West Somerset WebCams

woodenhead

Think it is being held due to problems entering Minehead - the signalman was chatting before, heard Minehead & cars but couldn't make the rest out as the loco was blowing off a bit.

Edit: there do appear to be traffic problems in Minehead within the vicinity of the crossing, perhaps without a formal crossing order this makes it more difficult to cross into the station.

Edited by woodenhead

1 minute ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I'm curious as to why the WSR - with a turntable at Minehead and a triangle at Norton - doesn't turn engines so they are facing forwards.  Reverse working - especially tender engines - just looks so wrong.

Time?

But I think they are just stock movements. Notice the DMU in the formation above.

48 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I'm curious as to why the WSR - with a turntable at Minehead and a triangle at Norton - doesn't turn engines so they are facing forwards.  Reverse working - especially tender engines - just looks so wrong.

Norton is not near to Bishops Lydeard and trains mostly terminate there, so it would be additional accumulated mileage just to turn a loco on each service.

Having a turntable at Minehead allows them to turn a loco when required, for example a mainline visitor before it returns to it's destination (if it ran up from Bishops L, if not it would be turned at Norton).

7 hours ago, Platform 1 said:

Giant bee buzzed Crowcombe Heathfield...

image.png.0029c0b248c9887f7802cf904ef55dee.png

:o

CH must be one of the most idyllic stations anywhere with a few little houses close by.  Station and environs look well maintained and a credit to the staff.  Rupert Bear or Bill Badger wouldn't look out of place, or maybe Pooh searching for honey from the beehive.:good_mini:

Brian.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

It'll be the "wrong" way round when coming back though....

*ducks*

:prankster:

Can't get used to the shininess. Anyone got any black? 

it doesn't have to be!  

:)

WSR is possibly the only preserved line that actually could run all its steamers right way round for every trip...

1 hour ago, Welchester said:

Crowcombe Heathfield seems to be having a plague of flying insects at the moment. Has a swarm of bees settled by the camera?

It's the new  WSR Video Game, if you manage to delete as many as you can using your mouse when they hit the screen the highest score wins a day out on the railway :jester:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/07/2021 at 16:41, Steamport Southport said:

Time?

But I think they are just stock movements. Notice the DMU in the formation above.

good practice not to turn too often to make sure wear on wheelset profiles and flanges is kept to a minimum, not turning the locomotive evens the wear out and maintains the profile for longer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 14/08/2021 at 18:08, Steamport Southport said:

Bahamas is about again. Here's the train behind the Manor (possibly two)

2021-08-14.png.baaabcd5b68beec6da9255388642db2a.png

There were indeed two Manors:

By a lucky coincidence, I was in the area that day, so I went along to Bishops Lydeard to see the train arrive and watch the Manors replace the Jubilee at the front of the train. This is Part One of a two part video that I shot whilst there; Part Two will follow in due course.

TTFN,

Ron.

Edited by 45669
  • Like 1