Class 28 workings late in their lives

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

It might have been posted on here before but I'm trying to find out what the local workings of the Met Vic Class 28 Co-Bo's were towards the end of their working lives whilst allocated at Barrow.  I've seen loads of pictures of them working local trains in the Cumbrian area, on shed at Carnforth and Carlisle depots but how far did they travel?

Apart from the Barrow/Carnforth/Carlisle triangle, did they work as far as Leeds, Manchester and over the Settle & Carlisle on a regular basis?

• RMweb Gold

It all depends on the Divers  route and traction knowledge at the depots concerned!

Mark Saunders

I'm assuming that includes the drivers as well  :onthequiet:  :onthequiet:  :onthequiet:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

As Carlisle men knew them I'm surprised I've never seen pictures of them at Newcastle or Tyne yard

Probably because Newcastle men didn't and if it failed and the Carlisle crew returned without it, it would be effectively stranded until another Carlisle crew turned up.

• RMweb Gold

Newcastle and Tyne men didn't know 26s and 27s but that didn't stop Carlisle and Scots men bringing them in

True but they were probably more reliable  :D  :D  :D

From memory, they regularly worked the 9.50am Manchester Victoria to Workington (Main) via Barrow-in-Furness. In the up direction they worked the 1.03pm from Workington (Main) to Manchester Victoria and the 3.12 pm to Liverpool Exchange. It was not unknown for them to not complete the booked diagram.

On a Railrover ticket in what must have been 1965, several friends and muself decided to get the 9.50am ex--Manchester (Vic) from Preston, all the way to Workington. The plan was to 'do' 12D then catch the return working back in order to get some mileage behind the MetroVicks. All went to plan until Carnforth on the outward journey when the station stop was prolonged. We walked to the front of the train to discover water pouring from the loco's engine compartment. It was removed from the train and replaced by Black 5 No. 45258, which hauled us all the way to Workington, and then back all the way to Preston. Oh, and we even saw it being serviced on Workington shed when we were bunking it.

Edited by Leander
  • Like 5

• 2 years later...
On 27/11/2017 at 21:06, jools1959 said:

Probably because Newcastle men didn't and if it failed and the Carlisle crew returned without it, it would be effectively stranded until another Carlisle crew turned up.

On 27/11/2017 at 21:25, russ p said:

Newcastle and Tyne men didn't know 26s and 27s but that didn't stop Carlisle and Scots men bringing them in

Or stop us from taking 31s to Edinburgh...

especially if booked back passenger...

we'd 'have' to bring it back with us light engine

..making it a nice Mileage bonus job!

That reminds me of my one turn on a 27

Route conducting a Carlisle man from the Central to Heaton C S and back

• Like 2

The only occasion I saw a CoBo at work was at Carnforth in July 1968, the CoBo was hauling a train of  2 axle oil tankers

This image from Flick  is a similar working

5701 at Grange over Sands with an oil train

Edited by Pandora
  • Like 8

On 27/11/2017 at 23:56, Leander said:

There are plenty of photos here (http://cumbrianrailways.zenfolio.com/p34310085) to give a flavour of what they got up to during their time in the north west.

One of the images in the zenfolio gallery has a Clayton class 17 D8528  in the distance. I can recall seeing Claytons at 10A Carnforth depot in 1968,  extending the subject of the  post, what was the role of the Claytons, were they intended to supplement or replace the CoBos on freight work or summer passenger work. Or was it a case of the Claytons being banished, just as the CoBos were banished to a far flung part of the network,

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stovepipe said:

Tebay used Clayton's as Shap bankers in that period - but I imagine Carnforth was their home depot.

https://cumbrianrailways.zenfolio.com/p34310085

The link leads to a portfolio   with a image of  D8512  on the Distington branch  which connect to the Workington to Rowrah mainline,  therefore quite a way from  the WCML and Tebay banking duties.

So what other workings did the Claytons share with the CoBos?

postscript:

here is an answer: 

Grange-over-Sands.  July 1968.

Edited by Pandora
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

There were 21 Claytons allocated to Kingmoor from August 1967 - all from Polmadie - and apart from Tebay banking duties, they seemed to work all manner of freight turns along the Cumbria coast, singly or doubly, no doubt ousting the last steam workings as the year progressed.

After about a year the Carlisle batch were moved to Preston division and then into storage after 4 months, with some being later reinstated at Polamdie and Haymarket for another 2-3 years of service. So it seem they were tolerated for a short period and then disposed of as soon as possible.

This photo of a Clayton actually banking at Tebay has just come to light - the first I've seen.

49723740486_c8c425b9f9_o.jpgD436 and D8501 by sirbrianrobertson, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 14/05/2020 at 21:26, Pandora said:

The only occasion I saw a CoBo at work was at Carnforth in July 1968, the CoBo was hauling a train of  2 axle oil tankers

This image from Flick  is a similar working

5701 at Grange over Sands with an oil train

I wonder if that was the same train that appeared in the famous Grange Over Sands photo.

Edited by Baby Deltic
  • Like 1