AFK (Altonian Complementary Railways)

ianathompson

• RMweb Premium

Just a few notes to show that the AFK is not moribund.

The N gauge GNSR layout has taken a lot more work to get it to a reasonable operable state than was initially anticipated. Hopefully the current heavy labour on this layout has been finished for the time being, but I do not hold my breath.

Work on the snow scene is currently stalled but should begin again shortly. The locos have received some attention but are far from complete. They are shown here with a few comments.

42876967605_d040eaf2fe_z.jpg43 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

The Kitson Meyer stands over the loco old pit at Fenditavalat. (This is on the list of things to do as it now needs removing.) The chimney seems to have taken a bash so that will have to be looked at.

43780860211_5fd10d1db0_z.jpg42 (2) by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

The 0-8-0 in its basic form, although the valve gear needs dirtying. I worry about how much lead has had to be inserted into the tender to enable it to pull reasonable loads. A road test will be carried out before the next session to check the performance.

42876970375_4e5cf41c09_z.jpg44 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

The 0-8-8-0T skulks ( or should it be sulks) in front of the old shed. It looks impressive but, even after remotoring and much tinkering its performances still leave something to be desired.

42876971665_d65eaf2b89_z.jpg45 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

The basics of the 2-10-2T are finished and the German style chimney extension shows up well.

42876972965_f692f6a637_z.jpg46 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

The upper part of the line is signalled with an extremely unlikely combination of pre-WWI examples. The original intention was that these would be French but German influence has crept in at Ithilarak. The up distant is based on a Bavarian Railways prototype. These fold back at 45 degrees, presenting an intriguing challenge to model. This is the "langsam fahrt" position of caution.

42876974575_436f1dbc86_z.jpg47 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

The "fahrt frei" or clear position gave a positive indication unlike the standard German distant and French signals which turned end on to the driver. The operating wires could probably stand a little tidying! Work on this and other signals is held up awaiting the arrival of nuts and bolts in the same BA configurations! The Caladonno forirasignalo can then be built and the trackside snow completed.

Ian T

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have spent quite a bit of time "paper modelling" recently, i.e. putting off unpalatable things such as digging holes in baseboards!

One result has been the appearance of a definitive "AFK Instructions for Working" running to forty odd pages.

30495953928_443cf59a2c_z.jpg48 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

This hefty book contains the working procedures for operating sessions. Not many modellers go to such lengths but the AFK is rather large and I felt that it was time to formalise common practices.

It has also allowed me to rationalise a few nebulous areas as well. There are now four pages of instructions for working the (non existent) German style block instruments.

30495954788_dccd9a9a41_z.jpg49 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

There have been one or two practical implications as well. The smaller engines often work snow plough trains but Instruction TW 11 states: "All locomotives working north of Ithilarak must be fitted with snow ploughs during the winter months."

A couple of the shunters often called for these duties have been retro fitted.

Ian T

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The operating language is English so that I and any-one else who works the AFK can understand it!

A few technical terms have been left in the Thalnian (Esperanto) as it does not seem right to change them.

The loop is always referred to as the PFT and the home signal as the ES for instance.

They translate as pasaflankatrako and enirasignalo respectively.

Ian T

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've read through most of your excellent website now. What an interesting and highly individual layout. I love how the motive power seems to be a mix of those that couldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding - right temperamental things and those that are small but mighty! Also the varied range of coaching stock and the attention to operational detail.

It definitely has that sort of rural Continental feel to it, bit if a mish-mash but it definitely works. Look forward to the next update.

Regards, Ben

• RMweb Premium

Continental signalling

Ben, thanks for your comments.

I have just posted a massive tome about the AFK's signalling onto the website.

It is available at https://myafk.net/signalling-methods

I suppose that continental signalling systems will only be of interest to a small minority but it is one of my particular interests within the hobby.

I would be interested to know of any obvious errors in the info provided or malfunctions of the website.

If there are any these will be my shortcomings rather than anyone else's.

