Master Neverers

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Premium

Interesting but enigmatic website, giving little away on who the MNA were, what you get for your money [how much?] and what kind of oil they used in their loco cleaning exploits [apparnetly cylinder oil was not popular with the footplate staff on Tebay banking engines...].

Dava

• RMweb Gold

Agreed.

3 volumes, 750 art pictures, best get saving!

MIke.

If those photos on their website are anything to go by this will be corker, I've signed up too but curious about the cost of the set.

Nice commemorative project marking fifty years since the end of mainline steam on BR metals.

Cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Gold

If those photos on their website are anything to go by this will be corker, I've signed up too but curious about the cost of the set.

Nice commemorative project marking fifty years since the end of mainline steam on BR metals.

Cheers,

Keith

Agreed - 75033 at Talerddig did it for me!

Phil

• Like 1

Interesting this - I'd been told by a member of the MNA, now sadly no longer with us, that the term "Master Neverers" referred to the ability of its members to avoid paying for their rail journeys in the last days of steam, i.e. Neverer being never pays. In view of the scope of their travels, and the fact that they probably didn't earn that much as young men, this was probably the only route available to them. Perhaps the free engine cleaning should be considered payment in lieu!

Sadly I'm too young to have participated in any of this, and it is a profound regret that my parents didn't get their act together in this regard a bit sooner!

John.

• RMweb Gold

Ah thats a regret many of us have John - I never forgave my mother as she would not let me go to Crewe in Autumn 67 with a man I met on Birmingham New Street. A year later I was travelling the network - but a few years too late?

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Ah thats a regret many of us have John - I never forgave my mother as she would not let me go to Crewe in Autumn 67 with a man I met on Birmingham New Street. A year later I was travelling the network - but a few years too late?

Phil

When I was about 13 and spotting on the platform ends at New Street, I chanced across a man in a mac who was doing something unsavoury in public, so your mother was probably wise to be cautious!

Cheers,

Keith

• 4 months later...

"Never Again" is now up to 4 volumes plus slipcase and in theory will surface in June 2018.

Apropos of the MNA, a belated "congratulations" to LNER4479 for the little scene involving RDU 290, Mr. Riley, and other ne'er do wells. Which one's Ian Krause by the way?

An MNA video exists, some of it from the 11th August 1968, which is one of the funniest pieces of tape I have ever seen - unfortunately I returned it without copying it and the old friend who lent it has, I hope temporarily, lost the flipping thing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here is the latest news from the MNA website: 

May 24th, 2018

Proofs and timescale

Proof copies of all four volumes of Never Again have been produced, ready for editing and proof-reading.

The timescale for the remaining stages of producing Never Again is:

announce price – 14th June 2018

e-commerce facility added to this website – 1st July 2018

orders available at discounted price (must be ordered and paid) – 1st July 2018 to 31st July 2018

orders revert to full price – 1st August 2018 onwards

printing – August 2018

book distribution – September 2018 onwards

• 3 weeks later...

June 14th, 2018

Price announcement

NEVER AGAIN – THE COMPLETE WORKS will be available from 1st October 2018 priced at £120 + £10 Postage & Packing within Great Britain.

*Special Pre-Launch Offer*

Orders for the boxed set which are placed and paid by 31st July

2018 will qualify for a generous discount of over 20% while stocks last.

£95 + £10 Postage and Packing within Great Britain.

• Like 1

June 14th, 2018

Price announcement

NEVER AGAIN – THE COMPLETE WORKS will be available from 1st October 2018 priced at £120 + £10 Postage & Packing within Great Britain.

*Special Pre-Launch Offer*

Orders for the boxed set which are placed and paid by 31st July

2018 will qualify for a generous discount of over 20% while stocks last.

£95 + £10 Postage and Packing within Great Britain.

A friend has been working on at least one of Paul Riley's photographs for this set -  I think the books are going to be a "must have". Well, I've put my money where my mouth is! The website has some samples of the shots, which are superb.  

