Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Can you spot the other various little (and not so little!) mods and details lavished on these two miniature examples of Stanier's magnum opus?

Front frame extensions around the pony wheels by any chance? I'm not familiar with the newest Hornby Duchesses but the earlier ones always had

a bit too much space in this area.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

Front frame extensions around the pony wheels by any chance? I'm not familiar with the newest Hornby Duchesses but the earlier ones always had

a bit too much space in this area.

One down; about 19 to go (although you have identified one of the more significant ones). And yes, to clarify, these are the earlier Hornby Duchesses...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

So....

With days to go until the first show of the season (Hartlepool this coming weekend), time for a last update on the stock side.

DSC08603.JPG.3b8affa990226d1524d21c9aa94c2fa3.JPG

Work on the 1950s Royal Scot is complete! Here are the two Lima/Comet conversions previously featured, now 'released to traffic'. First of all the full Kitchen Car, here displaying its corridor side.

DSC08605.JPG.91e56a8ce9b55b61349eb4031a4c73ee.JPG

And the partner Third Class Restaurant Car. Having acquired a pack of Precision Labels for the train, all the passenger carrying vehicles in the set now have roof boards affixed (nine such sets of labels in the pack so just fitted them to the public side for now!)

DSC08607.JPG.79e47153befefdd624f93a0adefdc815.JPG

Also provided are the rather nice end boards which make for an appropriate finishing touch.

DSC08950.JPG.c25fd4eeabfc48b033fd15215182a231.JPG

Of course, a train such as this needs appropriate motive power. And it has been Oh such a hardship to work on not one but two of my all time fave locos over the last few weeks(!) Here is Polmadie's 46224 Princess Alexandra in all her finery, suitably tarted up to work the train. A little weathering still required - not to mention a set of lamps (thought I'd get in there before Mr Wright mentions it).

DSC08952.JPG.1ff2a875a7e53484b9677855b487d66b.JPG

Standing alongside, is sister loco 46248 'City of Leeds', but depicted towards the end of the 'Duchess' story in early 1960s condition. This - you might remember(?) - was the 46251 'City of Nottingham' passed on from 60022 of this parish for services rendered, so has required extra work to convert from curved front footplate to the 'utility front' arrangement.

Can you spot the other various little (and not so little!) mods and details lavished on these two miniature examples of Stanier's magnum opus?

Haven't actually put together the complete Royal Scot set with '224 at the business end so quite looking forward to seeing it myself at Hartlepool. Hope to see you there if you're planning to coming along; alternatively, not too much longer after that until the Peterborough show, before which I hope to work on some of the other stock / locos in a similar manner.

They really are super looking engines.  However, if I can be permitted the slightest of niggles... the brown haze weathering that seems rather fashionable at the moment is really unconvincing, so much so that it breaks my belief in the model.  There will be some 'brake dust/speeding through poo'  brown, but there are also many other things that shade the running gear and lower part of the loco, oil, emulsified oil/boiler gunge, rust, dirt, etc.

For your delectation, I offer the following as suggestions:

00-0a-rs-greenwood-46240-llandudno.jpg.1a3f52ad5587933458c6e69e8601e6fe.jpg

00-a-rs-greenwood-46254-crewe-2.jpg.26f2c61615aeaf4ab951791685b5cb51.jpg

4973785503_f6dc746838_b.jpg.a6fe69e46bc99dfc5c1a7a6aa36fe482.jpg

I particularly like the bow-wave on City of Leeds...

Hopefully helpful, certainly not intended as carping.  But the brown haze is a bugbear of mine.  A certain commercial weathering outfit does it all the  time.... grrrr!

• Like 16
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

4973785503_f6dc746838_b.jpg.a6fe69e46bc99dfc5c1a7a6aa36fe482.jpg

I particularly like the bow-wave on City of Leeds...

It's almost like the dirt on that smoke deflector has traced up the outline of the front of... an A4! 

• Funny 4

45 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

They really are super looking engines.  However, if I can be permitted the slightest of niggles... the brown haze weathering that seems rather fashionable at the moment is really unconvincing, so much so that it breaks my belief in the model.  There will be some 'brake dust/speeding through poo'  brown, but there are also many other things that shade the running gear and lower part of the loco, oil, emulsified oil/boiler gunge, rust, dirt, etc.

Hopefully helpful, certainly not intended as carping.  But the brown haze is a bugbear of mine.  A certain commercial weathering outfit does it all the  time.... grrrr!

Have no fear, good Doctor - 'proper' weathering is in the pipeline. I've just rather run out of time for this weekend's show and getting the engines mod'd is of course the first task. FWIW, 46248 (nee 46251) came with the factory brown haze already applied so all I've done for now is to apply a similar shade to the new bits of plastic to maintain the uniform look (otherwise that would have looked REALLY odd!). Super Barry-O of this parish does rather a good line in subtle weathering of Duchesses...

