Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

13 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Top LH photo is Wigan North Western, train heading south. Underneath that Bath Green Park ? and bottom left Carlisle.

Brit15

Well, fancy you getting the Wigan one right! Middle left is in indeed Yeovil Town shed, very model-able location although not my neck of the woods at all.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Well, fancy you getting the Wigan one right! Middle left is in indeed Yeovil Town shed, very model-able location although not my neck of the woods at all.

Not me in the photo at Wigan, a bit before my time !!!

Brit15

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Are there any more photos taken at Yeovil Town? A friend of mine is modelling it and he already has a view in colour very similar to the one illustrated but if there are any more, you could well have another order coming in. I always think that if somebody went to a place and took a photo, there is a fighting chance that they took more than one!

33 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Are there any more photos taken at Yeovil Town? A friend of mine is modelling it and he already has a view in colour very similar to the one illustrated but if there are any more, you could well have another order coming in. I always think that if somebody went to a place and took a photo, there is a fighting chance that they took more than one!

Thanks Tony,

No other shots of Yeovil Town in the book, I'm afraid. There's one more pic in the collection that is a possible for Yeovil Town. But it's only a loco portrait, on the shed so would be of limited use to your friend, I suspect. Loco is GWR 2-6-2T No.5563, which was a Yeovil Town loco from 1959 but, as the image wasn't a candidate for inclusion in the book, I didn't research it any further.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, LNER4479 said:

Thanks Tony,

No other shots of Yeovil Town in the book, I'm afraid. There's one more pic in the collection that is a possible for Yeovil Town. But it's only a loco portrait, on the shed so would be of limited use to your friend, I suspect. Loco is GWR 2-6-2T No.5563, which was a Yeovil Town loco from 1959 but, as the image wasn't a candidate for inclusion in the book, I didn't research it any further.

Thanks for that. I always wondered why my dad, who went to Newcastle in the early 1960s, only seems to have taken one colour slide, that being a Deltic, with no nameplates and no yellow end. There must have been loads of steam locos about. I suppose it was new and unusual and colour slide film was not too widely used, so he took the rarity rather than the common.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I don’t buy steam books . . .

but I have, on account of the promotion and reviews here!

Manchester was my Dad’s stamping ground when he was a teenager (near Patricroft I think) so this should give me an idea of what he would have seen, albeit 15 or so years later than him.  Having seen the front cover with Victoria, I’m hoping for some interesting backgrounds too.

Paul.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Manchester was my Dad’s stamping ground when he was a teenager (near Patricroft I think) so this should give me an idea of what he would have seen, albeit 15 or so years later than him. Having seen the front cover with Victoria, I’m hoping for some interesting backgrounds too.

Hopefully you won't be disappointed. As well as Victoria station, there are pictures at the following location in and around the Manchester environs: Adswood, Baguley, Bredbury, Bury, Dinting, Handforth, Heaton Mersey, Levenshulme, Newton Heath, Patricroft, Reddish, Romiley, Salford and Stockport Edgeley.

Thanks to all for comments so far. Very gratifying, having spent many hours (mainly pleasurable) putting the book together. 'Sir' has a copy for BRM review so am nervously awaiting his critical comments ...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 2750Papyrus said:

I can now confirm receipt of the book and will read it later when I have completed my chores!

What chores?

A pint of bitter, thanks. What's yours?

I thank you.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

What chores?

A pint of bitter, thanks. What's yours?

I thank you.

Sometimes it seems such a good idea that you are on the other side of the world. Just sometimes!

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

21 hours ago, TerryD1471 said:

I don't doubt that this book is wonderful, but are we not getting a bit off topic? Can we get back to Graham's inspirational layout and see what progress he and his gang have made?

Fair do's!

It's stock work only at the moment until end of October, when the chapel space becomes available again. I have a few pictures in the bank so will put together an update soon ...

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 29/08/2021 at 19:19, LNER4479 said:

Hopefully you won't be disappointed.

I’m not!  I’ve only had a quick flick through, but six jumped out at me: Altrincham, somewhere that I remember, (taken from the level crossing footbridge before the bypass overbridge was built), opening out Edgeley tunnels, Adswood sidings - with the bridge built for four tracks, Perth and Thornton shed and Patricroft shed.  Lots more to go back and look in detail.

Many thanks for producing this book.

Paul.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/08/2021 at 22:09, LNER4479 said:

Whilst a modicum of work continues in the background (although Grantham is priority for receiving some much deserved attention at the moment) and at the risk of shameless self-promotion (not something I'm generally very comfortable with), I thought I'd just drop this in here (as it might suit a LMR 1950s/1960s audience better than a LNER 1930s one?)

image.png.0c72c9dddafcf693533325934a89cfb8.png

As one or two might be aware, I have been involved in a book project and, more than two years after first starting out, the thing has finally been published (latter stages somewhat delayed by Covid). Featuring the colour photographs of my late stepfather, I have written the captions and other writings to tell the tale of Britain’s railway steam age, from its ‘Indian Summer’ of the late 1950s, through its sad decline in the 1960s and subsequent rebirth in the early 1970s preservation era. Although the majority of pictures are of London Midland Region subjects (my stepfather lived in the Stockport, Manchester area), he travelled widely (some trips must have been great adventures in the pre-motorway age!) and the book includes pictures from other areas of the country, such as the south west, Welsh borders, north east and Scotland, so hopefully there is something for everyone. A few (naughty!) examples to perhaps whet your appetite - and have a quick 'guess the location' competition?

