Master Neverers

Phil Bullock

Immediately prior to my early September 2020 post I had been in contact with the MNA (regarding some errors in the 'Never Again' captions) and was  informed then that another four volumes (probably) were in preparation. however as it wasn't yet in the public domain I refrained from copying in what I was told. Given that it's now out in the open, and for the benefit of those who don't (like myself) see Steam Railway mag., here's the information I received. Obviously I have no idea whether this accords with what has just been published in SR.

Bill

As regards ‘The Book’ in preparation, it is likely to be another Four volumes…..as we have so much quality material.

We shall use exactly the same format as NA – TCW in terms of size, each volume around 240 pages, 11” x 11”, but probably not presented as a box set.(in my reply I said that I hoped they would reconsider this as the slip case was a really nice feature of the Never Again set)

We are aiming to go to print early – mid 2021. I guess it was inevitable as there was so much really good material that we did not use first time around and in the intervening couple of years so much more has come to light, scanned and unearthed from MNA collections. The scope will be much wider in terms of geography and routes so more of the earlier stuff from the late 50’s and early 60’s, essentially preceeding the MNA years.

The books will contain less text than in NA-TCW, so very much more strengthening the pictorial aspect, both colour and B&W with expanded captions to support each picture and provide supporting context where necessary. We have now very close to finalising the picture selections for each of the 100+ sub-sections. I have already done the draft layouts for around 400 pages and I’m sure you will be please to know that ‘The Waverley’ runs to 52 pages.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
On 20/03/2021 at 11:47, Jonhayes said:

Website has been updated.  Six more books to come.  3 in the summer and the other 3 later in the year.  The website is accepting expressions of interest.  Can’t wait!

Could you supply a link please?  I've tried this - https://www.mnabooks.com - but all that appears is 'Never Again Publishing Ltd'  and an email address.

Bill

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Bill Jamieson said:

Could you supply a link please?  I've tried this - https://www.mnabooks.com - but all that appears is 'Never Again Publishing Ltd'  and an email address.

Bill

"Meanwhile, to register your interest in purchasing one or both box
sets, please send your details to sales@mnabooks.com and we will
 put you on our
 priority list."

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

"Meanwhile, to register your interest in purchasing one or both box
sets, please send your details to sales@mnabooks.com and we will
 put you on our
 priority list."

Many thanks for that, I have duly registered interest.

Bill

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I was in touch with Bob Clarke at the weekend and he told me that delivery of the books (I presume from Poland) was expected in a few days, with distribution following immediately if the printing was up to scratch. It's odd  that the website hasn't been updated yet but perhaps the delivery has been delayed slightly.

Bill

Edited by Bill Jamieson
  • Thanks 1

I was in touch with Bob Clarke at the weekend and he told me that delivery of the books (I presume from Poland) was expected in a few days, with distribution following immediately if the printing was up to scratch. It's odd  that the website hasn't been updated yet but perhaps the delivery has been delayed slightly.

Bill

Still trying to find an artic driver?

The MNA Books website has now been updated:-

We have books!

We are delighted to announce that our consignment of Never Again – Encore three-volume box sets has arrived at our distribution centre in Wolverhampton. We are now carrying out a quality check to ensure that the product meets the exacting technical standards that our customers expect and deserve.

We have books – update!

The sets we have examined so far are of outstanding quality, so we are planning to start distribution on 13th Sept. We will be using Parcelforce, as before. It will  take a little time for us to pack, label and despatch the large number of advance orders we have received, so please be patient!

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

You just can't trust anyone anymore, can you.

They said never again - and what happens? 

They go and do it again.

What a wonderful collection of images - and the occasional splash of colour really lifts the black and white imaging into a higher plane.

Well done (again) to the Master Neverers!

Edited by Osgood

• RMweb Gold
On 21/09/2021 at 16:29, Osgood said:

You just can't trust anyone anymore, can you.

They said never again - and what happens? 

They go and do it again.

What a wonderful collection of images - and the occasional splash of colour really lifts the black and white imaging into a higher plane.

Well done (again) to the Master Neverers!

Well said.  I received mine yesterday and all I can add is “wow” and “thank you “ to the MNA for sharing these wonderful images.

• Agree 1

Mine arrived this morning. Superb! Only looked at Volume 5 so far - took me back to 1965 or so, when shots from some of the gentlemen involved appeared in Railway World most months, thanks to Mr. Gifford. At the time it was all a revelation to me, because not only were the shots very imaginative, but also RW's paper quality (and Colin's oversight) was better than the Railway Magazine's.     

One of the best things about this set is that lots of negatives have never been printed before, but this has now been remedied.

And now on to the last set, hurrah - I think I'm going to have to underpin my foundations though :training:  

• Like 1

Simply superb.

Even if parcel force had gouged a hole in the side, which concerned me at first, but thanks to it being double boxed, the product inside was completely unscathed. 

these are superb books. the best i have in my collection. 

well done to all, can't wait for the finale set. 

thanks to Phil Bullock for bringing these to our attention in the first place!

• Agree 1