, all lined up nicely thanks, by a lovely Signal Box, for spotty spotters like me. Must have been the  middle of the night as the Mail took about 12 hours and seemed to wait at Brizzle for bloomin ages (thank goodness). I tell you this as unmodified Pats were like the ultimate spot for oiks from Devon.  Must have gone past Barrow Road but; didn't know what was on the front by then and didn't rally know where that shed was. Doh! None had the additional speciality Lamps.

Ar$£

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

The all important height check. The footplate is shown at 6' 3" on one of the drawings. I reckon that's 25mm in our money. So maybe a twitch low - although the light is catching the edge of the casting so it's probably more like 24.75mm. Loco must be running on worn tyres ... (those are 26mm drivers in actual fact).

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, have you allowed for the thickness of that brass strip or whatever it is the ruler is resting on?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, have you allowed for the thickness of that brass strip or whatever it is the ruler is resting on?

Ah, that's my clever(?) height checker.

The piece of brass that the rule is resting on is itself soldered to the underneath of the separate brass strip that's actually resting on the rails. So it's a true datum (provided that the main strip of brass is resting on both rails).

If that's not clear, I'll take a picture ...

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Whilst a modicum of work continues in the background (although Grantham is priority for receiving some much deserved attention at the moment) and at the risk of shameless self-promotion (not something I'm generally very comfortable with), I thought I'd just drop this in here (as it might suit a LMR 1950s/1960s audience better than a LNER 1930s one?)

image.png.0c72c9dddafcf693533325934a89cfb8.png

As one or two might be aware, I have been involved in a book project and, more than two years after first starting out, the thing has finally been published (latter stages somewhat delayed by Covid). Featuring the colour photographs of my late stepfather, I have written the captions and other writings to tell the tale of Britain’s railway steam age, from its ‘Indian Summer’ of the late 1950s, through its sad decline in the 1960s and subsequent rebirth in the early 1970s preservation era. Although the majority of pictures are of London Midland Region subjects (my stepfather lived in the Stockport, Manchester area), he travelled widely (some trips must have been great adventures in the pre-motorway age!) and the book includes pictures from other areas of the country, such as the south west, Welsh borders, north east and Scotland, so hopefully there is something for everyone. A few (naughty!) examples to perhaps whet your appetite - and have a quick 'guess the location' competition?

(please note that these are my reference images only, hence low-res. For the book, all images have been hi-res scanned and digitally cleaned up as required. Without exception, all images used in the book are the ones that have 'scrubbed up' well from the original colour slides. One or two - sadly- had to be rejected, even though the subject matter was of interest)

02_28.jpg.6858d6a1365f40a931008d5aab3c6f30.jpg    07_22.jpg.ef70895a8da226b6328016082bf03cd6.jpg

25_19.jpg.43822adfb6083b9aa940f878f4a3d44e.jpg    04_14.jpg.e833bc925e5a613fd05ef0c87f5b7d04.jpg

BR_132.jpg.41ee61d84eb32431554f352619881eb7.jpg    1062540316_shildon6.jpg.b6cc677ca1dc221fd99608efbc45ba30.jpg

If you feel so moved(!), the best price I can find at the moment – ONLY AVAILABLE TODAY/TOMORROW (so it appears) – is at:

https://strathwood.co.uk/products/british-steam-in-colour-1957-1975-a-personal-journey-through-the-colour-slide-collection-of-norman-harrop

If you’re already reading this on Monday(!) then no worries, you can still get a good deal at good ‘ol WHSmiths!

https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/british-steam-in-colour-1957-to-1975-a-personal-journey-the-colour-slide-collection-of-norman-harrop/graham-nicholas/paperback/9781857945850.html

Despite that some of the ads say, I can assure you that it IS a hardback book, printed on decent quality, gloss paper. the colour rendition is generally pretty faithful to the originals so I'm quite pleased / relieved(!) about that.

Hope that's of interest. A modelling update to follow before too long (promise!)

Quick word about this Book. I have had a copy for a week and it is beautifully produced and presented with quite an unusual and very attractive page format; I like it a lot. 

No idea who the bloke is that did the written stuff, but by jove he knows his stuff, has a SOH and a great way with captions and must be infatuated with Carlisle as there are quite a few located in that neck of the woods.  Thoroughly recommended, a great read and, of course, the photo's are absolutely filled with detail and the colour reproduction is first class. 