Ian T

• RMweb Premium

I’ve had a snoop through your signalling manual, although quickly, so I may have missed a bit. One reaction is that there appears to be no advance warning for a train approaching a station, the first indication is seeing what I’d term the “home” signal close to the station, which would necessitate an approach at reduced speed. The only “distant” you have is a repeater for the “starting” signal, really you need another for the home, or do it the French way, with a “disque rouge” well away from thestation, functioning as a combined distant and home. Arriving at the loop points maybe a clearer indication of which way they are set could be needed. A nice signal to have is one for leaving siding or yard points, French disque Jaune / carre violet, or one of those attractive Austrian slatted diamonds in blue? Lastly,a prominent feature, particularly in Italy and Spain, is the “man in the red hat “ the person in charge at the station who would give a “clear” hand signal supplementing any mechanical signalling in use.

Edited by Northroader

Continental signalling

Ben, thanks for your comments.

I have just posted a massive tome about the AFK's signalling onto the website.

It is available at https://myafk.net/signalling-methods

I suppose that continental signalling systems will only be of interest to a small minority but it is one of my particular interests within the hobby.

I would be interested to know of any obvious errors in the info provided or malfunctions of the website.

If there are any these will be my shortcomings rather than anyone else's.

Ian T

A very interesting read, I love the right mish-mash of types, it's sort of a trademark of the AFK in a way! Signalling is a strong interest of mine, it used to be mainly history and rolling stock but I've grown to become deeply intrigued and interested in the differences between different countries signalling. To be honest I still struggle to comprehend the various aspects of the German/Austrian/Swiss systems while I find the French and Belgian systems much simpler to understand and recall to mind.

As you note yourself, modellers do often seem to neglect signalling either in part or completely and your inclusion of (eventually?) fully operational signalling certainly adds to the layers if realism. A very minor point - are there any speed restriction boards on the layout, these are another thing that seem oft-neglected by modellers, I can only recall 1 layout I've seen with these in place though not very realistically implemented? I know historically not all railways (think it took until well into BR days before PSRs were all marked out) had these and I suppose minor narrow-gauge Continental ones might not have but I have seen such on the Corsican railways and wondered if you planned any such signs for inclusion?

• RMweb Premium

Gentlemen. Thank you for your interest and the points that you raised.

To some extent I have manipulated the continental systems to suit my preferences but most of the French influence has been obtained by referring to Histoire de la Signalisation Ferroviare Français (A Gernigon, Vie du Rail, 1998). Extracting information from this is a little hit and miss because, like most French technical books, it doesn't include an index.

I would not attempt to suggest that the AFK signalling system was an accurate portrayal of any real system but rather that it has been influenced by prototype practice. I suppose that I could cite Rule 1 (Its my railway etc, etc.) but that would be the easy way out!

What I have attempted to show as the standard AFK installation at an intermediate station is derived from French voie unique (VU) or single line practices. There were many variations in provision, all of which are outlined in the book, along with representative diagrams. One problem is that in some circumstances stations were laid out on the Regie voie directe (VD) principle (i.e. taking the through (straight) route) and others were laid out on the Regie de la voie de gauche where the left hand route was always taken, as in British practice. VD translates into Thalnian as sola viva vojo so what we have is the SVV-AFK system.

None of these French systems appear to have had an avertissement warning of the home signal. It must be said that even within the pre-nationalisation companies there was a wide range of provision. The PO sometimes provided a carré yet in other circumstances provided a disque rouge as the first signal encountered. In certain arrangements a carré and rappel de ralentissement were also provided by the points at the station entry whereas in others it was not. It was against these disparate methods that the SVV-AFK  was devised.

I decided to use the carré rather than the disque for a couple of reasons. The interpretation of the disque rouge at danger was "stop and proceed on sight prepared to stop short of any obstruction". In practical terms this meant 'watch out for any shunting moves that are standing on the main line between you and the station'. The distances between the various AFK signals and the entry points are much foreshortened as on most model railways. Shunt moves at Boursson often (illegally) proceed beyond the home but I accept this as a reasonable compromise. The electrical arrangements for a disque would also be complicated as I do not use DCC.

In any case the avertissement would have to be sited beyond the halt at Lamassco on the model which is supposed to be 1·8 kilometres distant. This would stretch credulity.

One last thought on this is that the Regie simplifé system did indicate the approach to stations with a "Gare" sign but this seems to have effectively functioned as a home signal. I suppose that a German "kreuztafel" could be supplied but again this becomes a problem of foreshortening. The northern approaches to Breĉo de Glissent and Cadsuine-Fanhuidol are two locations that might present more realistic options for one of these signals.

