• 2 weeks later...

A little over a week to go to Watford, so a couple of pictures to remind myself (they layout is not generally put up at home - it is too big!) of what it looks like (photos with thanks to Andy Y & Philip Hall):

post-7769-0-16759000-1328742465_thumb.jpg

And also a reminder that on Sunday 26 Feb at Glasgow, we are going to go Highland for the day. So the blue boxes (!) will be put away for the day and things will look a little more like this:

post-7769-0-89043400-1328742535_thumb.jpg

post-7769-0-20237300-1328743353_thumb.jpg

I have been kindly offered the loan of a couple of people's locos for the day. The present expected count of Highland locos is 15 and there is the prospect of one or two more.

This is undoubtedly going to be the largest gathering of Highland locos in P4 ever and might well be the largest gathering in any scale or gauge. So if you want to see Straths, lochs, bens, yankee tanks, banking tanks, a jones goods, clans, superheated goods, medium goods, barneys and the like, best get to Glasgow on the Sunday!

Edited by Portchullin Tatty
  • Like 16

fantastic layout - only thing it really needs is a few more pages of pictures to show it off.

Talking of which, any chance I can request a picture of the banking tank on your layout. I have been planning a highland layout myself (for far too many years) and as a result of buying a few relevant books I have developed a bit of a soft spot for these.

.................can request a picture of the banking tank on your layout.

Yes, I should be able to do that. I do not own one (well not one that has made it out of a box of parts!) but I beleive there will be two loaned to me at Glasgow, so I shall make sure the camera is out. Keep you eye on the thread in a few of weeks time.

Especially if it provokes you into building a Highland layout!!!

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

Its great to read about your layout progress on here, its very much been a layout that I have enjoyed seeing and even better that you are coming to Glasgow. I will be there with the Scottish Modellers crowd so will be able to see it in both its blue period and I'll have to take another look on the Sunday as well so will come and say hello then,

All the best,

Mark

...................so will come and say hello then,

I look forward to saying hello and thanks (both to Mark and the other posters) for your comments. Portchullin's next stop after Watford and Glasgow will be Nottingham (http://www.rmweb.co....__fromsearch__1), after which I have a rest planned for a few months..........!!!

Maybe my daydreaming will interupt the rest though, I do have a hankering for a new one..............

post-7769-0-78024800-1329071532.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am safely north of the border ready for Model Rail.

A reminder that Friday or Saturday are the days you want if you like the dirty blue boxes (!!!), like this:

post-7769-0-52773600-1329822663.jpg

or Sunday if you like green or red kettles like this:

post-7769-0-01227800-1329822572.jpg

both photos with thinks to Dave Keeler and also thanks to Simon de Souza for the medium goods................first time one of those has made it onto RMweb?

Look forward to seeing you all - happy to answer questions by the way (on boxes or kettles!), the lighting pelmet does slightly obsure the operators but we are all here!!

• Like 6

Hi

Saw your layout at the Glasgow show today; absolutely brilliant, realistic rendition of an area I know well. The photos are excellent, but the 3D version blows even them away.....outstanding. I intended to say hello and make the comments in person, but you looked too busy.....sorry!

Ian

Hi

Saw your layout at the Glasgow show today; absolutely brilliant, realistic rendition of an area I know well. The photos are excellent, but the 3D version blows even them away.....outstanding. I intended to say hello and make the comments in person, but you looked too busy.....sorry!

Ian

Agree pretty much with the above posting, saw your layout on Friday at Glasgow and will again tomorrow, and the pictures here are superb but nothing compared to in real life.

The DCC audio soundtrack of type 2s just made it all the sweeter.

Guest Natalie Graham

Ooh I wish I could go again tomorrow to see the steam locos running on there. Grand layout though, it was lovely to see it for real.

• RMweb Gold

Mark,

Dropped by yesterday a couple of times to say hello but you were absent or busy with other fans! Still all looking great though, and it was great to take the "time machine" back to '74 and immerse myself in the Sulzer warble! (I could almost feel the scratching of the heather stalks on the back of my legs and hear the curlews burbling in the overhead during the (short) periods between trains!

Disappointed to not make it for today's HR extavaganza - hope all went well,

Regards

Gus

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark,

I'm now really looking forward to seeing Portchullin at our show (Nottingham) next weekend. It seems an age since we first saw it and started 'negotiations' with you. It's been a long wait - well, a lot longer than either of us initially envisaged, but I'm sure it'll be well worth it.

You'll be in good company in your part of the hall: several RM Webbers with Scottish layouts ! Hopefully, I'll get time for several excursions from the office to come up for some barrier leaning sessions.

See you in a few days.

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

Star of the circuit for me too over the past couple of years, but only in blue diesel mode I hasten to add! Can I make one plea for the forthcoming season? Seaweed/tideline/lichen/mussels/limpets are all needed along the waterline area to make the exceptional, perfect!

Can I make one plea for the forthcoming season? Seaweed/tideline/lichen/mussels/limpets are all needed along the waterline area to make the exceptional, perfect!

Yes, you are correct this is something I have not done yet (Glen Uig is rather better in this regard for example). Also the rocks tend to be almost black on the foreshore between the tide lines.

You are prompting me to think about this and the other items on the "too do list"!

Cheers!

Yes, I should be able to do that. I do not own one (well not one that has made it out of a box of parts!) but I beleive there will be two loaned to me at Glasgow, so I shall make sure the camera is out. Keep you eye on the thread in a few of weeks time.

Especially if it provokes you into building a Highland layout!!!

Its been a little time coming I know (sorry!), but here is your picture of a banking tank..............

post-7769-0-72261300-1334528487_thumb.jpg

They are rather beasts aren't they!?!?! Keep your eyes on my "Highland Miscellany" thread, I have one underway and will put some photos up when I get a chance.

Loco by Jim MacKenzie and photograph by Ray Nolton. Cheers guys!

• Like 3

Wow a Clan Goods, sadly you don't see them modelled very often , your layout is stunning and at Warley it was one of the few I could stand for hours and watch. Are we going to see more steam appearing - say a Cumming class 73?

What you mean one like this............................?

post-7769-0-59259800-1334528804_thumb.jpg

Sometimes called the 73 class (as Blandford1969 has pointed out) but more often just known by their names - Snaigow or Durn. These 4-4-0's designed by Christopher Cummings (possibly only notionally as much of the design was probably done by the manufacturers Hwthorne Leslie) were primarilly used on the heavy mail trains to Wick & Thurso.

Again, the model is by Jim Mackenzie and the photograph is by Ray Nolton.

• Like 6

Its been a little time coming I know (sorry!), but here is your picture of a banking tank..............

post-7769-0-72261300-1334528487_thumb.jpg

They are rather beasts aren't they!?!?! Keep your eyes on my "Highland Miscellany" thread, I have one underway and will put some photos up when I get a chance.

Loco by Jim MacKenzie and photograph by Ray Nolton. Cheers guys!

Many thanks for posting the image. It was well worth the (short) wait since my initiail request. I dont know what it is about them that appeals to me so much but I think they look lovely!.

Both the photo, the model and the entire layout are up there at the highest quality levels I have seen. Fantastic work by everyone I think!