A New Home for Portchullin....................

Modelling time has been in a premium for a bit; partly as a result of the layout's exhibition commitments, some to do with work but also because Portchullin is getting a new home!

Its present home is in the attic and as I live in an old house, this is accessed by a very tight staircase. Getting it home from an exhibition late on a Sunday night, possibly after a long drive and certainly a weekend standing on my feet was a chore. Therefore, after some considerable time of negotiating with the planning authorities (both the domestic ones and the councils) permission was granted for a 5.5m * 3.5m summer house. This is not quite large enough for Portchullin but it is only one of the fiddle yard boards that does not fit and by careful selection of the appropriate summer house, this can be set up through the entrance doors when required.

So here we are with the current efforts.............

post-7769-0-82943300-1335809394_thumb.jpg

post-7769-0-61782900-1335809412_thumb.jpg

As you can see, the fact that it has rained every day since the damn thing was delivered has not been missed. Don't worry, it will be roofed in by the end of next weekend so you can assume that the weather will be rubbish in East surrey until Monday, when it will turn fine again!

It will be a real boon getting the layout up in its entirity - if you keep your eyes on the quality model press in a few weeks, you will see that I have a lot to say about any silly b****r who builds a layout that is too big to set up in their home.................

Edited by Portchullin Tatty
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Mark,

Good luck with the new summer house - and I thought tidying the garage out so I could get some progress going in Kilbrannan Ferry over Easter was extreme! Enjoyed the photos on the other side (Highland Miscellany on S4 Forum) and looking forward to seeing Portchullin in the (revered whisper) Journal in a few weeks. I was going to ask how your LMS stock aquisition is progressing so you can dial up the time machine in the new railway empire you're building?!

Regards

Gus

Edited by Rannoch Moor

I was going to ask how your LMS stock aquisition is progressing so you can dial up the time machine in the new railway empire you're building?!

Regards

Gus

Slowly!!

Having more or less deserted the family for the various sojurns with the layout in Feb/March, I have had to largely ignore it since to ensure divorce does not come my way.

Once the summer house is at least water-tight (this weekend I hope), I have some signals to build for the Rail Express Elcot Road, then I can get back to proper stuff!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

To bits of news from today.

Firstly there is a lengthy feature in the Model Railway Journal on Portchullin - I hope you enjoy it!

Secondly, we topped out the summer house (aka railway room) today. At last it is dry inside it and whilst it still needs work to finish it, the end is nigh and it really is time to allow the plans for new layouts to start to get hold............

• RMweb Premium

Really like this layout, even though I've never actually seen it; and looking forward to receiving my MRJ.

Do you have any more exhibitions scheduled?

Thanks,

Dave.T

Do you have any more exhibitions scheduled?

Cheers for your messages, Dave and the others.

The next few shows Portchullin is booked for are:

13/14 October 2012 - Farnham & District (
Aldershot
)

16 February 2013 – Tonbridge

March 2013 - Ally Pally

I hope you enjoy the piece in MRJ.
Edited by Portchullin Tatty

Hi Mark,

I know p4 track is much more to scale in 4 mm but I'm impressed that your using actual railway sleepers for your nice new Summer house. Great attention to detail!

It is nice to have the space to get your layout up in full in a comfortable room or space to work in or just to run trains. The problem is the more space the bigger than plans become. Hope the rest of the build goes well for you.

All the best

Mark

The problem is the more space the bigger than plans become. Hope the rest of the build goes well for you.

Too true!

I have even put a set of doors at the end so the fiddle yard can reside externally and only be put up for operating sessions!!

I am trying to resist designing the next one until its new home is complete (and I have completed a rewire on Portchullin - I am fed up with my hodge podge wiring!)

• RMweb Gold

A bit slow picking up the MRJ, but seeing Portchullin in this edition prompted me to purchase said magazine.

Very impressive stuff and very well written.

Look forward to seeing in the flesh at some point in the future - will probably make to the trip to Ally Pally next year.

Thanks for your replies guys; I am pleased you liked the article - I did try to be honest on both the successes and the failures. As someone here uses as their avatar, only those that have never done anything have never made a mistake!!

Here are a few photos taken in the last few months that did not get into the articel. With thanks to our Mr york for one and Ian Ford for the last two:

post-7769-0-06946300-1339622315_thumb.jpg

post-7769-0-22019600-1339622333_thumb.jpg

post-7769-0-79175700-1339622357_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• 3 weeks later...

Mark,

I was very impressed by the MRJ article and pleased to find you here on RMWeb (mainly pleased that I can pick your brains...).

What's the walling material used on the signal cabins and the goods shed, i.e. the one with the raised strips over the planking joints? I'm doing a similar building myself and don't fancy sticking on hundreds of lengths of Microstrip, and I presume you didn't either and found a ready made alternative - or got very bored in the process.

Regards,

Chris Veitch

What's the walling material used on the signal cabins and the goods shed,

Hi Chris,

I made the goods shed and I did stick on miles of mircrostrip to acheive the beading!! It was not as bad as all that, but certainly took a few hours.

The signal cabins were made for me by Peter Bond, I know he did use a proprietary material and I will ask him what it was/where it can be got from. I'll come back to you.

Cheers for your comments and I am pleased you liked the article too.

Hi Chris,

I made the goods shed and I did stick on miles of mircrostrip to acheive the beading!! It was not as bad as all that, but certainly took a few hours.

The signal cabins were made for me by Peter Bond, I know he did use a proprietary material and I will ask him what it was/where it can be got from. I'll come back to you.

Cheers for your comments and I am pleased you liked the article too.

Thanks Mark - Evergreen sheet has been suggested to me and it certainly looks the part, so I'll be giving it a go.

Regards,

Chris

• 2 months later...

Aghh, I note I have not posted any pictures of the completed new home for Portchullin (ooops sorry) Summer House. I'll sort that in a few days!!

Really a posting to say that Portchullin with be at the Farnham & District Show on 13 & 14 October - details of which are here http://farnhammrc.org.uk/?page_id=102

post-7769-0-19374000-1348527578_thumb.jpg

After this show, there will be a bit of a wait and then we are in Tonbridge in Feb and Ally Pally in March. The highland stock will be reappearing at one of the 2013 shows, just not sure whcih one yet!

• Like 7

After this show, there will be a bit of a wait and then we are in Tonbridge in Feb and Ally Pally in March. The highland stock will be reappearing at one of the 2013 shows, just not sure whcih one yet!

Fantastic! I'm also there with 'Kinmundy', my 1968 ex GNSR project, and I'll get to see your lovely layout at last!