Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

Look forward to the video in due course. Hint hint.

Several folks were kind enough to post videos on Youtube of the layout operating whilst at Warley.

This one is probably the best (but not if you like diesels as he stoically filmed steam only!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiXAfSzy44A

(our sequence starts at 34:08. Apologies for the attack of the gremlins at the summit!)

There is, I understand, a small video on the Model Rail site (Chris Nervard did a bit of videoing whilst he was here) but you might have to be a subscriber?

That's all I can offer for now. But a comprehensive video in due course would be nice, certainly.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Reading off a computer screen does my head in some days and so to save me plowing through the pages, I would like to know which track has been used please.  The rail section looks very fine. For some reason, I always thought LNER4479 used Peco Code 100 in foam, but I must have mistaken the user-name for another. An excellent layout all round.

• RMweb Gold

Reading off a computer screen does my head in some days and so to save me plowing through the pages, I would like to know which track has been used please.  The rail section looks very fine. For some reason, I always thought LNER4479 used Peco Code 100 in foam, but I must have mistaken the user-name for another. An excellent layout all round.

He does on Grantham. But I think Shap is Code 75.

Well, it is indeed 'out'.

attachicon.gifModel Rail front cover.jpg

Picked up a copy this morning and thoroughly enjoyed the read and the presentation. I can say that because, in this case, it wasn't me wot wrote it! Richard Foster came along with Chris Nervard on the shoot and, despite me leaping about all over the place, he patiently asked his questions and recorded the answers on a variety of aspects of the layout and its background and has turned this into the article that accompanies the photos. I think he has done a splendid job of this and am delighted at the result, which portrays not only my efforts but those of the Shap team that so readily contributed.

Definitely worth buying a copy if the layout floats yer boat. :read:

Superb article and excellent photography. Really shows the best of the layout.

Tom

Larry

Code 75. Concrete sleepered up the bank.  A little bit of the new PECO bullhead track is at the top of the Bank in one of the sidings.

Thanks Baz.

It threw me because the track looks like ultra finescale. Your track is food for thought right now I can tell you.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Thanks Baz.

It threw me because the track looks like ultra finescale. Your track is food for thought right now I can tell you.

Hi Coach,

Yes, just to confirm - I used Peco Code 75 on Shap; partly because I came into possession of a quantity of Code 75 concrete track (which I wouldn't normally have considered but was actually correct for the time period being depicted on Shap 1967 as the route was being upgraded in preparation for full electrification) but also because I was keen to try it in terms of exhibition robustness. Only time will tell re the latter aspect...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm!! I'd worry about that poor ol' front pony truck - that's an awful lot of locomotive behind it to persuade not to keep carrying on in a straight line every time a curve is encountered (which is quite often in the northern fells). A mechanical stoker would also be a 'must', methinks, to prevent leaving a trail of dead firemen in its wake.

Now, were it a 4-8-4, then you'd be in business... :locomotive:

(Apparently, there was some serious thought given to a 4-6-4 Duchess with a 70ft grate and 300psi boiler - but the war put pay to such notions. I suspect it would have been a bit touchy on its feet, though!)

Edited by LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

Not sure why you would build such large locos? New infrastructure required, would they be faster than a Duchess? How would the civil engineer see them?

Just have more Duchesses, Lizzie, rebuilt Scots, Jubilees and, of course, Black 5s.......lovely!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

(the visit including running round his tighter two foot radius curves - no difficulties experienced).

If, with your, in relative terms, reasonably simplistic modifications you can achieve that, it makes you wonder why Hornby could not do something similar?

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

If, with your, in relative terms, reasonably simplistic modifications you can achieve that, it makes you wonder why Hornby could not do something similar?

Mike.

Because the Hornby model is intended to be able to run round Radius 2 (438 mm) curves without modification.

We should, I think, be thankful that modern Hornby locos are no longer expected to be able to run round Radius 1 (371 mm) curves

Edited by St Enodoc

I also think we should put the Hornby model into the context of the times (1990s). Prior to that, there was only the Triang Princess!! Otherwise, it was a kit or scratchbuild if you wanted one.

For it's day it was a good model, dimensionally accurate in overall terms. And with correct rivetted tender versus the welded one for the Duchess.

But it's fallen behind now. You watch - Hornby will announce a brand new tooling now I've gone and hacked this one about

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

This popped up on my desktop this morning. You might find something of interest in there.

Hi Jonathan

The caption says it is a freight train, it appears to be carrying class headcode and mostly formed of parcels stock. I believe some parcels trains were permitted to carry class one headcodes. Edit, on making the photo bigger I can see the central lamp and what I thought was a lamp was the OLE warning flash. It is a parcels train. The two tank wagons are milk tanks. The lead LMS van looks like it was built new with vacuum brake gear, the brake handle looks like a short LMS one also for the period it retains its roof ventilators and has not received the diagonal strapping which many did in the BR period. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore