West Somerset WebCams

woodenhead

Double header to Bishops Lydeard, looks like the stock move, the steam engine for the services plus the Manor for the enginemen experiences.

image.png.0f5b059b84bf073aec7bb60a362166a7.png

Blue Anchor, thought Minehead to Watchett was closed to traffic until mid April but they're managing stock moves.

image.png.85e333b5bcf44dc7350f7d944c3a67b1.png

and Williton

image.png.536c42d5bac8ad4986bddc7c37a495ec.png

Edited by woodenhead
  • Informative/Useful 1

Over the past few weeks, there have been ominous comments concerning the WSR, the latest H.R. headline "back from the brink" is an example.  So what actually is so bad?  It has accepted a lot of trains over the years from the big railway and they are usually particular where they run their trains, but all of a sudden a three month shut down.  The WSR always seemed a well run business but we are not usually privy to what goes on behind the scenes.

Brian.

3 hours ago, brianusa said:

Over the past few weeks, there have been ominous comments concerning the WSR, the latest H.R. headline "back from the brink" is an example.  So what actually is so bad?  It has accepted a lot of trains over the years from the big railway and they are usually particular where they run their trains, but all of a sudden a three month shut down.  The WSR always seemed a well run business but we are not usually privy to what goes on behind the scenes.

Brian.

A bit OT, but if you look on HR's website home page, then scroll down about two-thirds to the "Check Out Heritage Railway" banner, you can read on Pp6-8 a very open account of what happened and what the WSR is doing about it.  Very refreshing to see such transparency.

Or just use this link: https://e.issuu.com/embed.html#7600234/68249350

• Informative/Useful 1

This summer they were to host a Peak on the railway, the civil engineering side and ORR have advised it cannot visit, no full reason given but it sounds like somewhere there is a restriction on something the weight of a 1co-co1.

there does appear to be a financial issue on the WSR, a lot of reports of meetings of the PLC board on the unofficial site and a recent cash request.

it goes to show that running a preserved railway is not all plain sailing, if this is one of the premier lines imagine how hard it is for the lesser lines all chasing the same goals.

17 minutes ago, Platform 1 said:

A bit OT, but if you look on HR's website home page, then scroll down about two-thirds to the "Check Out Heritage Railway" banner, you can read on Pp6-8 a very open account of what happened and what the WSR is doing about it.  Very refreshing to see such transparency.

Or just use this link: https://e.issuu.com/embed.html#7600234/68249350

Bl@@dy hell!!

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, brianusa said:

Brian.

They had an ORR inspection which, apparently, found fault with some of the trackwork and some lack of training of some of the staff.

The WSR really should be one of our best tourism/heritage lines. Worrying that it seems to be in some difficulty despite some good initiatives taken in recent years.

7 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

They had an ORR inspection which, apparently, found fault with some of the trackwork and some lack of training of some of the staff.

The WSR really should be one of our best tourism/heritage lines. Worrying that it seems to be in some difficulty despite some good initiatives taken in recent years.

Have you read the article listed above, it goes deeper than some trackwork - it's not just a WSR thing though with the ORR - they are having discussions will all preserved lines about 2019 regulations but with the WSR it is coupled with a decline in standards due to poor leadership.

Makes you wonder how the other lines are doing.

One part refers to the decay on Mark 1 coaches and what they are doing to be able to check on this and maintain standards - crash worthiness & rot come into the equation.  As Mark 1s are the mainstay of many lines they will probably have the same issues to face, heritage railways are only going to get more expensive to maintain.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Have you read the article listed above, it goes deeper than some trackwork - it's not just a WSR thing though with the ORR - they are having discussions will all preserved lines about 2019 regulations but with the WSR it is coupled with a decline in standards due to poor leadership.

Makes you wonder how the other lines are doing.

One part refers to the decay on Mark 1 coaches and what they are doing to be able to check on this and maintain standards - crash worthiness & rot come into the equation.  As Mark 1s are the mainstay of many lines they will probably have the same issues to face, heritage railways are only going to get more expensive to maintain.

Interestingly, I wrote on RMWeb about the shabby state of the WSR Mk1s after I visited in early June. Perhaps worse than I thought.

After all, they are 60 - 70 years old now. Time perhaps to use some more modern stock "back dated" to suit haulage behind steam.

