Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

Why Bachmann haven't produced their Crimson Rambler in crimson is beyond me.  Mind you, their days of pounding (or groaning) up Shap were mostly pre-1930s displaced by Scots and Patriots at first then the big ones later in the decade.

• Agree 1

That Claughton is a smasher.  And it made me think well, hmm, great minds think alike?  look what turned up in my shed this week...

attachicon.gif20190126_125304.jpg

attachicon.gif20190126_125414.jpg

a little bit of tinkering should see it all running as well as it looks, can't fault the Bachmann Compound but the Ratio Claytons have a way to go

Way to go, Dr G-F :yahoo:

Coaches look fine to me ... as 'layout coaches', creating an overall expression.

What it does need though (in addition to removing that 'orrible loco front coupling) is some super smashing great Pecoboo bullhead track to set it off - away with yer 36 ties to the length, spiked US track, you...

• Funny 1

On 1/29/2019 at 7:30 AM, LNER4479 said:

some super smashing great Pecoboo bullhead track to set it off - away with yer 36 ties to the length, spiked US track, you...

Yes you're right - tell you what; you provide the funding, I'll provide the labour to replace this little lot...

post-238-0-95128300-1547542480.jpg

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
add image
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

To celebrate the all new bells n whistles, whizz bang version of RMWeb, a purely gratuitous additional shot of that Claughton-hauled train, just to prove that I've worked out how to post piccies.

DSC05054.JPG.3b17d36d61e288b852286367bcd4ddf8.JPG

Let's have a quiz! Aside from the highly unlikely congregation of quite so many photographers, can you spot the obvious three anomalies with this 1930s scene? (one VERY obvious; they then get more difficult)

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I was going to say the cars, colour light signals and the fact at least one of the coaches has a flat topped 3 for third class, which makes it post 1940 by which time the loco would have been scrapped?

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

59 minutes ago, Buhar said:

OK Graham, I'll give it a go.  The cars (easy), the colour light signal and (because I know it's there) the flat-bottomed rail.

Yep - pretty much. I was actually thinking of the concrete sleepers (route re-laid 1965-1967). It had flat bottomed prior to that but probably bullhead pre-war.

Intermediate colour light signals were installed during the war to increase line capacity.

54 minutes ago, 5 C said:

I was going to say the cars, colour light signals and the fact at least one of the coaches has a flat topped 3 for third class, which makes it post 1940 by which time the loco would have been scrapped?

Sounds like I need to swot up on the finer LMS details!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Plus none of your model people have hats. Pre war nearly everyone wore a hat.

Sorry one of my things about layouts, populated with people in non-period attire. I know your layout is set at the end of steam when not wearing an 'at became fashionable so normally your little bods would be OK. 

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

12 hours ago, richard i said:

No sky either that’s an anomaly for any time period.

Layout not fully dressed - normally there's a sky (albeit a clear blue one - an anomaly for any time period on Shap)

54 minutes ago, cb900f said:

Graham,

The guy stood with the lady is using a digital SLR ?

Pete

That would be an anomaly for 1967, never mind 1937!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

And it depends on which end of the 1930s you choose. Early 30s very few period III coaching stock, different lining schemes still to be seen. No porthole stock, different loco lining on some locos....

The cars and people are easy to change. The stock is a bit more complicated

Baz

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 03/02/2019 at 10:45, LNER4479 said:

Layout not fully dressed - normally there's a sky (albeit a clear blue one - an anomaly for any time period on Shap)

That would be an anomaly for 1967, never mind 1937!

Hi There,

It was sunny in Shap this afternoon, albeit slightly cloudy this morning after last nights rain that got rid of most of the snow.

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 04/02/2019 at 05:28, manna said:

On 04/02/2019 at 05:28, manna said:

G'day Folks

That's me with the SLR, I'm time travelling from 2020.

manna

Presimbly you must have travelled back in either the 1965 Ford Anglia Super, or what seems to be the 1957 Ford Consul at the bottom of the hill ! 

• Like 1