The carré violet or its predecessor the disque jaune (which wasn't necessarily a disc, such as on the Etat or the Midi) were used for freight trains leaving lay-bys or sidings. In my earliest attempts to use French signalling I did not realise this and erroneously provided one for shunt moves on an older version of Fenditavalat. Signal bb at Lacono Vecchia is effectively a carré violet placed at ground level as it is used to authorise freight train departures from the yard. It is of course a colour light signal. It will eventually be supplemented by a full height counterpart at the northern end of the yard (designated signal T). I suppose that in my home brewed numbering system signal bb (I quoted the wrong number originally) should be redesignated as a mainline signal (H appears to be spare). As I noted, there were no purple LEDs available at the time of construction so I settled on blue as an acceptable substitute. There are no other locations on the system where these types of signals are needed as semaphores so the violet or blue slatted examples cannot be justified I am afraid. The closest that I have come to a carré jaune is the shunting aspect in the Fenditavalat home which displays red and yellow. It is intended that all the shunt aspects at Urteno will be shown by yellow lights but the embryonic signalling scheme which has been prepared probably diverges further away from prototype systems.

With regard to the speed restriction signs there are not any at the moment. Again one of the problems is placing them at a sensible distance from whatever they apply to. The 'Instructions' book specifies that all train should slow to 15 kph when taking the diverging route on entering stations and I may eventually provide reminders. There are plenty of signs missing at the moment. A lot of level crossings need a whistle sign along the line and gradient posts are currently absent. I tend to do these things as batch jobs like I did with the kilometre posts which follow German practice in being provided at (allegedly) 100 metre intervals or the level crossing cross bucks. I have run out of both of these at the moment so I will need to make some more.

The only signs provided so far for railway operations are those warning the driver to engage and disengage the rack drive, high on the moors in the Győrsmorabű. The disengage one is shown here as it seems to have escaped inclusion in the website.

45312796031_128dc9901e_c.jpgsmall layouts 011 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

Its counterpart is visible in the background of the photo although nowadays it seems to spend more time lying on its back. Perhaps the local ganger should concentrate more on this rather than checking his traps!

Hope that this is of interest and explains a few things. If any one has any other queries I will be glad to answer then as far as possible.

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
  • Like 1

I can understand the lack of certain signs and signals due to "compression" as it were, I think it looks better with the omitted where distances are too short, otherwise I think you end up with an over-population of such items and it detracts from the feeling of distance that you otherwise try to introduce.

Perhaps a somewhat arbitrary question, but I wondered what the maximum speed on the line would be, considering the basic point-to-point averages of 30km/h for passenger and 35km/h for railcars (I assume for the better acceleration (?)), I wondered if a maxima if say 70-75km/h was possible? Though some of the motive power looks less than capable of that with a heavy load of course!

I re-read through your signalling page again, so much information it's difficult to absorb in one go, but fascinating nonetheless!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To be honest I have never considered the maximum speed limits applicable upon the line. This might seem strange but the timetable was based upon average speeds, although some adjustments to timings were made for the steep uphill sections. These timings were based upon those published in continental NG timetables. Many line histories include these somewhere in their pages. One problem, however is that many of these lines were metre gauge railways that could run at higher speeds than 750mm, which is what 00 track most closely approximates to in 7mm scale.

35 kph, which is what the AFK railcars are timetabled to run at, equates to roughly 22mph. The suggested 70-75kph works out at around 46 mph which is a little faster than the speeds claimed for Donegal railcars. I would suggest that 50kph or 30mph would be the maximum AFK speed. There are 750mm railways in Europe that nowadays run at much faster speeds(as is noted in the timetables section of the website) but these are modern railways which use deep rock ballast and continuous welded rails. The AFK's roadbed cannot match these standards. The ballast is sand, gravel and ash mixed in roughly equal proportions. As I observed before it might not be capable of taking SG wagons on transporters in reality and I seriously doubt that it would stand up to being pounded at 50mph!