(please note that these are my reference images only, hence low-res. For the book, all images have been hi-res scanned and digitally cleaned up as required. Without exception, all images used in the book are the ones that have 'scrubbed up' well from the original colour slides. One or two - sadly- had to be rejected, even though the subject matter was of interest)

02_28.jpg.6858d6a1365f40a931008d5aab3c6f30.jpg    07_22.jpg.ef70895a8da226b6328016082bf03cd6.jpg

25_19.jpg.43822adfb6083b9aa940f878f4a3d44e.jpg    04_14.jpg.e833bc925e5a613fd05ef0c87f5b7d04.jpg

BR_132.jpg.41ee61d84eb32431554f352619881eb7.jpg    1062540316_shildon6.jpg.b6cc677ca1dc221fd99608efbc45ba30.jpg

If you feel so moved(!), the best price I can find at the moment – ONLY AVAILABLE TODAY/TOMORROW (so it appears) – is at:

https://strathwood.co.uk/products/british-steam-in-colour-1957-1975-a-personal-journey-through-the-colour-slide-collection-of-norman-harrop

If you’re already reading this on Monday(!) then no worries, you can still get a good deal at good ‘ol WHSmiths!

https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/british-steam-in-colour-1957-to-1975-a-personal-journey-the-colour-slide-collection-of-norman-harrop/graham-nicholas/paperback/9781857945850.html

Despite what some of the ads say, I can assure you that it IS a hardback book, printed on decent quality, gloss paper. the colour rendition is generally pretty faithful to the originals so I'm quite pleased / relieved(!) about that.

Hope that's of interest. A modelling update to follow before too long (promise!)

Picked up mine Friday, after a filthy muddy 17Km there and back drive to my post box down a dirt road................But what lovely book, full of wonderful photos by an obviously very talented photographer. I've gone through it a couple times and find that very often there is more to discover the closer you look at at many of the photos. the captions and comment are very good too ......Can you tell I really like this book:D.

Rgds........Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

And now for something a little different (not least because Grantham is currently centre stage in the chapel).

At least that gives some opportunity for stock work, always a favourite past time. But I aint really done anything quite like this before ...

DSC01252.JPG.bf9f2f60c1b52f01adbd458e9cc2ce62.JPG

Take a sheet of 40thou plasticard and score some horizontal planking lines. Separate into 4 pieces.

DSC01285.JPG.7e54aefce5a4a23939990ab8dc4e37dd.JPG

Score vertically and add some top and bottom rails.

DSC01287.JPG.bd9a41911558d9d84c483e6c2314a246.JPG

Add vertical door surround strengthening pieces.

DSC01386.JPG.98738bde27a316e19f53d26926e97209.JPG

Cut out door apertures and make up doors from 20 thou pieces suitably scored plus surrounds.

DSC01390.JPG.a13c006319dc558fe356d240032cb76a.JPG

Affix doors and add intermediate vertical strengtheners and top runners.

DSC01402.JPG.11739f8e2f0e2910a411aadaf59da123.JPG

Utilise spare n/s rivet strips to make diagonal braces and corner brackets. Superglue into position.

DSC01493.JPG.b835e4d7aa831efb0ed8d7b037f691b9.JPG

Fashion top bearing brackets from 10thou, suitable punched. It was at this stage that I realised that the top runners should have been L-girders. Ah well ...

DSC01501.JPG.2d1bf6a33a3b87cc0260847037107e2a.JPG

Leaping on perhaps just too much, having made the ends using pretty similar techniques, plus some further body details, we now have - in essence - two wagon body kits.

DSC01506.JPG.d7c9f1377984a5cbf90a02600af2ddfd.JPG

Which can be assembled like so.

DSC01792.JPG.46932df04c1d9fba5db0e633bb968521.JPG

I give you two ex-LMS Dia.1871/1872 6-wheel CCTs (see first pic). Well, bodies only for now and with endposts and other remaining detail to add. Two slightly different underframe styles - I'll make them one of each. That's the next part.

Interesting vehicles which are turning up too often in photos to ignore. Very distinctive body style which - I think - lends itself to such an approach. I believe that there has been a kit of sorts in the past but not easy to get hold of. And anyway, I end up with two unique vehicles which I can say 'all my own work'. Not really made a proper wagon from scratch before and I've rather enjoyed this little mini-project so far.

6-wheel wagons are a bit irresistible, aren't they? But quite a few show up in pictures, in both parcels and fitted goods workings so not unreasonable to have a few knocking about.

More on these whenever I'm able to devote some more time to them.

That's Ruddy Good Work.
I'm going to be interested to see how you tackle that perpetual swine, the six-wheeled chassis!
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2