Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

"I saw 46100 this evening at sunny 36E. It is quite small but very neat."

Ooh - a Scot! Larvly.

Don't be fooled by its dainty looks; that thing can shift, if it were given its head. Size for size, that boiler is one of the most efficient steam raisers around.

Looking forward to seeing one going up 1:76 Shap :locomotive:

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 4

Hi

I presume that there's a reason why either 1930s or 40s wouldn't work (putting aside the constraint of assembling the stock)? Sets of crimson lake plus the other type of streamliners would be quite something to watch.

David

Hi

No qualms about doing 1930's - just the small matter of providing the stock! Another of my research books was 'Treacy's LMS', by Jenkinson & Whitehouse - any number of marvellous pre-war pics of Shap in there.

I believe that the additional colour light signals were installed in the mid-1930's, so that dates it slightly as we have the one at Shap Wells.

• RMweb Gold

I believe that the additional colour light signals were installed in the mid-1930's, so that dates it slightly as we have the one at Shap Wells.

Shap Summit box was replaced by the latter structure in 1925/6, Shap Wells IBS into use 1942 - controlled from Scout Green,

G'Day Folks

Two things I noticed on the video, surely it's going down hill ?? and is that a Ex 'Clacton' power car on the back ??  LOL. :jester:  :jester:

manna

PS, I know, you can go off of people.

Edited by manna

Shap Wells IBS into use 1942 - controlled from Scout Green,

Thanks. Sounds like a war time capacity improvement.

It looks, from the Treacy pics, as if the Shap summit down distant signal might have been replaced with a colour light pre-war?

• RMweb Premium

"I saw 46100 this evening at sunny 36E. It is quite small but very neat."

Ooh - a Scot! Larvly.

Don't be fooled by its dainty looks; that thing can shift, if it were given its head. Size for size, that boiler is one of the most efficient steam raisers around.

Looking forward to seeing one going up 1:76 Shap :locomotive:

We were hoping that, as it was 12 down, it would be straight through 36E. Sadly there were two overtakes required so it was sidelined. Substituting for the Duchess and will be around again on the 20th at 36E and is around over the next couple of weekends through Chesterfield/Barrow Hill etc to York.

I was impressed by UTube footagae of Scots over Shap a few pages back.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mike

there are no worries about different stock for the layout as Red Leader has lots of friends with suitable stock.

Biggest problem would be getting it on and off the layout during a show.. but I may have a cunning idea to share with the Layoutmeister...

Baz

• Like 2

Baz,

Looking forward to hearing your cunning plan and enjoyed reading the views shared about the era (s) that should be

depict next so would be interested in hearing Red Leaders view on the era (s) we will be modelling at out next show.

Tom

• RMweb Gold

Thanks. Sounds like a war time capacity improvement.

It looks, from the Treacy pics, as if the Shap summit down distant signal might have been replaced with a colour light pre-war?

Looks like that's the case, an isolated striped post fitted with a 3 lamp head with normal yellow / green in the bottom 2 and an auxiliary yellow at the top in case of filament failure in the main aspect.

Baz,

Looking forward to hearing your cunning plan and enjoyed reading the views shared about the era (s) that should be

depict next so would be interested in hearing Red Leaders view on the era (s) we will be modelling at out next show.

Tom

Well, Tom - the answer to that is simple. The next show will be the Leeds 2018 show (which Barry knows all about!) and we will exhibit the layout exactly as we did at Warley to fit in with the 50 years since the end of steam theme for the show (even though we'll be technically a year out!).

It's the show after that (Hartlepool 2019) when we can start to try something different. Based on the experience of Warley, once the short term 'to do' list has been worked through (hopefully in time for Leeds), then I think I will 'bite the bullet' and spend some time in 2019 building a purpose-designed fiddle yard for Shap (for those that hadn't realised, we made use of the Grantham fiddle yard at Warley). This will facilitate much easier operation and allow a wider range of stock to be on the layout at any one time which then lends itself to my idea of a continuously rolling time frame.

• Like 8

Please excuse what may be an ignorant question from someone whose major interests lie on the eastern side of the hills.

I do admire the final development of the three cylinder 4-6-0 represented by the re-built Royal Scots.

Were any ever painted LMS red (or should that be maroon)?

(That is apart from the re-built high-pressure engine, which I don't think is quite as good-looking.)

• Like 1

Please excuse what may be an ignorant question from someone whose major interests lie on the eastern side of the hills.

I do admire the final development of the three cylinder 4-6-0 represented by the re-built Royal Scots.

Were any ever painted LMS red (or should that be maroon)?

(That is apart from the re-built high-pressure engine, which I don't think is quite as good-looking.)

