Master Neverers

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

There is some debate about the origin of the name - thats certainly one version CK but another is that they never got the master shot...hence Master Neverers. The latter is somewhat debatable - theres a taster in the current Railway Magazine, just reading that and looking at the pictures - 60052 on the Waverley, 75033 on the Cambrian - raises the hairs on my neck.

Theres no doubt that barriers were pushed but without their activities we would be a lot poorer...

Phil

I think we can certainly agree that there are/were some very skilled and competent photographers amongst their number.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely CK

And there are plenty of other books out there that are based on completely unofficial access to railway property - the Kenneth Leach Castles and Kings books come to mind. Different days for sure!

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the activities of the MNA, or the legality or otherwise of the way the books are being published, I had a look at the website, which is quite professional in its production, and the images which are in the samples are quite stunning.  There were certainly some very gifted photographers within their number, and there was a tendency to the "new wave" approach (think Colin Gifford or even more avant garde).  Ian Krause and Paul Riley come to mind, and no doubt their work will be included.

I suspect that 50 years on, the surviving MNA members feel that their activities can be told without fear, hence this set of books

This is on my wish list now, but £120 is a lot for a poor pensioner, even one who was there at the end of steam at Carnforth in '68.

That's my ten penn'orth anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Let’s try and put the price, £120, in perspective. It may sound a lot for the printed word, but it is now about average for a reasonable, but not premium quality, RTR loco in 4mm. According to the poll in a current thread, 63% of RMweb respondents own more than 50 locos, albeit some will have been bought rather more cheaply. But the enthusiasm expressed for the style of photography in this thread suggests to me that purchasers will derive substantially more pleasure than any one loco could ever generate, let alone sustain. Books last a very long time.

I will not be a purchaser. I bought Each A Glimpse when first published 50 years ago - it was piled high on every WHSmug bookstall - and have probably looked through it at least twice. We learn what we like.

Let’s try and put the price, £120, in perspective. It may sound a lot for the printed word, but it is now about average for a reasonable, but not premium quality, RTR loco in 4mm. According to the poll in a current thread, 63% of RMweb respondents own more than 50 locos, albeit some will have been bought rather more cheaply. But the enthusiasm expressed for the style of photography in this thread suggests to me that purchasers will derive substantially more pleasure than any one loco could ever generate, let alone sustain. Books last a very long time.

I will not be a purchaser. I bought Each A Glimpse when first published 50 years ago - it was piled high on every WHSmug bookstall - and have probably looked through it at least twice. We learn what we like.

I would agree completely with your comments about putting the cost of Never Again into perspective, but as a comparator I would use the cost of top quality photo albums from the US which are available in this country - for example A Steam Odyssey (which includes a number of BR scenes) by Victor Hand  and published by W W Norton retails at £60. The page size and count is similar to that of an individual volume of  Never Again and the quality of printing is top notch - If the MNA can match this for half the price, I will be well pleased.

Bill

I saw proof copies of these volumes at the SVR this weekend and I have to say they are very very good, whether they are worth £130 is another matter, a sub £100 price ticket would be far more psychologically acceptable.

I do wish the initial special offer was still valid now that proofs are available for inspection, £95 without seeing anything was alot to commit to a blind purchase (yes there were some images on the website but those could have been cherry picked).

Edited by zigzag

• 1 month later...

Fantastic!  Can't wait to see my order for these fulfilled. 

I will treat their arrival as a birthday present to myself, and drink a toast to all the MNA's wonderfully nefarious activities over the festive season.

Cheers!  :angel:  :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Delivery is now scheduled for mid December - https://www.mnabooks.com/latestnews/

Bill

Verdamnt! I only checked the web site last night as SWMBO asked me what was happening....

Will look more like an Xmas pressie than an August birthday pressie when it arrives.... better ask for an August retrospective then, when are those new SLW 24s due?????

Phil

• 1 month later...

Great news - Mine arrived 5 minutes ago by Royal Mail signed for.

A heavy box marked "fragile" sender is Never Again Publishing, Bilston Wolverhampton.

Box undamaged / marked and as it's a Christmas present from Mrs. I won't open it till Christmas so can't comment on the books.

The wait is over !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brit15

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Card through the door when we got home tonight .....so SWMBO went off to the post office whilst I made a cup of tea. A big queue she said when she got back half an hour later ....and they told her it was a heavy parcel ...... no kidding!

So unpacking revealed just what I had hoped for.....a wonderful compilation in no. 104 of the print run.

It has been well worth the long wait. Only had a look through volume 1 so far but the sections on the Aber-York mail, Jubilees and the Waverley route certainly hit the spot.

Thanks to all those involved in putting this wonderful tome together...

Phil

• Like 1

You will love it Chard!

A3s A2s V2s B1s .......the Master Curve in particular is spectacular

Phil

Can't wait, I know the MNA were regulars there but as we know - these are hitherto unpublished shots.  I am literally like a kid at Christmas!

Mine arrived today.   Warning - heavy parcel if you have to collect it!  Not allowed to peep before Christmas.......

I feel sorry for the man of the house across the road, as he had to take one of these in earlier!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Been browsing again tonight....what absolute gems!

The best has to be a Hawkesworth coach being added as a strengthener to a north bound train at Edinburgh Waverley by an A4!

Prototype for everything!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Been browsing again tonight....what absolute gems!

The best has to be a Hawkesworth coach being added as a strengthener to a north bound train at Edinburgh Waverley by an A4!

Prototype for everything!

Phil

Haven't got the books (yet!) but my favourite 'prototype for everything' is from the Marsden Rail DVD 'Carlisle' with two green Class 20's (as they became) with the 'Royal Scot' complete with headboard.