AFK (Altonian Complementary Railways)

ianathompson

I hold much the same views as Hexagon789 on this. I look out for the updates here, but then go to your site to view the entire operating session update. So I wouldn't miss the photos on RMWEB. On the other hand a photo free post would probably be less likely to persuade someone who was unfamiliar with AFK to visit the full operating session. Would reducing the number of photos included in your posts here help whilst still conveying what is going on in Altonia for those new to it?

• RMweb Premium

Maybe a single picture in each link would be the way forward Tommo? I usually post mine directly to here using the choose files option below. I know you are effectively cutting and pasting from your website, you can still do the words, but just upload the images here.

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Andy

The posting onto this site is not a problem.

One of the other sites that I use will not upload the photos because the file size is too large.

I have now found out how to compress the file size and post smaller photos on there.

Hopefully this should remove the need to post to a photo hosting platform.

Ian T

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Quote: "How many of you are attracted to the post by the pictures?" 

I for one appreciate the highlights from the operating sessions shown here, as my 'heritage' internet access can't cope with the full session from the website. Ok I accept that's my problem, which could be overcome by throwing money at BT and upgrading to the 21st century. In the meantime however I would be sorry to miss out altogether on the everyday story of Altonian country folk.

Alan.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The session has now finished and the last few photos are available here.

9-257.jpg.b2eb31a0688e6ebbeb389520310a7496.jpg

260. The von Ryan heads through the Lower Aepto Gorge in the darkness. This will be the last train up the vulpafaŭkangulo today. The leading wagon is the CFS van returning home with a load of grain. The incline obviously has a large influence upon AFK operations and any train climbing it is usually loaded to the maximum allowance as far as possible (see photo 71). The CFS van is travelling on what I think of as the “underground railway” in that is making an unconventional journey stopping at many places. It went from Glissent to Lacono on one train, then travelled by another to Urteno and now is in its third train for the journey to Ithilarak. It will probably complete its journey behind the schools’ railcar tomorrow, along with the two other vans left behind at Urteno. The railcar is restricted to a trailing load equivalent to two wagons up the hill, hence the need to fill out the load on the special and take this van up the bank. Note to self; clean the wagon roofs before the next session. I don’t mind the dust that accumulates; it is the finger marks that jar.

9-270.jpg.e504b02af515c81817aa72cf6fc9a833.jpg

272. The railcar arrives at Breĉo de Glissent to receive an adverse aspect from the home signal. This is showing an “orangey red” as did the early prototypes because the light is shining through the yellow and red spectacle plates as the arms are on the same spindle. A simple device was invented which moved the yellow out of the way in this situation but pulled it into place when required. The AFK engineers have no intentions of replicating such a device in 7mm scale! The train is standing here because the late running up train is running into the station and there is no run-off to allow a train in the opposite direction to safely enter.9-278.jpg.a6aa3aeaf3f0aab9aad787288a5e5e77.jpg

280. The station pilot runs into the goods yard some time later to transfer a cut of vans to a more convenient place for the down goods to collect. This is the first time that this pointwork has been used “today” and almost inevitably there were some teething problems, particularly with the crossing microswitch. These were quickly resolved. The barriers often do not drop to quite the horizontal position but this was not an uncommon feature of continental minor railway crossings and there are more pressing concerns than this.

The layout will now be closed for a while whilst more development takes place.

Ian T

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

In the time honoured manner of the AFK nothing quite happens as anticipated.

Despite suggestions that Ithilarak might see some development the bare board wilderness at Ospicio has received some unexpected attention.

78.jpg.0b857b7b5e06063a68d46116c44743b3.jpg

The pointwork at both ends of the station needed attention.

It has now been adjusted and successfully run through by the awkward squad.

Whilst this issue was being sorted out a wilderness of a different kind was created.

A backscene magically appeared. 

It shows the early Spring scene as the snow begins to melt: the Mud Season as it is apparently known in North America.

At least the stranded passengers now have something to contemplate from the warmth of their carriages.

79.jpg.a5d460879ef2d24e847725af5bc5e4d6.jpg

The Hospice is shown on the backscene, in outline only.

