Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

Delighted to have seen this in action today at Peterborough, and had a chat with some of the operators.

A real victory for British tradition that the layout is worked on DC to a considerable extent with a pair of H & M Duettes, something I hadn't realised, and very well they do!

I was also struck by how convincing the layout is in portraying the section of line involved, despite the inevitable compression. Having been up there a few weeks back, albeit to photograph the current scene, it really is all there.

John.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Have to echo the above post. Throughly enjoyed Shap today at Peterborough, returning several times to witness the variety of trains slog up and down the gradient. Even the F*ll managed to behave in prototypical fashion.

Good to chat with @Barry O @LMS29 and Paul and with @AY Mod who was grabbing some lineside footage.

Having just watched the Strictly semi-final, all I can say now is "Keeeep banking!"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JamieR4489 said:

Really enjoyed myself being a Shap signalman today.

My mum managed to get a couple of snaps.

7D0F8D09-7F68-4929-A774-94488C81916D.jpeg.0312821218e2020b5f4062ccf041b65b.jpeg

I even got to meet some TV stars!

637DDB2B-367B-421F-ABCC-DA436DD42DD5.jpeg.b825b07a1c863cf6309c4586cb79c952.jpeg

Now, I wonder where the big red button with ‘do not push’ is...

Jamie

Jamie,

Glad you enjoyed working Shap and we enjoyed having your help. Thanks to your mum for taking the photos.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

It was great to see SoS yesterday and stand and watch the banking operation which was very slick.  There was a little boy standing next to me with his father who was explaining what was happening and why and the little lad soon took over and was explaining to his dad what was going to happen next. The future is in safe hands. 

Also great to see was Barry during a lull in proceedings doing a little jig. It was a bit Tai Chi meets Riverdance and sadly Andy York had moved on at that point ...........

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Agreed. Easily my favourite layout at the show. I stayed for a full sequence.... and then a bit longer for a second view of the full Mark 1 kitchen car which looked great. I have one of those in my roundtuit pile! I loved the idea of showing three time periods.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

Agreed. Easily my favourite layout at the show. I stayed for a full sequence.... and then a bit longer for a second view of the full Mark 1 kitchen car which looked great. I have one of those in my roundtuit pile! I loved the idea of showing three time periods.

Hi Andy

I also enjoyed seeing it, once I found it amongst all the box shifters.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Very good Andy puts my photos to shame...

The Fell was fine on Sunday after a few threats(!).. A Judith Edge Kit built and painted by Nichtoix

943639477_fellonshap.JPG.73418da6dfe14c3dfef128ce658fe450.JPG

and then DP1 appeared.. (Dapol/Lima by me(!))

1584964073_Delticonshap.JPG.fdf574a35a3c35e9bd6c85a88f1902b6.JPG

and, on the way home we stopped for an American Burger so LNER4479 celebrated the weekend as Elvis

q647531094_LNER4479inElvismode.JPG.3917ef308fe42d3a140383bd2376998c.JPG

Baz

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 10

Just now, AY Mod said:

Shap_BW.jpg

That's better; normal service resumed.

Wow that's superb thanks for posting it AY. As with a lot of the formations on Shap, this is based on a real photograph, it is titled Maiden Lane perishable goods. A particular favourite of mine since the majority of stock is mine. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, apbolton said:

Wow that's superb thanks for posting it AY. As with a lot of the formations on Shap, this is based on a real photograph, it is titled Maiden Lane perishable goods. A particular favourite of mine since the majority of stock is mine. 

But such a sad sight of a superb engine reduced to hauling freight.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, apbolton said:

But wasn't the second shock van in that particular train an ex LMS one?  :jester:

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Grahame

The Replica powered chassis are very good, I have them under quite a few EMUs. One problem I find with multiple units where I have two or even three powered coaches if the lead one stalls the rear one can try to concertina the coaches in between them and I am then having to rerail stuff. This doesn't happen very often but is annoying if it does. The closer the motor coaches are the more likely the rear one will give the front one a shove not scatter coaches all over the place.

With my experience of multiple powered trains and had I known your intention of buy a Replica chassis when I saw you at Peterborough I would have suggested a long underframe one under the leading coach.   Hopefully the BG at the back will aid the loco hauling the train not try and push it and the train up the hill.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Inevitably, there's a post-Peterborough; pre-Glasgow list of things to be getting on with.

High on my list is to 'sort' the 1950s Royal Scot set. 'But what's wrong with it?', I hear you ask ... (anybody?) Well, I'll tell you - none of the designated RTR Duchesses will drag it up the hill! Unfortunately, my blue, sloping smokebox 46224 has turned out to be a bit of a 'dud'. As if to highlight the vagaries of RTR mechanism, my red 46248 makes a much better fist of it ... but that's in 1964 condition so completely out of era.

HOWEVER ... help is at hand.

DSC09281.JPG.24582bfdc04fbb2bc7979ff1552f212a.JPG

Not what you expected? At Peterborough, Barry-O spotted these powered coach chassis on the Replica Railways stand - so I nipped round and picked one up for myself. The BG is the last vehicle in the train heading up the hill so it'll effectively be acting as a banker. Bit of a cheat but 'needs must' (quicker than the more elegant solution of kit building a DJH equivalent). The BG is here already having had irretrievable alterations made to its undersides.

DSC09288.JPG.179bf728a360caf988c3cfd20411e199.JPG

With a bit more filing of the Replica diecast chassis, the Bachmann underframe is made to fit. Side frames purloined from a redundant Lima MkI have been prepared ready for fitment.

DSC09289.JPG.45826b9f8337fab81004b66302f34660.JPG

And there we are. Subterfuge complete. Have to wait till Glasgow to try it out mind.

Meanwhile, deep in the darkest recesses of the chapel, something is stirring...

DSC09298.JPG.db685481eaa2a34cf987d466f3829f9f.JPG

Looks like bit of a big job broke out? With a new decade just around the corner, standby for a landmark posting on 1st Jan. I'll keep you in suspenders until then:secret_mini:

Come on, let's see a video of the train moving with no loco attached...

Merry Christmas Graham and all the best to all the Grantham/Shap mob.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

It will be fine..the two I bought can move my modern shrapnel kit Trans Pennine unit up the bank on Barnbow....

The one on Shap will provide the oomph to get the train up the hill no problemo!

Baz

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1