Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Did you use the Lima bogies Graham or replace them with something else?

Replacement Bachmann BR1 bogies, John - so will ride like a pig(!) I had to lower the mounting to achieve correct ride height, which involves gouging out some material from the coach floor above the wheels.

I'm only after the shape of the Lima's body ... I always thought that, despite their many shortcomings, the Lima offering did capture the shape of the MkI body shell well.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Replacement Bachmann BR1 bogies, John - so will ride like a pig(!) I had to lower the mounting to achieve correct ride height, which involves gouging out some material from the coach floor above the wheels.

I'm only after the shape of the Lima's body ... I always thought that, despite their many shortcomings, the Lima offering did capture the shape of the MkI body shell well.

Thanks Graham. My Limas still have the original bogies. I drilled a big hole in the floor, stuck some 60 thou plastic sheet on top of the hole and drilled a smaller hole in that, so the boss on the bogie was recessed into the floor and the retaining clip fitted the hole in the plastic sheet.

Wheels were Gibson with short axles. There is just enough clearance between them and the floors.

With Flushglaze and a repaint, they don't look too bad - certainly better than Tri-ang/Hornby or Mainline (except the Mainline RB which was and is superb) which were the only RTR alternatives at the time.

I still run a Lima RB on the layout, as well as a Mk1 GUV and some LMS short bogie vans (confession - I didn't change the bogies on those). My Siphons all have replacement Airfix/Mainline/Dapol 9ft plate bogies. I also have some more Mk1s which will run behind "City of Truro" as an excursion from the late 1950s.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I remembered to take a photo of the Freightliner "Caboose" yesterday

653552747_freightlinercaboose.JPG.58ae2555a3ecdd1d73c709f450c4acba.JPG

This was the first design tried..

And a shot of a modified DJH 9F by the cottages at the summat

1894875963_9F92150infrontofShapcottages.JPG.152bb826ae8bedeb595638b129177a7c.JPG

Cylinders are now in the correct position.

Baz

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

If those are the only windows it would have been pretty oppressive in there. No wonder they tried an alternative with a veranda. 

Paul.

• Agree 2

Those cottages at the summit were a Joseph Locke/John Errington (possibly in association with William Tite) generic design, designated Platelayers Cottages. The same design used on the L&C was perpetuated on the Caledonian main line and there are original drawings in the CRA archive at the University of Glasgow, A couple of examples still exist as private houses.

• Informative/Useful 4

16 hours ago, Buhar said:

Hi Graham, 

What's the advantage of letting the plastic mice loose on the donor body side as opposed to removing the side completely and using the Comet replacement alone? 

Alan 

Hi Alan,

I'm retaining as much of the body shell as possible so it will keep its shape. An unsupported thin brass side can easily become distorted, especially over such a length.

I do like soldering up coaches from brass kits but that's a completely different starting point so far as I'm concerned.

Graham 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I have slowly caught up with this thread, from conception up until now. What an absolute masterpiece!!

It's certainly inspirational to see work like this, having Grantham and Shap in the same room is a very impressive feat (not just geographically)!

I'm looking forward to seeing more!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Its really Lady Patricia.. guess who has a sister with Patricia as a middle name.

The Jubilee was built by the late Geoff Brewin.

A lot of hardwork from red leader amd and  Andrew to get it all to work.

And bits of scenic work from Tom and Paul.

No ballasting for me.. and, before you ask it, the fiddle yard doesn't need ballasting!

Baz

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Its really Lady Patricia.. guess who has a sister with Patricia as a middle name.

The Jubilee was built by the late Geoff Brewin.

A lot of hardwork from red leader amd and  Andrew to get it all to work.

And bits of scenic work from Tom and Paul.

No ballasting for me.. and, before you ask it, the fiddle yard doesn't need ballasting!

Baz

Go on, you know you want to. :tomato:

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Please don't take this as a criticism, just a thought, but, as nice as the wiring and control system is, could you fault find on it at an exhibition if it started playing up, or does your wiring fiend attend with you? That's one of the reasons I do my own wiring, (not up to your fantastic standard though), so that if if a fault occurs I understand what I have done.

Mike.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Baz

Barry,

with all that electrical wizardry on show we will have more folks looking at the back of the layout than the front........ So you know it makes sense really.

Tom

Edited by LMS29
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

DSC08229.JPG.93dce4f1ed453049b5457bf8c625e55f.JPG

Under the boards are further logic boards doing ... er ... lots of clever things I don't pretend to understand.

Good choice of connector!  I use them lots on my custom boards too.

Paul.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Please don't take this as a criticism, just a thought, but, as nice as the wiring and control system is, could you fault find on it at an exhibition if it started playing up, or does your wiring fiend attend with you? That's one of the reasons I do my own wiring, (not up to your fantastic standard though), so that if if a fault occurs I understand what I have done.

Mike.