In the meantime, feel free to post as many pictures as you like of these magnificent machines!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

One down; about 19 to go (although you have identified one of the more significant ones). And yes, to clarify, these are the earlier Hornby Duchesses...

Ii wasn't sure about the rear truck frames, either. My two Hornby Duchesses are from 2002-ish and have the rubbish rear bogie but I think they improved

the design in that area a few years later? I've got two of the Comet detailing sets with the rear frame extensions, just haven't got round to them yet.

Er, what else? Battery boxes etc?

3 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Ii wasn't sure about the rear truck frames, either. My two Hornby Duchesses are from 2002-ish and have the rubbish rear bogie but I think they improved

the design in that area a few years later? I've got two of the Comet detailing sets with the rear frame extensions, just haven't got round to them yet.

Er, what else? Battery boxes etc?

Yep - rear frames was the other big thing. It's only the recent Hornby revamp that's done away with the ridiculous moving rear frames. I managed to find them as a spare part via Peter's Spares (for the even earlier tender drive version!) so have fitted those, in conjunction with hacking away the rear bogie casting.

Some of the other details are more - er - detailed! Mainly at the front end; the following picture gives some indication:

DSC08952_crop.jpg.70cbe5b296373a77356db4ebbbc5ce86.jpg

Some of these are related to the front footplating conversion but it all needs doing. The loco as supplied has the AWS battery box and reservoir already fitted but needed the 'bang plate' for consistency. Above the bogie transom should be the side bearer brackets but they're not as prominent on a Duchess compared to a Princess.

46224 didn't need as much as this doing (no AWS for one thing) but interestingly, as the last member of the first five built, has a different cylinder draincock arrangement (bypass valves?) so - yep - I've had a go at those as well. Very noticeable once you become aware of it and start studying pictures of 46220-224. 46248 meanwhile lacks any draincocks at all so that's still on the 'to do' list. I'd like to improve aspects of the valvegear in time as well. 46224 has however been treated to some decent Gibsons front bogie wheels.

DSC08950_crop.jpg.281c1707ccaec4e89553cfa893ddb2fc.jpg

Did I mention that I quite like these locos?...

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Very much looking forward to hosting 46245, Tony. Likely to be allocated to the 'Caledonian', a flyweight at only 8 coaches but I'm sure we'll get the chance to try her on some larger trains at some point.

Mind you, also looking forward to seeing how my 46251 (Model Loco / DJH) shapes up. She should be no slouch, either

WP_20171115_21_12_59_Pro.jpg.b565fbc24064a5a66e6d4f71c92d5d3b.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Mind you, also looking forward to seeing how my 46251 (Model Loco / DJH) shapes up. She should be no slouch, either

Well it looks as though it made it to Aberdeen, so a pretty good effort...

• Agree 2

On 09/08/2019 at 21:41, Leander said:

As far as I can remember, both D400 and D401 were so fitted. The rest had blanking plates over where the multiple unit connections would have been prior to having them fitted retrospectively.

I think that is correct. The other 48 were built with the mu apparatus, but it was concealed behind blanking plates on the loco front beneath the cab. It was presumably a simple task to remove the plates and fit the connectors.

I've thought of changing the Hornby model of D421 (original railblue) back to as built condition without the external cables. Looking at photos of the locos like this they do have a certain purity about them, particularly compared to later life when they acquired the headlights as well.

I also seem to remember, although it's a long time ago now, that the haulage patterns could be quite confusing to a train watcher. Whilst the Euston - Glasgows, at 2 hour intervals, usually managed double heading, the various intermediate workings did not. So the trains that split/ joined at Preston for Manchester and Liverpool, those doing same at Carstairs for Glasgow/ Edinburgh, the services north from Birmingham to Scotland, and the Euston - Carlisles were usually single headed. I suspect these were 10 or 11 coaches rather than the 13 of the Euston - Glasgows, but still a fair load over Shap and Beattock.

Looking forward to seeing the layout at Peterborough in a couple of months time, perhaps we can have the pair of 50's on show!

John.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Like this you mean?

Aug_30_Caledonian.JPG.3ee3504284dddf5488f6474a77dcdfec.JPG

Has the rear of the train become uncoupled in the fiddle yard ? Only 8 on, it's nearly a light engine.

Pete

Edited by cb900f
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, cb900f said:

Has the rear of the train become uncoupled in the fiddle yard ? Only 8 on, it's nearly a light engine.

Pete

Ah, that's the Caledonian. Only ever an 8 coach formation. Needs coach roof boards and headboard for the loco to convince (will be done by Peterborough).

'Sir's 46245 will primarily be allocated to this working. 46256 will be held in reserve as she's still in out-of-the-box condition.

• Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Ah, that's the Caledonian. Only ever an 8 coach formation. Needs coach roof boards and headboard for the loco to convince (will be done by Peterborough).

'Sir's 46245 will primarily be allocated to this working. 46256 will be held in reserve as she's still in out-of-the-box condition.

Hi There,

Do you have any unusual locomotives such as GT3, Prototype Deltic or the Fell ?

Gibbo.