Slide Chairs for Turnouts

Mark Laidlay

Mark

I googled the 3mm Society and they do do plastic chairs for track building

https://sites.google.com/site/3mmpublic/getting-started-in-3mm-scale/what-track-is-available

Society also supplies plastic chairs for Code 60 rail, mainly for constructing  finescale pointwork in any gauge. The chairs are designed to be glued to either ply timbers and sleepers (provided by the Society), or plastic ones cut from Plastruct or Evergreen strip. You could also use these chairs to construct plain Fine track in 12mm gauge, or indeed other gauges such as Irish 15.75mm gauge, for which bases don't yet exist. You could even use them to construct track to Intermediate standards in 12mm scale (of finer appearance than the Code 80 rail and Ratio bases), but only if you use the Society's modern Intermediate standard wheels; older Intermediate wheels have flanges which are too deep.

No idea what they are like, cost or availability

Edited by hayfield

• RMweb Premium

Here's a pic of one of the chair sprues:

post-26119-0-65289900-1511912850.jpg

Here's a point being constructed, with plastruct 1mm thick strip used for the point timbers:

post-26119-0-83781400-1511912876.jpg

Here's the bit of track, with plastic plain track bases used for the plain track, under test:

post-26119-0-78753700-1511912947.jpg

Edited by NCB

Thanks for the help, I've decided to get them cast in whitemetal in Australia.  this is because:

.  I am using FB rail so don't need standard chairs;

.  I want soldered construction;

.  I am actually working in 3.5mm scale.

So it looks more practical to get them made here.

Mark in Melbourne