It might/might not receive some windows.

The first thought was to surround it with birch or spruce trees but his was discounted as the Helcaraxe is effectively a tundra region.

Licherns and mosses, along with sphagnum moss, of which I have fond memories from my walking days, are the most likely inhabitants of these areas.

The test train provided an excuse to dig out the "reserve" stock for the express.

This has not been needed for some sessions now.

It deputises for the mixto or the express should they be running extremely late.

Quite naturally they are more complete, even including roofs, than the regular stock.

The roofing of the carriages was an avowed objective for this interval.

Not one item has received attention to date!

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
typo
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

2133870969_007-Copy-Copy.JPG.894786a3bf95585055ea54f93232cbe3.JPG

This is the main photo used on the website and draws your attention to the fact that the website has just been through a revamp to make it more user friendly.

A new journey along the line has been included whic uses up to date photographs and diagrams

This can be found here.

If there are any issues, such as non working buttons please let me know and I will try to fix them.

Ian T

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium

I have not been totally idle on the modelling front whilst redoing the website.

Work continues slowly on the melting snow scene and thoughts have turned to the end of the peninsula scene once more.

Here are a couple of snaps of the proposed arrangements at Ghealdaban.

Preparing the layout sketches for the Carramassco Gorge caused me to rethink the ideas.

Time will tell whether the lower part of the scene will work.

These are the views of the upper scene as a basic mock up.

At least it will stop the area acting as a dumping ground for discarded items!

199978619_opsdecant036.jpg.4d47edba97456ac8a2ac4bb64b5df4e3.jpg

It is now envisaged that the road from the valley to the village will pass through the scene.

This was not the original inention. 

The scene lifts out to allow the Danulbo area cassette to plug in behind the backscene.

It is unlikely that there will be so much road traffic when completed.

The bridge acts as a handle and the foam board shows the extent of the removable section.

The red box is a marker for a barn and the shelter has temporarily been stolen from the Karushnastrato crossing.

1849268207_opsdecant039.jpg.59743b3b003af45e6c56c2f8afb6c587.jpg

The lower angle view includes a train testing clearances.

The car at the right waits on a steep slope but it seems to be no worse than many Swiss roads.

In typical AFK manner the train stops on the crossing and ignores road users.

Onwards and upwards!

The next job is to "do" the lower scene.

Then to complete the two station buildings off the layout at the moment.

Also to rewire all the controller sockets to provide a more robust system for the controller tethers.

Ian T

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 12/11/2021 at 14:14, ianathompson said:

A new journey along the line has been included whic uses up to date photographs and diagrams

The journey seemed much easier to follow than the old one - top marks.

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2021 at 14:14, ianathompson said:

2133870969_007-Copy-Copy.JPG.894786a3bf95585055ea54f93232cbe3.JPG

This is the main photo used on the website and draws your attention to the fact that the website has just been through a revamp to make it more user friendly.

This can be found here.

If there are any issues, such as non working buttons please let me know and I will try to fix them.

Ian T

Worked fine as far as I could tell. Much enjoyed reading the re-write, the newer photos make it 'fit' better if you follow my meaning. It was nice to see Fenditavalat fully paved - it very much looks the part now as a somewhat quirky architectured gated citadel, I think it rates as my favourite part of the system.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Finally, after much too long an interval, another session has begun.

There are only a few photos at present but they can be accessed here.

PQ8adxy.jpg

6. The Urteno goods has crossed the paper train at Glissent and now traverses the Kasatritikakamparoj. The SG vehicles are blocked in the middle of the train. It was a little difficult to put this train together. There are, in theory, 35 transporters knocking around but the truth is that only 17 have been built and two of those are currently defective. The usual procedure of putting SG wagons onto the ground was followed to rob enough to meet the needs of this train. A number of other SG wagons are in factory sidings and therefore removed from the layout, freeing up transporters. I really must build another batch. The materials are in stock, it is just finding the time to do it.

Ian T

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Despite a series of set backs the session continues.