Mike is - of course - correct re only 6170 being painted LMS red (maroon!) in rebuilt form.

Before someone else does, I'll wade in with the technicality that, upon preservation, No.6100 'Royal Scot' was indeed painted LMS red for display at Billy Butlin's Skegness holiday camp. I remember seeing her thus in the early 1970's. In fact she kept this livery for over 40 years in the end, throughout her time at Bressingham and was originally going to be returned to mainline operation in the livery (she did, briefly, steam on a couple of preserved lines in the red livery) but, since coming under the wing of the LSL Crewe stable, she is now in her 'correct' BR green.

There was a version of the original Mainline Royal Scot model in 1980 produced as No.6100 in red - I know because I once owned one! In fact, I still have it but it now has a green body.

Nice locos, Scots and very much part of the Shap story, being the most capable XP loco around before the pacifics came along. They will feature on the model in due course.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Mike is - of course - correct re only 6170 being painted LMS red (maroon!) in rebuilt form.

Before someone else does, I'll wade in with the technicality that, upon preservation, No.6100 'Royal Scot' was indeed painted LMS red for display at Billy Butlin's Skegness holiday camp. I remember seeing her thus in the early 1970's. In fact she kept this livery for over 40 years in the end, throughout her time at Bressingham and was originally going to be returned to mainline operation in the livery (she did, briefly, steam on a couple of preserved lines in the red livery) but, since coming under the wing of the LSL Crewe stable, she is now in her 'correct' BR green.

There was a version of the original Mainline Royal Scot model in 1980 produced as No.6100 in red - I know because I once owned one! In fact, I still have it but it now has a green body.

Nice locos, Scots and very much part of the Shap story, being the most capable XP loco around before the pacifics came along. They will feature on the model in due course.

Having enjoyed watching many of the videos featured on this thread the Scot seems to have a great sounding exhaust with a deep bass beat that the 2 and 4 cylinder locos don't seem to have.

Jamie  

• RMweb Premium

Second thing wasn't 6170 a bit of a one off? After Fury blew herself up and took up space in Derby paint shop a new taper boiler was built for it, a number 2. This was unique and not interchangeable with a 2A boiler as fitted to the other 6XP locomotives of the Jubilee, Patriot and Royal Scot classes. So was it a Royal Scot or in a class of its own?

Anyone got a model of British Legion?

Second thing wasn't 6170 a bit of a one off? After Fury blew herself up and took up space in Derby paint shop a new taper boiler was built for it, a number 2. This was unique and not interchangeable with a 2A boiler as fitted to the other 6XP locomotives of the Jubilee, Patriot and Royal Scot classes. So was it a Royal Scot or in a class of its own?

Correct - with a few clarifications. 6170's boiler can be thought of as the prototype for the larger LMS 4-6-0 boiler, the type 2A (a magnificent steam raiser, married with a double chimney). All the other Royal Scots were rebuilt with the 2A but only two Jubilees (5735 & 5736) were fitted with it, the first two 4-6-0s to be so fitted. 18 of the Patriots were also fitted with it, these rebuildings continuing spasmodically until the mid-1950s. The rest of the Jubilees kept their smaller, Type 3 boilers (various detail differences) to the end, as did the original Patriots their parallel boilers.

The ex-LMS 3-cyl 4-6-0s thus fell into two power classifications: those fitted with the 2A boiler were 6Ps (7Ps in BR days); all but two of the Jubilees and the original Patriots were 5XPs (6P in BR days). It was these two classifications which were of rather more importance to the operating department.

David Jenkinson was rather fond of 6170 and had models of it in both 4mm and 7mm scale.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Scots are rather like Castles, with one less cylinder of course, in their capabilities. Versatile and powerful. Pity I saw so few of them (the Scots that is) when they were in the real world.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

6170 has been modelled by 92220 here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65335-motive-power-for-camden-shed/page-8&do=findComment&comment=2387601

Iain's not entirely happy with the smokebox dimensions as I recall but it looks the part.

I preferred it in its initial guise, with the raked steampipes.

Indeed, while I really enjoyed what was a fairly major operation to make it, I’m not completely happy with it. Now I can build Comet frames that run better, I’ll have another go at some point, getting the smoke box and top feed pipes correct.

post-10140-0-06359900-1513118209_thumb.jpeg

post-10140-0-88716200-1513118251_thumb.jpeg

If it’s any good, I’m hoping it might get a guest run out on the early 60’s version.

Iain

• Like 12

If it’s any good, I’m hoping it might get a guest run out on the early 60’s version.

Iain

Pleasure will be all mine - bring it as it is, looks not half bad in its existing guise. I can correct the lean of the eccentric crank, if you like.