Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, apbolton said:

Or is it the Great Northern one that's now a car park, now that would be fun to build!

Especially if ‘fun’ = tedious.

:-)

It is an iconic building though. Would make a great low relief backscene.

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/11/2020 at 20:46, Leander said:

The roof looks like it's wrong way round Baz.

So that train should have a 

1914154428_PeriodIIRUKUnclassifiedkitchendinerotherside.JPG.b17c0164c9bb16c58f9c9e3bfcb03184.JPG in it (As in a 1616922037_PeriodIIRUKUnclassifiedkitchendiner.JPG.3ec95946fa4069b2fb249de3ce1630a5.JPGPd II 12 wheeled RU)

The other alternative would be the Period II RF

1511001110_PeriodIIRestaurantFirstotherside.JPG.7e95537f536ef6d52be8e2510d0bc09e.JPG

which needs the table lamps and curtains finishing

1969326799_PeriodIIRFK12wheelMaroon.JPG.52d8af8a0aa262967e75597468c7ed82.JPG

These have the roof on the correct way around now... @Leander

Baz

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

I have forgotten what year you were representing your "Waverley".

The "Operation Midland" book shows a Restaurant Kitchen Third in 1955. Taken with the rest of the formation, all Mk1 except a Period3 added at Sheffield, this seems odd as all the First accommodation is compartments. But this is because the train only offered Buffet service.

When I can dig out my Bradshaws, I will see what they say about the catering offer in other years.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

3 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

The "Operation Midland" book shows a Restaurant Kitchen Third in 1955. Taken with the rest of the formation, all Mk1 except a Period3 added at Sheffield, this seems odd as all the First accommodation is compartments. But this is because the train only offered Buffet service.

When I can dig out my Bradshaws, I will see what they say about the catering offer in other years.

Not going to be tied to a year. Anything 1953-1959 more or less goes on the layout in general.

'The Waverley' will be something of a signature train as it is the only named train that'll traverse TWO scenic sections of route, ie through Garsdale on the S&C south of Carlisle and Riccarton on the Waverley (sic) route north of Carlisle. This also means that it will be the only prestige train that won't return to Central station (rest of the world) after every run, as the northbound train ends up at the separate Edinburgh fiddle yard.

SO

That gives us the opportunity for two Waverley rakes, that'll alternate each day. So one can be a 1953/4-ish rake in crimson/cream and the other 1958/9-ish in maroon.

That's the current thinking anyway. It'll be some years yet before the full Leeds-Garsdale-Carlisle-Riccarton-Edinburgh route is available for the train to run over(!) so plenty of time for further thinking.

Ultimately, the limiting factor will be capacity at Central station as each rake of coaches will spend most of their time sitting around there. Some can be multi-use but I'd like the prestige / named trains to stay as they are. As a bare minimum: 'The Royal Scot'; 'The Midday Scot'; 'The Waverley'; and 'The Thames-Clyde Express'. But then there's the Birmingham-Glasgow, Manchester/Liverpool-Glasgow ... not to mention the odd sleeper or two.

Hmm ... I think I better think it out again (as Ron Moody once sang)

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/11/2020 at 19:06, LNER4479 said:

DSC00538.JPG.4b5e5464c6510a20195e139aa21bd0d5.JPG

Meanwhile, standing behind, is another kit built loco which will add a bit of variety. This time 'for services rendered', it was built by a certain Mr Duck of this parish from a Comet kit and is the result of me enjoying myself laying track (and other stuff) at Seaton Junction. It awaits a return to the paintshop for lining and numbering as 44757, a Holbeck engine from new (1948) until 1963 and plenty of pictures of it (can't quite bring myself to call this one a 'her'!) on the S&C towards Carlisle.

More soon

Hi Graham

The other week/month when I met up with Mr Duck he said he had a Crapotty Five and asked would I be interested in it. He then went on to say he wasn't sure where it was as he couldn't find it.

Shall I tell him I have found it?

Wot is he like?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

From my observations of photographs, during the late 1950s, the catering vehicle was a LMS Period two composite dining car - a la Hornby.  It is also possible that during 1961, a 12 wheel period 2 RF was used, which is useful because Comet coaches produce brass sides for the RF but not the compo'.  I suspect that the buffet service was due to the staffing level, which meant that you were able to purchase sandwiches and drinks to consume in the restaurant car but not a hot meal.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Graham

The other week/month when I met up with Mr Duck he said he had a Crapotty Five and asked would I be interested in it. He then went on to say he wasn't sure where it was as he couldn't find it.

Wot is he like?

Curses - rumbled!:triniti:

P'raps he's got a stash of them?

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

17 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

You mean one like this?

Following a light intermediate decoder re-installation.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

26 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Yep!

There you are Clive - they're everywhere, multiplying like gremlins ...

Somewhat like Clive's cut and shut coaches !

I'm only Push and Pulling his leg.

Edited by Gibbo675
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Somewhat like Clive's cut and shut coaches !

I'm only Push and Pulling his leg.

Hi Gibbo

I have a 4mm drawing of a Crapotty Five, some plastic card and a Hornby Black Five allocated for a visit to the workshops.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 02/11/2020 at 01:54, LNER4479 said:

DSC00500.JPG.a7c2c4f781ebbcee56e50a8a0a60224b.JPG

Now, a couple of more individual locos, sandwiching another Mainline product. Firstly, we have 46107 'Argyll & Sutherland Highlander' (great name!), scratchbuilt by the late Peter Sykes. However, its old X04 motor (yes - really!) has given up the ghost and it could do with being re-shod as the existing wheels are a bit cr@ppy.

Then we have Mainline 45596 which 'boasts' the newer type of chassis with the can motor. Except, when I tried it recently, it didn't want to work either! Also, I'd quite like to keep it as 45596 for personal reasons (and there's a cracking 1963 pic of her breasting Shap summit); however, it has the wrong boiler type! (long firebox). So, currently stumped on that one.

I have a new type SFB Jub smokebox, boiler and firebox left over from my 45735 build, Graham.  You’re more than welcome to it.

Iain

• Thanks 1