10-20.jpg.c7155455ebd07cf222f6bbb9e9d6ee9f.jpg

20. Finally, after a long hiatus, things begin to move again. The Urteno goods passes Ghealdaban running slightly early. There are still two sockets that must be replaced to ensure that the session can continue but, having spent around two hours on a wiring job that should have taken twenty minutes, these can wait.

Hopefully things are looking up.

Ian T

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

A further set of photos has now been posted on the website

.10-31.jpg.9e9044928c4469e5e7336e191f14ed15.jpg

30. “Isuri” receives it 05.00 alarm call. The mountain communities usually rise early so this is not too much of an inconvenience, except to the students sleeping off their hangovers! The pilot has pulled two vans of blankets from the factory at the bottom of Steep Street. There might or might not be more buildings here since last time. I honestly cannot remember.10-34.jpg.cfe912bce29a2bcf4305968ba072f5f1.jpg

34. Elsewhere the schools’ railcar climbs the vulpafaŭkangulo trailing two vans. This is the maximum load that can be taken by railcar over this demanding stretch of line. The model’s mechanism, a Fleischmann Magic Train shunter, is really at the limit of its performance coping with the tail load and its own, new body.

Hope that you find them of interest.

Ian T

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Another set of pictures from the operating session is now available.

The file is now sufficiently large that it will take a little while to load up.

10-43.jpg.c3745dabd69e8f19993799520ab66f0d.jpg

43. This picture has obviously been doctored to cut out the wires dangling from level above. In all honesty I do not notice them when I operate. I spent a pleasant half hour sitting on a high buffet watching proceedings at Urteno, almost at eye level, as an enthusiast would. There was nothing dramatic, just the “crocodile” shunting wagons around the station. As has been noted, the scenery and the station could do with completion, but this doesn’t detract from my enjoyment.

10-51.jpg.dd3e7c122c617a53f028cc9144df1263.jpg

51. One of the drovers accompanies the emigrating cattle to the station at Breĉo de Glissent. There is a little less fuss than yesterday. The drovers will also not be coming back to a nice warm bed tonight as they are taking up residence in the high country shielings as part of the transhumance system.. Emmalia will have a little less on her plate today as she only needs to shepherd the drovers in one direction.

10-56.jpg.751122b511e5b9ed30eba940be8e7e0b.jpg

56. The road crossing beside the Hole in the Wall, the café (still awaiting development) in Fenditavalat square, is what I quaintly saw described, in one of my French books, as “une affaire des saints”. Despite repeated requests from the authorities the shunter emerges unannounced, except for its horn, from behind the blind corner with a wagon or two in tow. This is a source of much amusement to the regular patrons of the café. The authorities might consider erecting a warning sign but they refuse stating that it is the railway’s problem. In any case they will soon be able to harass the railway once the bonnet is removed from the shunter as summer approaches.

Ian T

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

There is a rather thin slection of photos available with this post.

I am currently undergoing a course of raiography to deal with a cancer problem.

Hopefully all should be well.

During the interim, as one friend put ir, "Your time and your body are not your own!"

Please be patient: they now take some time to load up

.10-80.jpg.9f6a48dc3a1978246ff8750d95baf96a.jpg

82. The URT-RFK train is completely dismantled at Lacono. The pilot has taken the last four vans, full of carpets, from the rear of the train into the northern holding sidings and attached them to the tinned goods. The train engine meanwhile has pulled in alongside it to deposit the KTT bound loads on the adjacent loop. Once the express has cleared the mainline the train engine will couple onto the wagons in the south loop to go forward. The pilot will leave the yard to look after the tail traffic on the express and the local behind it. The bogie wagon of cars, on the goods loop, would be turned on the turntable to face the loading dock set at a 45º angle to the loop for unloading. The old yard would have been overwhelmed by such traffic levels.

It could be a little while before there are sufficient photos to make it worthwhile posting again.

Ian T

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear that. I wish you all  the best with the treatment and hope for a successful outcome.  At least your mind can escape to Altonia in the interim.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just testing the new site to see what happens!