Ian T

To be honest I have never considered the maximum speed limits applicable upon the line. This might seem strange but the timetable was based upon average speeds, although some adjustments to timings were made for the steep uphill sections. These timings were based upon those published in continental NG timetables. Many line histories include these somewhere in their pages. One problem, however is that many of these lines were metre gauge railways that could run at higher speeds than 750mm, which is what 00 track most closely approximates to in 7mm scale.

35 kph, which is what the AFK railcars are timetabled to run at, equates to roughly 22mph. The suggested 70-75kph works out at around 46 mph which is a little faster than the speeds claimed for Donegal railcars. I would suggest that 50kph or 30mph would be the maximum AFK speed. There are 750mm railways in Europe that nowadays run at much faster speeds(as is noted in the timetables section of the website) but these are modern railways which use deep rock ballast and continuous welded rails. The AFK's roadbed cannot match these standards. The ballast is sand, gravel and ash mixed in roughly equal proportions. As I observed before it might not be capable of taking SG wagons on transporters in reality and I seriously doubt that it would stand up to being pounded at 50mph!

Ian T

It doesn't seem strange as such, I suppose that for timetabling purposes what really matters is the average speed, how long it takes between stations and/or crossing loops etc. Besides, 50 km/h max is just about the perfect speed to watch the scenery pass by anyway!

My suggested 70-75 was derived from the maximum 75 km/h of the Renault ABH8 Railcars of the Chemins de Fer de la Corse, which operated most of the 'mainline' Ajaccio-Bastia workings in the sixties IIRC and the maximum speed of the Sardinian 950mm railcars (72/75 km/h depending on the type).

750 mm is of course another story 75 is maybe a tad too high with hindsight, the closest guage I can relate to is the Manx 3ft (914mm), which certainly ran at 35 mph in the thirties.

You never know though - maybe if the AFK was in modern times they'd have a fleet of identical, air-conditioned, plastic-seated railcars running at 80 km/h, who knows!

Edited by hexagon789

• RMweb Premium

I have vaguely toyed with the idea of a modern "electrified" AFK as an occasional alternative to the current system (no pun intended) but I can't see it coming to pass.

I would just build 3 or 4 emus and declare all the intermediate sidings shut. There would obviously be no catenary.

Freight traffic at the few remaining rail served industries would exclusively use SG vehicles hauled by a couple of the big diesels.

There would be a lot of choice for the heritage stock!

I have also occasionally contemplated a temporary regression to the nineteenth century but that is not likely to happen either!

Ian T

• RMweb Premium

31534897288_04bddf6188_c.jpg53 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

Preliminary preparations are under way for the new session.

So much equipment has been moved around by hand to avoid damage during works or to act as photo props for web site articles that a "roll call" is needed to make sure that everyone is present and correct. Given the large amount of stock discrepancies inevitably appear between what is on hand and what should be there. Some of this it must be said is down to my administrative incompetence as wagons have obviously been transferred between stations by train without the wagon cards going forward.

In other cases the cards disappear into the ether. Every vehicle here has its correct card except the painted bogie van just below the new floodlight pylon. This has  become such a regular occurrence that some time back spare cards were prepared to act as temporary documents until the originals eventually turn up. VV440 is running on one of these.

Hopefully the new session should start by next week.

Ian T

• Like 1

Great work, Ian. The next time someone asks me to define the difference between "railway modelling" and "modelling a railway", I'll refer them to the AFK. Your emphasis on realistic operation and the way you've achieved it is very impressive. Thanks for sharing your work with us.

All the best,

Mark.

• RMweb Premium

The AFK is now back in harness following its long shut down.

43721618300_2da14c54b7_c.jpg4-3 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

3. There is some continuity with the previous session in that the 2-8-2T is running the big rotary down the north side from Ospicio. It stops at Caladonno's home and proceeds at caution as directed by the Instructions for Working (a cross between the Rule Book and a Sectional Appendix). It will not meet anything in  the thick snow! The plough is a bit bright and reflects modern practice on the Rhaetian. I suppose it might not have been so garish in the sixties.

There are only a couple of photos at present. They can be found at https://myafk.net/operating-session-4

Hopefully more should follow in due course.

