EMG Railfreight terminal at Castle Donnington

Isn’t that a different terminal? The class 56s are at the M&S terminal I believe. I could and probably are confused though.

East Midlands Gateway being the brand new facility under construction at East midlands airport and which will replicate DIRFT for size.

http://www.roxhill.co.uk/portfolio/kegworth/

Last time I went past it was still just a muddy worksite, no track etc started.

Edited by black and decker boy

I confess that when I saw 'Donnington', I thought of the place near Wellington where a terminal was built that seems to have seen very little traffic. It was only later that I realised that the one being talked about was that at Castle Donington, where the A50 joins the M1. 

I believe it's mainly intended to handle non-food lines for M&S. Presumably, it will deal in receiving containers from Southampton/ Felixstowe, unloading and warehousing the contents, then probably forwarding by road.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

There is some news at last.  I've just seen a copy of the June Railway Magazine,  On Page 90 there is a report with a couple of photos of the terminal.   One is of the new junction on the line from Sheet Stores Junction to Stenson Junction.   The other is of the start of track laying in the terminal sidings.   It doesn't say of the whole line has been laid.   It's good to see some progress.

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Drove past yesterday. There are signs for the EMG Rail terminal as you approach Junction 23A from the south. Coming out of Donnington  services headed north I got a good view of a terminal that us obviously in use with plenty if containers near the tracks but no trains.  Rail magazine now informs me that it's open with at least 3 services running to it.

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 2

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, johnw1 said:

I love that first shot. The MR article mentions the sinuous  approach. That shot shows it up well.

Jamie

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The article is very good. They obviously want to keep with reach stackers rather than gantry cranes. Also apparently  there us room for another two tracks on the east side plus another loading/unloading pad leaving the run round road in the centre. 

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 1

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

When I started this thread 4 years ago the terminal was a sea of mud. 2 days ago I drove past it on my first trip back to the UK for nearly 2 years. We stopped at Donnington on the way from the ferry and as we set off north it was great to see a train in the terminal and lots of containers around.   It certainly seems to be well used.   Nice to see progress.

Jamie

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

When I started this thread 4 years ago the terminal was a sea of mud. 2 days ago I drove past it on my first trip back to the UK for nearly 2 years. We stopped at Donnington on the way from the ferry and as we set off north it was great to see a train in the terminal and lots of containers around.   It certainly seems to be well used.   Nice to see progress.

Jamie

It's worth keeping an eye on ' Big Jim', who posts on here every day, as he works regularly to the terminal. I believe his fitness programme involves running a circuit of the terminal whilst his train is being loaded....

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1