Heljan Class 37/4 announcement

TEDDYBEAR D9521

From the CAD on Tower's website it looks like the model will have the correct bufferbeam profile, not the compromise it has been in the past using black paint. Progress! Will be in the market for a LLB one myself.

Jeff

37409 at Eastfield 15.08.1986

post-12187-0-34971500-1512032639_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Just been sent the Hattons email with their painted samples.

is the bottom body side cab step to big as the yellow cuts through it rather than being flush with the edge?

The headcode box looks massive and they have painted the whole headcode box black rather than just the plate that replaced the glass.

The black ontop of the nose and cab windows should be Matt to prevent reflections.

Disappointing after the 45 and 25/3.

5B038F82-D361-4648-8267-88CCC40BCCC6.jpeg

BDE7383D-540B-46CC-8652-A642F0183A8A.jpeg

83AB26E4-5939-4384-9220-3A78D7B1572A.jpeg

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, deltic17 said:

That is crazy to get the black headcode so wrong on 37408!!

Do they not look at pictures of the original?? - surely that should be the starting point.

The mind of a Heljan designer is like the mind of my wife, who can tell what she will do next but one thing is certain it always costs me money!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/04/2019 at 11:27, deltic17 said:

Do they not look at pictures of the original?? - surely that should be the starting point.

On 10/04/2019 at 04:41, birdseyecircus said:

The email Hattons newsletter says they are aware of the headcode livery. 

Paul

As Paul says, they are aware and are changing the head code issue. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest teacupteacup
On 11/04/2019 at 00:27, deltic17 said:

The headcode is the least of the worries, the bodyside windows are too low on the bodysides - possibly the grilles too

On 28/04/2019 at 05:58, teacupteacup said:

The headcode is the least of the worries, the bodyside windows are too low on the bodysides - possibly the grilles too

They are, because the roof panel is too wide forcing everything down the sides.

this was raised when they announced it, but they decided to keep it the same as previous models so it looks the same, unlike Bachmann who made continuous improvements with their OO 37's

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I see these are arriving shortly.

Does anyway produce the 'slightly thinner' number transfers for these large logo 37/4's?

The reason I ask this is, if I recall correctly, the numbers on these were in a slightly thinner format than normal large logo numbers as used say on 47/4's.

The Hattons 37401 & 408 numbers look perfect but if you want to renumber one....??

Has anybody got any thoughts re the slightly different font that I think was used when they were outshopped from Crewe Works?

On 13/06/2019 at 21:37, deltic17 said:

I see these are arriving shortly.

Does anyway produce the 'slightly thinner' number transfers for these large logo 37/4's?

The reason I ask this is, if I recall correctly, the numbers on these were in a slightly thinner format than normal large logo numbers as used say on 47/4's.

The Hattons 37401 & 408 numbers look perfect but if you want to renumber one....??

Has anybody got any thoughts re the slightly different font that I think was used when they were outshopped from Crewe Works?

The first ones were all slightly different as they were hand painted. Take a look through the Railtec website, I'm pretty sure Steve did the full size ones for the DRS re-paints. 

Al.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, D6775 said:

The first ones were all slightly different as they were hand painted. Take a look through the Railtec website, I'm pretty sure Steve did the full size ones for the DRS re-paints. 

Al.

I did, yes. I have a photo somewhere of the vinyls for 37403 on my kitchen table. I do all the hand-painted variants in model form, traced from the originals.

• Informative/Useful 1

Picked mine up in Hattons this morning, worked on it this afternoon. Took me ages to fit the pipes to the bufferbeams, very fiddly, but the snowploughs just plug in to some brackets, much easier than any previous Heljan locos. No crew fitted yet as the body looks like being very hard to remove, I couldn't shift the fixing screws.

Jeff

DSCF0040.JPG

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 22/06/2019 at 16:40, 84B Oxley said:

No crew fitted yet as the body looks like being very hard to remove, I couldn't shift the fixing screws.

Jeff

Your not kidding about the screws. 

Managed to get 3 out. The 4th rounded off so I drilled it out.

However getting the body off is something else! It seems really tight on the nose corner there is movement along the body.

Mine looks like this.  Any suggestions?

Paul

527201993441.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2019 at 04:13, Owd Bob said:

I was up early in the warm weather this morn' and got mine air brushed and dullcoted. Deffo not a model for the rivet counters but i'm very happy with mine.:)

2019-06-27_09_02_28.jpg

2019-06-27_09_02_41.jpg

Well played sir, well played !

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...