Phil

Graham, when am I getting that bribe?

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Quick word about this Book. I have had a copy for a week and it is beautifully produced and presented with quite an unusual and very attractive page format; I like it a lot. 

No idea who the bloke is that did the written stuff, but by jove he knows his stuff, has a SOH and a great way with captions and must be infatuated with Carlisle as there are quite a few located in that neck of the woods.  Thoroughly recommended, a great read and, of course, the photo's are absolutely filled with detail and the colour reproduction is first class. 

Phil

:protest:

• Funny 7

4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Quick word about this Book....

I like it a lot. 

Phil

Thanks Duckie - your 10 shilling note is on its way ;)

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Thanks Duckie - your 10 shilling note is on it's way ;)

I can sell you a real one if you want, but they’re quite rare these days so command a premium.

:-)

Paul.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Whilst a modicum of work continues in the background (although Grantham is priority for receiving some much deserved attention at the moment) and at the risk of shameless self-promotion (not something I'm generally very comfortable with), I thought I'd just drop this in here (as it might suit a LMR 1950s/1960s audience better than a LNER 1930s one?)

As one or two might be aware, I have been involved in a book project and, more than two years after first starting out, the thing has finally been published (latter stages somewhat delayed by Covid). Featuring the colour photographs of my late stepfather, I have written the captions and other writings to tell the tale of Britain’s railway steam age, from its ‘Indian Summer’ of the late 1950s, through its sad decline in the 1960s and subsequent rebirth in the early 1970s preservation era. Although the majority of pictures are of London Midland Region subjects (my stepfather lived in the Stockport, Manchester area), he travelled widely (some trips must have been great adventures in the pre-motorway age!) and the book includes pictures from other areas of the country, such as the south west, Welsh borders, north east and Scotland, so hopefully there is something for everyone. A few (naughty!) examples to perhaps whet your appetite - and have a quick 'guess the location' competition?

(please note that these are my reference images only, hence low-res. For the book, all images have been hi-res scanned and digitally cleaned up as required. Without exception, all images used in the book are the ones that have 'scrubbed up' well from the original colour slides. One or two - sadly- had to be rejected, even though the subject matter was of interest)

02_28.jpg.6858d6a1365f40a931008d5aab3c6f30.jpg    07_22.jpg.ef70895a8da226b6328016082bf03cd6.jpg

25_19.jpg.43822adfb6083b9aa940f878f4a3d44e.jpg    04_14.jpg.e833bc925e5a613fd05ef0c87f5b7d04.jpg

BR_132.jpg.41ee61d84eb32431554f352619881eb7.jpg    1062540316_shildon6.jpg.b6cc677ca1dc221fd99608efbc45ba30.jpg

If you feel so moved(!), the best price I can find at the moment – ONLY AVAILABLE TODAY/TOMORROW (so it appears) – is at:

https://strathwood.co.uk/products/british-steam-in-colour-1957-1975-a-personal-journey-through-the-colour-slide-collection-of-norman-harrop

If you’re already reading this on Monday(!) then no worries, you can still get a good deal at good ‘ol WHSmiths!

https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/british-steam-in-colour-1957-to-1975-a-personal-journey-the-colour-slide-collection-of-norman-harrop/graham-nicholas/paperback/9781857945850.html

Despite what some of the ads say, I can assure you that it IS a hardback book, printed on decent quality, gloss paper. the colour rendition is generally pretty faithful to the originals so I'm quite pleased / relieved(!) about that.

Hope that's of interest. A modelling update to follow before too long (promise!)

Duly ordered!!

Mike

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

If he fancies buying himself a loaf of bread I have 200,000 Reichsbank note lying around somewhere

As a teen I was into stamp collecting for a short time. I was amazed to come across a 1,000,000 Mark postage stamp. I soon found out the history and just how little 

It actually represented at the time it was issued.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 21/08/2021 at 13:39, LNER4479 said:

If you feel so moved(!), the best price I can find at the moment

Ordered just placed!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/08/2021 at 13:39, LNER4479 said:

Despite what some of the ads say, I can assure you that it IS a hardback book, printed on decent quality, gloss paper. the colour rendition is generally pretty faithful to the originals so I'm quite pleased / relieved(!) about that.

Congratulations Graham, most certainly of interest - samples look lovely, copy ordered :).

Edited by Chas Levin
  • Thanks 1