Ian T

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The new operating session is now underweay and a full set of photos is available at https://myafk.net/operating-session-4

44876568814_dde2191f2a_c.jpg4-11 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

11. The following Fenditavalat goods crosses the Kasatritikakamparoj in the early morning darkness. It too has a number of SG wagons in the consist including a bogie flat to take away some of the forestry products backed up in the upper reaches of the line. Control have insisted that a large diesel is turned out for this train due to the snow in the high passes. The rabbits give an indication of how the local ganger supplements his income.

44876570354_5ee11b2af8_c.jpg4-12 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

12. The cement train marks time at Cadsuiane-Fanhuidol. There is supposed to be two or three feet of snow at this location but it is not possible to change the scenery to reflect the winter season so this area is modelled in high summer. The train is being held here as the station is a block post, although there is no loop. It is waiting for the snowplough to clear the line to Ospicio. It eventually left 20 minutes behind time with the engine and transmission screaming as it restarted the heavy load on the stiff gradient so there will not have been too much sleep for the station staff tonight! The train faces the prospect of losing more time waiting at Ospicio for the plough coming up the Orbon valley. This is one of the operational problems that I wanted to simulate in running a busy railway over a high Alpine pass.

44687337245_fa0eb3e5d1_c.jpg4-14 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

14. In a well tried and trusted set of moves the motive power from train 2401 runs round its train before the ferry is "pulled". This provides the station with motive power at both ends and helps to avoid too much congestion. As I have remarked before, these sort of working procedures were carried out every day and railwaymen knew what was required to get the job done. It is often difficult to replicate this on a model, especially if it operated infrequently. The 0-8-0's engine has put the reverser across and is about to back down onto its train. The pilot's crew have wasted no time in pulling the wagons up the steep slipway into one of the loops.

31742811418_74c79d5ce6_c.jpg4-19 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

19. The congestion in the Lower Market at Fenditavalat is such that the railway would most likely have been removed during the 1960s. On the right the cement train has just arrived, in the middle the loco and part of the Relforka goods stands in front of the pilot whilst the remainder of the train stands in the loop at the left. The three phase wiring shows up nicely. Having assembled the train in the yard there was insufficient siding space to pull it clear of the yard points hence the convoluted manoeuvres necessary to re-assemble it.

31742812428_b353cc43c6_c.jpg4-23 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

23. The crew have cut their losses and have opted to go into the goods loop to fish out the van of cans. This will make working at Glissent slightly more difficult but there is still the Co-op siding to shunt and time is getting short. There is also little chance of pulling some time back at Sojonno today because there is traffic into and out of the factory there. The crew have cleared the main with more than the 5 minutes to spare, as recommended by the Instructions, replaced the point lever keys into the locking frame and worked the block instruments before clearing the signal to give the railcar a clear run. The chances are that they will already be over the main road with the loaded van before the railcar leaves.

Ian T

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Around about twenty new photos have been posted at https://myafk.net/operating-session-4

A small selection is included here.

45645433882_3dce9c24d5_c.jpg4-32 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

32. ...As a result the train is piloted from the front. I am unaware of any banking operation where NG locos attached to the rear of trains carrying SG wagons. It would seem likely that all such trains would be double headed as appears to have been the case on the Bulgarian and Polish NG. With no DCC the train engine had to reverse about three inches onto a separate electrical circuit to allow the pilot to attach. This is an 'uncharged technical timeout' where the clock is not moved. All moves are recorded against a click clock and charged at three minutes, as outlined in the Operating articles on the website. The legitimate moves have taken so long, however, that departure will be roughly ten minutes behind that shown in the WTT.

45645436642_679bd1f1d2_c.jpg4-35 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

35. Needless to say the ERO-URT train gets checked as the distant is "on". The distant, barely visible in this photo is the yellow diamond. The curate is assiduously doing his rounds in his cassock before 7 in the morning. Perhaps he has a service in a remote chapel if he survives crossing the rickety bridge over the drainage ditch. He doesn't look too sure on his feet!

45645444712_e8503e13b3_c.jpg4-43 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

43. The RFK-FDV freight labours heavily as it enters Tunnel 231 on the Vulpafaŭkangulo. The train is the longest permitted by the Instructions, and with the two locos drawing power on straight DC the voltage is such that it isn't going too fast. The far side of the tunnel (right) has had rock inserted because it is visible from normal viewing angles. The near (left) side will not receive attention. Only the bottom end is finished but once the top is completed the ballasting will be finished. This is not the 231st tunnel by the way. It is just that all the infrastructure, bridges culverts etc have been included in one numbering scheme. There are plenty of gaps in the sequence to allow for the unmodelled parts of the railway.