19 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Interestingly, I wrote on RMWeb about the shabby state of the WSR Mk1s after I visited in early June. Perhaps worse than I thought.

After all, they are 60 - 70 years old now. Time perhaps to use some more modern stock "back dated" to suit haulage behind steam.

I remember articles about how quickly Mk111 stock deteriorates once out of use and not maintained.

Mark 2a/b/c are the only non air conditioned options and apart from what already exists with preservation groups and perhaps some TOCS like WCRC there aren't lots to be had.  

Maybe the next step will be for the various groups to come together to have a new build of coaches for preserved lines/mainline use suited to steam/heritage diesel haulage.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

Maybe the next step will be for the various groups to come together to have a new build of coaches for preserved lines/mainline use suited to steam/heritage diesel haulage.

That's what I meant. May be a bit difficult coming up with a design that suits everyone but that looks like the best option.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

There's nothing wrong with Mark Ones. If there was do you think they would still be allowed to be used on the mainline? If you watch the programme about restoring carriages with Peter Snow that was on Channel Four then it explained about the crash worthiness of MK1s. They're fine. I doubt Tyseley would have spent a huge amount of money restoring the Pullman otherwise.

I think railways like the Bluebell and Isle Of Wight have bigger problems with all that wooden stock. If the woodworm stop holding hands the carriages fall apart. :P

I think it's just a problem with maintenance that has set in on the WSR and others for quite a few years. Many other railways don't seem to have a problem. Think of it as a warning to get your act together rather than anything drastic.

Jason

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

There's nothing wrong with Mark Ones. If there was do you think they would still be allowed to be used on the mainline? If you watch the programme about restoring carriages with Peter Snow that was on Channel Four then it explained about the crash worthiness of MK1s. They're fine. I doubt Tyseley would have spent a huge amount of money restoring the Pullman otherwise.

I think railways like the Bluebell and Isle Of Wight have bigger problems with all that wooden stock. If the woodworm stop holding hands the carriages fall apart. :P

I think it's just a problem with maintenance that has set in on the WSR and others for quite a few years. Many other railways don't seem to have a problem. Think of it as a warning to get your act together rather than anything drastic.

Jason

But those managed for mainline use will have been subject to full ORR regulations/scrutiny for years and will have been maintained at a higher standard.

The problem with the preserved lines will be any gaps in care and attention letting the rot get in and not having the funds to adequately bring all the coaches back to standard creating a downward spiral in terms of available stock.

Wooden stock is a whole other ballgame.

I think the WSR is just being more transparent, as JP said, the Dart Valley had the floorless toilet incident, who knows what else is going on.

• RMweb Gold

I read somewhere that the NYMR teaks need less general maintenance than the Mk1s. Overhauls is another matter of course.

Makes interesting reading, that article. Sounds like they are taking it as they should - as a damned big wake-up call. Good luck to them :)

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, locoholic said:

It would appear that the WSR will be mainly operated by pannier tanks for the foreseeable future. I thought they had been judged too small and slow for the line? Can we look forward to shorter and more crowded trains this year?

They've two at present with a third coming for the 40th anniversay celebrations in June.

I don't think they are the only traction being used, there is an ORR mandated weight restriction at the moment which means no 1-co-co-1 locos, no 47s and no 50s for the diesel event, but they are still running tender steam locos and lower weight diesels.

Here is the roster for this weekend

image.png.6cffb313a5f7f0524258881d5fe744e2.png

Just been looking at Blue Anchor - full line reopening is timetabled for tomorrow but the stop boards are still up, I hope they are still on schedule it's a special event this weekend.

13:44 Edit: update on the unofficial website refers to a vintage bus going round Minehead (not to/from Watchett) so they must be on schedule to re-open the line tomorrow.

image.png.208d31e41b7e962cbe82599258128ace.png

Edited by woodenhead
more content

Stop signs gone, signalman in the box and some people sat on a bench.

I wonder if there is a special due through this evening  They are testing the points this evening.

image.png.9145cc7f3a4fc8065037bf99f35e5f3e.png

Test Train, it's going back and forth (sometimes out of sight) to test the new point.

image.png.4acf3e97b3b00a9c900fd5516d68c31d.png

T'other end

image.png.0cf1c69264ff6a1f10b684c09faf37a6.png

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 2