10-143.jpg.53d3c0fa1c1a8ca7f526285acad74e9c.jpg

The website has a couple of new posts for those interested.

At least the website, where I have posted most iof my photos, is not affected by the problems here, thankfully.

Edit: It is a big file and takes a little while to upload.

Currently don't seem able to see any photos on this website.

Is this normal?

I suppose that I need to press more buttons.

B****y technology!

IanT

Edited by ianathompson
additional info
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

42 minutes ago, ianathompson said:

Just testing the new site to see what happens!

10-143.jpg.53d3c0fa1c1a8ca7f526285acad74e9c.jpg

The website has a couple of new posts for those interested.

At least the website, where I have posted most iof my photos, is not affected by the problems here, thankfully.

Edit: It is a big file and takes a little while to upload.

Currently don't seem able to see any photos on this website.

Is this normal?

I suppose that I need to press more buttons.

B****y technology!

IanT

I understand recent events have caused all photos posted within the last year to be deleted/removed from rmweb. There is a post explaining it all accessible from the homepage.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The way I read it I thought it was just photos posted in 2020.

The photos come up as blue squares which then reduce to a  URL address.

When I open this I get an extremely small, almost invisible photo.

Never mind! At least the text is still there.

Ian T

11 minutes ago, ianathompson said:

The way I read it I thought it was just photos posted in 2020.

The photos come up as blue squares which then reduce to a  URL address.

When I open this I get an extremely small, almost invisible photo.

Never mind! At least the text is still there.

Ian T

Perhaps I misread it, I thought they meant the last 12 months as opposed to last year but as you say - the text is still present and in 90% of cases that's the important bit. I feel for people where photos are illustrating a particular technique or something of use to others where those photos have gone. 

At least your photos are still over on the AFK website, that's got to be a huge relief given the numbers of them.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, hexagon789 said:

I thought they meant the last 12 months as opposed to last year

Upon rereading the statement and looking at earlier posts you are correct.

My mistake!

Ian T

• RMweb Premium

Another update is now available.

It surprised me as to how large it was but I do not post regularly.

As usual the file takes a little while to load.

.10-144.jpg.e16875aa8a7b2c33ee0ee2acd2a97007.jpg

145. The fireless makes its way through the traffic of the Karushnastrato as it enters the Kapra Pordego (Goat Pen). This siding in the middle of the street leads to the paper mill and the industrial area. From the look of the exhaust the loco must have replenished the pressure cylinder, as opposed to boiler, before leaving the factory. As per usual on the model clearances have been tightened up and I will have to watch the upper story of the building at the right when I come to fixing it permanently.

10-158.jpg.096204089855e3d602880a1210c4ac1c.jpg

159. The loco pushed the wagons back into the loop, having had a contretemps with the snowdrift in the left foreground. This takes great delight in grabbing well wagons and loco ploughs and derailing them. It is made from the mesh used for car repairs covered with paper and plaster and hides the point microswitches. Despite being repeatedly bent back it creeps forward unless an eye is kept on it. A big piece of BluTac now hides underneath as well, supposedly to keep it in check. Further problems have become apparent in this scene……10-166.jpg.e6c087df8d00cd5f747c8f4a984d89c1.jpg

167. The KTT goods is finally let out, very late, and when it arrives at Breĉo de Glissent it immediately encounters problems. The train is restricted to a load of 160 tons, although it is currently loaded to 140 tons. The two vans in the siding would put the train on 190 tons because the van containing fish is one of the problematic 30 tonners (i.e. 3 axles). These are the bane of train crews’ lives and are normally left sulking in the sidings at Relforka. The staciaĉefino also advises that the hopper wagon delivered to the glassworks this morning needs picking up (putting the train on 220 tons) and that the two spare vans in the siding could do with taking round to the glassworks. The maths is not wrong because although the hopper is a bogie vehicle (nominally 40 tons) it is rated at 30 tons because it is short. There is no way that this particular loco, La Besto, the Creature (from the Black Lagoon) will take more than the mandated load over the next section. In truth it will struggle with the permitted maximum. What to do? Answer; ask Control. They created this mess.

Ian T

• Like 5