Ian T

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It has been a relatively routine session so far but one or two operational problems are starting to rear their heads as outlined in the short selection of photos below.

The full set can be found at https://myafk.net/operating-session-4

45784521922_8c64fe57bd_c.jpg4-51 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

51. Having taken the wagons into Gasworks Street yard and retrieved some others out of the sidings, there is some debate as to how much of this it will be possible to forward on the two trains booked to forward traffic from Lacono. The Urteno train is running near capacity and there may not be too much space on the FDV-RFK goods either. Whist it is standard practice to hold some wagons for afternoon services this quantity of vehicles will overwhelm the yard. It may yet be necessary to run another special.

44920826685_d13a4be3a0_c.jpg4-54 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

54. Cadsuiane-Fabhuidol is one of those minor places on a large layout that just seems to get overlooked. As was noted in the last session an attempt to isolate a locomotive in the siding failed and a new section had to be put in. In this session my main concern was that the transporter would ground on the siding but this did not happen. Instead the SG van caught the overhanging side of the station building which surprised me as I remember testing it for clearance against the big Co-Co. The building was removed and slightly repositioned to allow the SG vehicle to pass. Thankfully the scene is not completed and the exercise did not create too many problems although a clean up will be needed. In the past wagons for the siding have been placed at the front of the train so the Instructions might need altering but then again they may not.

30894020967_80fc47a06f_c.jpg4-58 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

58. The problems with the blocking of the LAC-RFK local goods have come home to roost. Quite often slight problems become major complications if not attended to. In an ideal world the hopper of limestone (for the glass factory) and the grain hopper should have been on the rear of the train but, as was noted, there was insufficient time to block the train correctly before it left Lacono. The heavy workload at Boursson and the need to drop off and pick up wagons at Sojonno have resulted in the train arriving at Glissent in a less than ideal condition. Often an early arrival gives  some spare time to sort out these problems but the train arrived on time today, leaving no leeway to deal with the problem. Ideally the Glissent drop offs should have been at the rear of the train but they are mixed into the consist. The grain hopper, bound for Eromarbordo could then have had a quick transfer on the back of the railcar and the limestone hopper could have been taken around to the glassworks. The need to propel for just under a mile to reach the glassworks mandates that no surplus wagons are taken along the siding and so the bogie hopper will have to be detached from the train whilst the rest of the wagons are put back onto the train. The grain hopper will have to wait until the loco returns before it can be forwarded along the branch.

45833673321_0c3fc2c83d_c.jpg4-64 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

64. There is some latitude in the timings and so the train is instructed to 'lift' the colliery traffic. Unfortunately the heavy loadings will exceed the limits prescribed for safely braking a train down the Vulpafaŭkangulo, even with the retainers turned up, and so one wagon will be left behind. Both the hoppers at the uphill end of the siding are due to replenish the bunkers of the AFK's ferry on the Spegulalaguno but there is no question of working them as a pair. This is a mountainous railway and trains must work to the maximum tonnage as far as possible. It is not quite an American drag freight, especially at only 14 axles (less the brake) but it is as close as I can come!

Ian T

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This week's photos are now available at  https://myafk.net/operating-session-4

As usual a selection is shown below to give a flavour of activities.

44996576085_b7a671f2c3_c.jpg4-65 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

65. The express rolls sedately through the upper reaches of the Kasatritikakamparoj as it approaches Boursson with the signals "off". I hesitate to use a verb such as 'rushes' because that is something that train 11005 certainly does not deign to do. The well heeled passengers in the Pullman car are unconcerned however. They have comfortable individual seats. a copious supply of coffee and are waited on hand and foot.

44996577995_045d139652_c.jpg4-67 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

67. The local, following the express, pulls out into the RN424 at Breĉo de Glissent. Road vehicles are few and far between in this isolated province during the 1960s and the few in the vicinity will have been expected, upon hearing the loco's whistle, to have made themselves scarce from the bridge over the Ero. The trains do not take prisoners! The train is passing in front of the Co-op where the top end of the siding is now empty. The hopper wagons that were parked here were removed by the Eromarbordo railcar, which acts as a station pilot as required. The road signs beside the engine show, from the bottom upwards, 30 kph speed limit, main road diverges to right and tram pinch, where the train will sideswipe any unwary vehicles driven too close to the track. The indifferent road surface helps to explain why the railway maintains its superiority as the transport of choice.

