Remind me Paul, how is your layout getting along.......???

Not as well as the motorbikes this year Mark ;-)

They were very useful visiting the GWSR at Toddington last weekend...

Cheers

Flymo

(not getting enough modelling done, but who cares..)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Gosh it is a long time since I have written anything on this topic; sorry guys.  But fear not, Portchullin is not dead and is still going to shows.  Its next exhibition may not be the furthest it has travelled but it will definitely be a first for the layout and indeed myself – an exhibition on the continent.  In this case Modelspoor 2018 which takes place on the 23 – 25 February in the Euroteco Centre, Houten, near Utrecht in the Netherlands.

To the Anglo-Saxons amongst us, do not be put off by the website being written in Dutch.  Basically almost everyone in the Netherlands speaks good English (embarrassingly perfect English typically) and it is a really easy country to travel around, engage with people and see what they have to offer.  Although I have not been to Modelspoor before I have heard a lot about it – think Warley x 3 seems to be the gist of it (which may be a bit much in truth!).  However, it has a core of “finescale” from across Europe to which I was very flattered to be invited and I hear is worth seeing in any case.

post-7769-0-80699900-1518460804_thumb.jpg

And of seeing Portchullin is a sufficient excuse to high-tail it over to Holland, coming in the van will also be Oly’s Six Quarters layout.  In contrast to the fresh air of the west of Scotland, Six Quarters has air laced with Cumbrian coal dust and grime!

post-7769-0-56832500-1518460660_thumb.jpg

There are a number of other very good layouts there, including Jerry Clifford’s Highclere Colliery (under a new name I hear) and Gordon Gravett’s Arun Quay.  Se even if you don’t fancy Portchullin or Six Quarters much (shame on you), it is still worth a visit.

So if anyone that reads this thread (either of you!) is over in Holland in a couple of weeks time, do pop over and say hello!

post-7769-0-59210100-1518460872_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

So convince the wife to have another weekend in Amsterdam - simple

Convince the wife that me disappearing for a day is to a model exhibition is OK not so sure, I have more chance of her visiting the red light district than setting foot in a model railway exhibition.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi there.

Well if you talk her into it you come out of the main entrance of the railway station, cross the road and go down the main drag. Take the first left and cross the canal bridge and you're in the red light district.   

What can I say I did a stint as a coach courier on European coach tours for 18-30s antipodeans and it was always the first question they asked   :angel: 

Regards Lez.Z. 

Hi there.

Well if you talk her into it you come out of the main entrance of the railway station, cross the road and go down the main drag. Take the first left and cross the canal bridge and you're in the red light district.   

What can I say I did a stint as a coach courier on European coach tours for 18-30s antipodeans and it was always the first question they asked   :angel: 

Regards Lez.Z.

I know where the Red Light district is, it sits between my usual hotel in Centraal and my favourite bar

• RMweb Gold

Gosh it is a long time since I have written anything on this topic; sorry guys.  But fear not, Portchullin is not dead and is still going to shows.  Its next exhibition may not be the furthest it has travelled but it will definitely be a first for the layout and indeed myself – an exhibition on the continent.  In this case Modelspoor 2018 which takes place on the 23 – 25 February in the Euroteco Centre, Houten, near Utrecht in the Netherlands.

To the Anglo-Saxons amongst us, do not be put off by the website being written in Dutch.  Basically almost everyone in the Netherlands speaks good English (embarrassingly perfect English typically) and it is a really easy country to travel around, engage with people and see what they have to offer.  Although I have not been to Modelspoor before I have heard a lot about it – think Warley x 3 seems to be the gist of it (which may be a bit much in truth!).  However, it has a core of “finescale” from across Europe to which I was very flattered to be invited and I hear is worth seeing in any case.

attachicon.gif04_5127+26046_13859-65-sml.jpg

And of seeing Portchullin is a sufficient excuse to high-tail it over to Holland, coming in the van will also be Oly’s Six Quarters layout.  In contrast to the fresh air of the west of Scotland, Six Quarters has air laced with Cumbrian coal dust and grime!

attachicon.gifimg_7051.jpg

There are a number of other very good layouts there, including Jerry Clifford’s Highclere Colliery (under a new name I hear) and Gordon Gravett’s Arun Quay.  Se even if you don’t fancy Portchullin or Six Quarters much (shame on you), it is still worth a visit.

So if anyone that reads this thread (either of you!) is over in Holland in a couple of weeks time, do pop over and say hello!

attachicon.gif13_26046_yard_13930-3-sml.jpg

Hello Mark.

Has Oly recovered from building that railway across Scotland yet? :jester:

• RMweb Gold

10/11 November in Spalding is the next UK invite.

Not sure Spalding has a red light district though, sorry to disappoint you!

Glossing over the Red light districts a moment, check your calendar Mark as I see the Spalding exhibition is the weekend 3/4 November :jester:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

10/11 November in Spalding is the next UK invite.

Not sure Spalding has a red light district though, sorry to disappoint you!

Just caught up with this thread, I do hope your not going on the 10/11th November because according to the SMRC advert the Show is tomorrow the 3rd of November and on Sunday 4th November..

Wonderfull Modelling I do Hope I see you there!!

Edited by TheQ

• 2 years later...
On 12/02/2018 at 18:43, Portchullin Tatty said:

post-7769-0-80699900-1518460804_thumb.jpg

post-7769-0-56832500-1518460660_thumb.jpg

post-7769-0-59210100-1518460872_thumb.jpg

May I ask what shade(s) of paint you used for the platform surfaces? These look absolutely spot-on for the Kyle line. I'm building a model of Plockton myself, and I'm having some difficulty achieving this appearance. Your modelling is first-class, by the way.

Regards,

Josh W

22 hours ago, josh_will said:

May I ask what shade(s) of paint you used for the platform surfaces? These look absolutely spot-on for the Kyle line. I'm building a model of Plockton myself, and I'm having some difficulty achieving this appearance. Your modelling is first-class, by the way.

Regards,

Josh W

Hi Josh

At over 10 years ago, the memory is fading a bit it was painted with acrylics blended to get to a colour that I thought worked.

If I recall correctly, the core of this was burnt umber but there was then a bit of grey in there as the base colour.  Whilst it was wet, I did blend a little burnt sienna and/or black in local areas where it was less likely to have traffic (as the granite shingle that this is supposed to represent is darker in such locations).  

Then when it was dry I did dry brush to a very moderate degree and then also a bit of weathering powders; notably dirty soot and concrete dust.

I do know I had a couple of cracks at this so I can only recommend playing on a scrap piece and be prepared to go back over it.

Good luck!

Mark

• Informative/Useful 3

• 6 months later...

Really quite late to this thread unfortunately, although aware of the layout. Looks fabulous, although I have not seen it in the 'flesh' so to speak. I would be Interested to know where Josh Will is located, as I am in the fastnesses of west Cardiff, a bit out on a limb rather from the areas which seem to constitute the core of finer-scale modelling in UK. I also have a hankering for a further north Scottish layout, and very much liked the erstwhile 'Kyle of Sutherland' layout, which apparently is no more. This, although my current layout project is based on an (ex-Caledonian) Edinburgh location. Nearly 10 years in the Scottish capital had more of an effect on my modelling inclinations than I realised. Although the appearance of the occasional Stanier Pacific is perhaps a seductive prospect, there is a certain attraction to some of the pre-Grouping locomotive types, and the prospect of modelling a more rural location. A 'less is more' approach to (hopefully) producing a better model railway.