Identifying coaches

Hello

I know a certain amount about these coaches but cannot fully identify them and sure - rather than speculating could anyone tell me what type of coaches these are - in both photos?  

Do you think that the blue and red coaches have been repainted - I don't recognise the livery.      The coaches were on the Chester Explorer - pulled by two Class 59's.

Thanks

post-7099-0-91407900-1512327031_thumb.jpg

post-7099-0-91256000-1512327039_thumb.png

The first two are ex BR MK2a coaches I believe, the wrap around door of later MK2s started with 2bs. Originally in blue/grey livery, I'm afraid I can't remember who they were owned by at that time, but I think they were also used on either Cardiff valley lines services or in the Bristol area. The catering car is a MK1 although I'm afraid that is as far as my knowledge goes without turning to a reference book, which is almost impossible to get to at the moment

Yes a Mk1 catering vehicle with all the hallmarks of a Restaurant Unclassified (RU). 

. The catering car is a MK1 although I'm afraid that is as far as my knowledge goes without turning to a reference book, which is almost impossible to get to at the moment

Without a number (and it doesn't seem to have a number) it would seem impossible to say whether RU (as from Bachmann)  or perhaps RB (as from Mainline).

Ray

It's a Riviera Trains rake.The first two coaches are Mk2a TSO, the CC one is likely to be 5341. The third coach is a Mk1 RMB in CH livery probably 1842 (air only) but could be 1863 (dual braked). The second photo shows the extreme end of Mk1 FO and a RBR (ex RB) probably 1671 - the position of the middle door is the clue.

Edited by Bomag

• RMweb Premium

The centre doors on the TSO points to 2 or 2A.

The air brake kit on the far right of the first one points to 2A

The refurbished RBs and RUs are very similar. RUs used to have a bigger saloon by one wider window

The buffet coach two small windows, if door between 19xx RU, not 16xx, 17xx RB

3 wide windows, door, narrow window. If door at left RB, no door refurbished RU another window original RU.

RB window, door, gap, small window, gap,  small window, big gap, door, window, window, window, door, window

RU window, door, gap, small window, door, small window, XXXXXXXXXX, window, window, window, door, window

Original X gap, door, and window

Refurb X bigger gap