• 1 month later...

I liked the detail of the surronding scene. How loong time did you spent on this project!?

Sorry, I missed this post when you made it.

The layout took around 18 months to build; although I have tinkered with it from time to time since and there are still things I need to do.  A number of the buildings had also been completed for a long time prior to this.

Actually, the general ground cover did not take that long to make.  The formation was created with woven bits of card on foamboard supports an covered with plaster/glue impregnated cloth.  The rocks (including the regular rock outcrops) are formed with cork bark with car body filler to tinker with them a bit.  The vegetation was a combination of various mats from International Models, several grades of ground foam and then static grass.  Whilst the glue was wet, i tended to put more foam down and also to depress the grass a bit - it all builds up the random, natural look I was after.  There are no manicured lawns in the countryside!  I reckon this portion took maybe 4-5 days overall.

• Like 1

Thanks for saying so.

As Martin points out, the layout will be at York in a few months time.  Its next few outings are:

Hope to see lots of RMwebbers there!

Will see you at Trainwest and probably York: I am helping operate White Oak Light Railway at Trainwest and (subject to trains) Halfway at York ;-)

• 2 months later...

post-7769-0-32743800-1396990074_thumb.jpg

Portchullin will shortly be going on tour with a double header exhibition.

This weekend, 12 & 13 April, we will be at Trainwest – http://www.trainwest.org.uk/

……and the forthcoming weekend we will be at York – http://www.yorkshow.org.uk/

I have been fettling the layout over the last weekend and sorted out the couple of issues that it had – a burnt out turnout motor and a melted servo control unit.  I am hoping to have at least one additional item of stock (a DMU for specials) and one other for York (a further class 26).

Stop by and say hello if you are going to these show.

Photo with thanks to Andy York

Edited by Portchullin Tatty
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to seeing Portchullin again this weekend (I'm there helping DLT on Bridport Town).

This is one of my favourite layouts and a major highlight at Warley last year.

I'll come over a say hello over the weekend.

Are you setting up Friday night?

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to seeing Portchullin again this weekend (I'm there helping DLT on Bridport Town).

This is one of my favourite layouts and a major highlight at Warley last year.

I'll come over a say hello over the weekend.  Are you setting up Friday night?

Portchullin is one of my favourites too, and I will be seeing it for the first time.

I attended the excellent Trainwest on Sunday and enjoyed the exhibition.

I had not been following this thread so to see Portchullin was a pleasant surprise.

I made a handfull of Scottish excursions in the 1970s and 1980s and the layout captures the atmosphere wonderfully.

The uniformity of colour of the landscape and general lack of human activity sets the scene nicely.

I am not normally a fan of sound fitted locos but here the sound of the Sulzer engines really worked as the station briefly became busy.

The driving of the trains was well executed with slow and steady departures and the loco sounds receding as the trains departed

to leave the station to resume its slumbers, and the porter to doze on the bench in the sunshine.

It really took me back, I could almost smell the creosote of the wooden sleepers.

Many thanks 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It really took me back, I could almost smell the creosote of the wooden sleepers.

I'm sure I could smell the heather and the whisky!

First time I has seen Portchullin, and I was mightily impressed.  I never thought I would feel nostalgic about the BR Blue period, but I'm finding I appreciate it more and more.

Like Rivercider, I am not a huge fan of sound, but it works brilliantly in this context.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1

Thanks DLT & Rivercider for your comments.

I have very consciously tried to put nostalgia into Portchullin's portrayal as I too hark back to them days - when it never rained, somehow the midge bites did not itch so much and you could stick your head out of the vestibule window to get a good dose of Sulzer noise & fumes!  I am pleased it works.

There will be another dose of the same at York this weekend.  Stop by and say hello if you are visiting - bring a whisky too and you will be even more popular!

• Like 2