Good question, Mike - perfectly valid, constructive criticism always good.

It is indeed a question I repeatedly asked Andrew, ie where's the 'doors to manual' switch?(!)

Firstly, he intends to attend as many shows as possible as he does enjoy operating and naturally wants to 'play' with the system he has installed.

Secondly - hopefully because of my asking the above question - it all in fact does work manually as I've tried it! So we should never be presented with a situation of total shut down. Even though I make out that I don't understand it, I do after a fashion. We also talked it through in some detail earlier in the year and he has kept pace with the construction of the fiddle yard whilst I have - in turn - put insulators etc in places where we agreed they would go etc. So we have sort of designed it together and I have 'reined him in' in one or two cases where I felt it was getting TOO clever with attendant risk of defeating us in an exhibition environment. We've been friends over 30 years so understand each other quite well in that regard.:drink_mini:

Of course, this will all be 'famous last words' when you're leaning on a barrier at a show and no trains are running!

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

What is to become of Manchester Central, seen languishing in the back ground of several recent photos?

Aha - that is one day destined for a prominent role in my grand 'layout of a lifetime' that will one day fill the chapel. It will in fact adopt the mantle of 'the rest of the world' where all trains will start and finish. Rather than a bland fiddle yard, having taken several years to build the darn thing, it will all be depicted as a terminal station with adjacent goods yard, loco facilities, etc. Operators who enjoy working a terminal station should have a fine time.

The platforms are only currently suitable for 7 coach train but my idea there is to site the station 3 foot away from the end wall and let the tracks run through - the end screen is detachable with such an idea in mind (how about that for forward thinking?).

Of course it will be a load of nonsense for WCML trains supposed to be at Euston (although it will fit in nicely for trains over the Midland route from St Pancras ... all two of them!) but - hey - you only have one lifetime and a healthy dose of rule 1 will be applied.

Myself and Barry have also threatened to do something with it in conjunction with the Leeds lads for their Chapel-en-le-filth layout. Maybe, one day ...

69485183_Print09(ManchrCentral).jpg.8bdb661c68d1860411d2a0c273001adc.jpg 1686969358_ModelRailwayCentral1.jpg.a084a2f6d650550feb8da595ac31260b.jpg

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Aha - that is one day destined for a prominent role in my grand 'layout of a lifetime' that will one day fill the chapel. It will in fact adopt the mantle of 'the rest of the world' where all trains will start and finish. Rather than a bland fiddle yard, having taken several years to build the darn thing, it will all be depicted as a terminal station with adjacent goods yard, loco facilities, etc. Operators who enjoy working a terminal station should have a fine time.

The platforms are only currently suitable for 7 coach train but my idea there is to site the station 3 foot away from the end wall and let the tracks run through - the end screen is detachable with such an idea in mind (how about that for forward thinking?).

Of course it will be a load of nonsense for WCML trains supposed to be at Euston (although it will fit in nicely for trains over the Midland route from St Pancras ... all two of them!) but - hey - you only have one lifetime and a healthy dose of rule 1 will be applied.

Myself and Barry have also threatened to do something with it in conjunction with the Leeds lads for their Chapel-en-le-filth layout. Maybe, one day ...

69485183_Print09(ManchrCentral).jpg.8bdb661c68d1860411d2a0c273001adc.jpg 1686969358_ModelRailwayCentral1.jpg.a084a2f6d650550feb8da595ac31260b.jpg

Hi Grahame

It is interesting what you have done with the overall roof. The other day there was another discussion of what I should do with Sheffield Exchange regarding protecting the passengers from the elements. All railways in big cities liked to show they had arrived with a huge and grand building trouble is an overall roof gets in the way. What I am going to do is have the side supporting walls and some columns on the middle platform and no roof.

1. I can get at the trains if need be
  2. I can see the trains
  3. It places the viewer, normally only me, in the station. I am still a trainspotter.
  4. Something less to think about of how I am going to model it.

Please no suggestions it could be roofless following bomb damage during the war. Sheffield suffered badly in the blitz, please go to my thread and read the post from Enterprising Mike and how lucky his mother was.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Can't fault your logic Clive.

The plan with Manchester Central was to have the central section as a removable section so as you could get inside for photography, uncoupling, etc - but I never got that round tuit thingy in its case. I did get as far as cutting the central arch sections and they have come along with it so I could finish the job one day. FWIW, the roof was four feet long, with the central lift out section accounting for the middle two feet.

Of course, I will have this conundrum all over again when it comes to Carlisle's overall roof, not to mention whether to go for the original full roof with impressive end screen or the later cutback version (as exists today). The roof was altered c.1956-7, right in the middle of my time period so I could legitimately have either. Hmm ...

Nice to see the old place cleaned up all nice after recent efforts.

WP_20190226_14_06_15_Pro.jpg.09db7bc33aa37ebdb22ada507e8c417f.jpg

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 9