• 3 weeks later...

Who is the actually legal publisher of these proposed books ?

I was about to place an order this morning but stopped as I could not find the business details of the publisher of these books.  Unfortunately, such details do not appear to be available in the public domain.

Please will some-one provide information that I can't find if it is available, but:

- I can find no record of 'mnabooks' nor 'Never Again Publishing' existing as a legal business entity in the UK.  If neither is a legal entity, then they cannot be the the legal publisher, and presumably the legal publisher must be a person or a partnership of people rather than a business.

- I can find no record of any address or telephone number for the publisher on the mnabooks website

- From the mnabooks website, I can find no way of contacting the publisher other than by email, should the books never be delivered

- whilst it is possible to pay by credit card, the payment goes through Paypal, so the usual credit card protection for payments over £100 would not apply.

In summary, if I should pay in advance for these books and they not be delivered for any reason, I appear to have no means of redress or even knowing the name of the person(s) or business entity that had received my money.

I write this in the hope that the publisher reads this and provides the above information.  I am sure that the publisher would not like to be seen to be operating in the same way as 'scammers', which is what is happening if the above information is not available.

P.S.  The Facebook page for 'mnabooks' gives some information, including the phone number 07979 802848.  A web search of this number shows it in association with the names David Wilkinson and David Wilkinson Associates.  The later has an address of 52 Surman Street, Worcester, WR1 1HL.

The Facebook page for 'mnabooks', gives an address as Kidderminster Station, but the accompanying map shows a location on Station Road 4km due east of Cleobury Mortimer.

A Google search of "David Wilkinson 'Never Again' " produces an entry stating that an update to the mnabooks website was made on 4th April 2018 by David Wilkinson. 

Is David Wilkinson the legal publisher ?

I was about to place an order this morning but stopped as I could not find the business details of the publisher of these books.  Unfortunately, such details do not appear to be available in the public domain.

Please will some-one provide information that I can't find if it is available, but:

- I can find no record of 'mnabooks' nor 'Never Again Publishing' existing as a legal business entity in the UK.  If neither is a legal entity, then they cannot be the the legal publisher, and presumably the legal publisher must be a person or a partnership of people rather than a business.

- I can find no record of any address or telephone number for the publisher on the mnabooks website

- From the mnabooks website, I can find no way of contacting the publisher other than by email, should the books never be delivered

- whilst it is possible to pay by credit card, the payment goes through Paypal, so the usual credit card protection for payments over £100 would not apply.

In summary, if I should pay in advance for these books and they not be delivered for any reason, I appear to have no means of redress or even knowing the name of the person(s) or business entity that had received my money.

I write this in the hope that the publisher reads this and provides the above information.  I am sure that the publisher would not like to be seen to be operating in the same way as 'scammers', which is what is happening if the above information is not available.

P.S.  The Facebook page for 'mnabooks' gives some information, including the phone number 07979 802848.  A web search of this number shows it in association with the names David Wilkinson and David Wilkinson Associates.  The later has an address of 52 Surman Street, Worcester, WR1 1HL.

The Facebook page for 'mnabooks', gives an address as Kidderminster Station, but the accompanying map shows a location on Station Road 4km due east of Cleobury Mortimer.

A Google search of "David Wilkinson 'Never Again' " produces an entry stating that an update to the mnabooks website was made on 4th April 2018 by David Wilkinson. 

David Wilkinson spoke to me today.   He is leading on the book and his details are available as quoted in the previous post.   The MNA is a long established group with some well-known names.   I have been assured that the book will be delivered by a reputable parcel service.   This a legitimate, long established publishing exercise which should be encouraged and supported.   There is no reason to raise doubts in people's minds, in my view.   I look forward to receiving my copy and wish all those involved a successful publication.   I expect coverage in the national railway magazines shortly.......Thanks.

Edited by Stephenwolsten
  • Like 1

Seem like reasonable concerns to raise. Thanks for doing so.