West Somerset WebCams

woodenhead

Interesting operation today at Blue Anchor - wrong line working and the signal was not cleared for the right away.

The signalbox is manned as they were operating the gates, camera angle did not allow a visible view of the signalman allowing the train to begin movement.  I presume the signal is interlocked with the next point as well as the gates so with the point against the move it would not allow the signal to be cleared.

post-165-0-57624000-1545570688_thumb.png

post-165-0-06355400-1545570706_thumb.png

There is an explanation on the site regarding the Willton South facing camera, a resident has concerns as they can be seen passing on it so it is now only accessible to the WSR for the time being, the North facing cam is back though.  They were wrong line working here too as a train just departed in the same manner as at Blue Anchor.  Didn't capture the image as the train was only partially visible.

post-165-0-61585600-1545570972_thumb.png

I wonder why they are operating like this today?

Edit: on quieter days Crowcombe Heathfield box is locked out but today it is the passing point and correct line working in place:

post-165-0-64411300-1545572873_thumb.png

post-165-0-87397100-1545572888_thumb.png

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Interesting operation today at Blue Anchor - wrong line working and the signal was not cleared for the right away.

The signalbox is manned as they were operating the gates, camera angle did not allow a visible view of the signalman allowing the train to begin movement.  I presume the signal is interlocked with the next point as well as the gates so with the point against the move it would not allow the signal to be cleared.

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

attachicon.gifCapture1.PNG

There is an explanation on the site regarding the Willton South facing camera, a resident has concerns as they can be seen passing on it so it is now only accessible to the WSR for the time being, the North facing cam is back though.  They were wrong line working here too as a train just departed in the same manner as at Blue Anchor.  Didn't capture the image as the train was only partially visible.

attachicon.gifCapture2.PNG

I wonder why they are operating like this today?

Edit: on quieter days Crowcombe Heathfield box is locked out but today it is the passing point and correct line working in place:

What's running today are Santa Express trains (from Bishop's Lydeard to Williton and return) and Santa Specials (from Minehead to Blue Anchor and return). I saw the train you've pictured at Blue Anchor but at that time the crossing gates were closed. It subsequently reversed out of the station and I'm assuming that it simply drew back out of the "up" platform and then drew forward into the "down" platform before proceeding, but I didn't watch that long. I also assume it arrived in the up platform first, then ran round its train. 

Edited by RFS

From what I could see on the stream it departed with the signaller/Santa showing a green flag 

Nice pics above - thanks guys!

Here's an atmospheric night shot from Williton.  Have to comment that the cam angle isn't ideal there, but the recent improvements more than make up for it...

post-8174-0-63896200-1546017547_thumb.jpg

Btw, Blue Anchor seems very dark at night lately, have they cut some lights?

Edited by Platform 1
  • Like 1

Williton's camera is new, there were two - one facing south and one facing north, the south facing cam has been cut due to a complaint.

Blue Anchor is unlit once the last train has gone, it's quite bright at present though

post-165-0-59160700-1546018656_thumb.png

Edited by woodenhead
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Shunter on the move today, stabled overnight at Bishops Lydeard.

Hand signalling in play, could hear the driver conversing with the guard on a walkie talkie relaying that he had the token, the signal was to be passed at danger, the gates were open and the signalman had a flag to let the train over the crossing, guard acknowledged and confirm he had let his brake off.

Interesting exchange

post-165-0-77145200-1547033666_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...

Blue Anchor is clear of snow, so if you want to live in the West and be in a nice spot, looks like Blue Anchor has a slightly warmer climate than Crowcombe Heathfield.

Forres in Scotland is another place that seemed to be able to avoid the snows up in the Highlands - useful when you have RAF bases there to protect the North Sea

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the pictures and the info.  Due to my location there is a very short span later in the afternoon, where there is any action to be seen.  Good to see the upgrades in the cameras too - any more to come?

Brian.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No trains still, there was a bit of light shunting yesterday at Williton including a fork lift truck pulling a maroon coach into a kickback, there is also an 08 at the far end of Bishops Lydeard.

But I have spent the morning listening to bird song and the sea at Blue Anchor

image.png.4b4c6c5be39bf8344bbd394a4c664789.png

Over at Bishops Lydeard fence replacement and tidying up ahead of the opening of the 2019 season this coming weekend

image.png.cae22a608c93346fe76f117b1299368b.png

The 08 is just visible in the distance next to the grey shed

And the peace of listening to the seagulls was just broken by this going through Williton

image.png.0135570b98d6145abd1bb0f1d40d1590.png

Interesting this didn't need to obey signals, the 33 shunting yesterday did.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 1

Ha Ha

I missed the other 33 starting up, it hasn't been used since last season, they had one for shunting and all the other diesels remained out of use.

There should be movement on the NYMR today as well whilst they move stock ready for tomorrow, but Grosmont cam is still down and it's not easy to see much on the other cam.