44093241520_9566d310df_c.jpg4-77 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

77. The FDV-RFK goods is running cautiously down the Aepto Gorge with the maximum weight of train allowed for an unassisted engine. This view is taken from the opposite side of the gorge and the stream is invisible between the rocks. The scene is directly below the preceding one and would be compromised if the rack branch was not straight. The loco has just crossed the electrical boundary between Ithilarak and Urteno. It will be left here for some time before running down to Urteno on local control.

44093243450_0fbd451ee9_c.jpg4-83 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

83. The extra goods train was checked outside town before receiving clear signals. The 0-4-0TT casually stands in the middle of the canton's main thoroughfare to let the extra pass before it resumes its work. By chance, almost everything in this scene is complete, giving a good idea of how the finished railway might look, but the observant will notice that the brake van has no roof and the diesel needs minor attention to finish it..

44093243990_7b67b3a952_c.jpg4-88 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

88. The up express is the first train to pass the new signal at Ithilarak with the distant in the 'off' position. The Bavarian Railways chose to give a positive indication to the driver rather than use the standard continental format of making a clear signal invisible to the driver. The distant normally stands in the 'on' position as in photo 9. I have had it suggested to me that some form of protection should be provided for this signal as it is placed in a vulnerable location next to the aisle, so I am contemplating a plastic shield.

Ian T

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A request for information.

Can anyone tell me roughly when these long wheelbase sliding door wagons were introduced please?

45983775831_28035f6241_c.jpg4-96a by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

96a A couple of transporters have become available to make a quick test of the layout's latest acquisition, a modern long wheel base van. I think that these sliding wall vehicles were introduced onto the German railways during the 1960s but I  am open to correction about this. Anyway if I am wrong I will once again claim modeller's license because a couple more are on order. They need painting and finishing but come ready assembled with flexible axles so this was the first attempt to see how they performed around sharp curves. The wheelbase is so long that they cannot be accommodated on a single transporter but the first attempt to offset the wagon towards the right hand end resulted in the left hand end of the transporter to the left raising into the air! This obviously isn't viable (!) but I suspect that two of these vans could be carried by three transporters. Time will tell.

Thanks 

Ian T

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This week's selection of photos is now available at https://myafk.net/operating-session-4

44200829700_1bdf8c4069_c.jpg4-92 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

92. The 0-4-0TT backs down to the extremity of the Co-op siding at Ithilarak to collect a van converted into a hopper. the siding is rather rickety so the move was performed slowly. Locos do not usually run this far along the siding as the common practice is to use a 'handle' of wagons to drag the wagons out.

45104833245_9ebe975a72_c.jpg4-95 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

95. I suppose that I set up this shot earlier with my comments in photo 66. The express has circumnavigated the room and is now passing directly above the site of that photo. Our Lady of the Snows chapel, at Ayleha, is just visible between the trees. The train is unlikely to have to stop as this is one of the minor halts provided for schools' trains. Cross bucks are still needed here for the Long Distance Footpath which runs along the side of the chapel.

45292178764_923da3f15a_c.jpg4-98 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

98. The RFK-FDV goods arrives in Fenditavalat. As there are so few vehicles today the train crew are instructed to place the wagons in the yard rather than leave them for the shunter to deal with. There is an hour's gap before the arrival of the express but....

45292181534_eee515059b_c.jpg4-102 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

102. The car train crosses the viaduct over the Orbon at Caladonno during the late morning. This is another seasonal service that only runs when the high passes are blocked.

45292183094_5772258cda_c.jpg4-107 by Ian Thompson, on Flickr

107. The railcar shuttle from Lacono is extended to Varden at this time of the year for the benefit of skiers. It is at the extremity of the (currently non existent) colour light signalling system installed in the pre-WWII era.

Ian T

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I like the whole concept of the railway. The trains are doing real jobs, with the odd real "problem" thrown in.

Do you operate the layout on your own or do you have a crew?

Baz