Cambrian transfers, and some wagons, in 3mm/ft

NCB

• RMweb Premium

Here's a snap of some Cambrian wagons I've built in 3mm/ft:

post-26119-0-70013900-1512407884_thumb.jpg

The brake van and 2-plank dropside wagon were scratch-built by me; the latter utilises a modified Slater's 9' wooden underframe. The coal wagon has a body from Coast Line Models, together with springs and buffers, and an etched underframe done by myself.

The transfers come from a sheet which I drew up for the 3mm Society. Last year I was investigating possible ways of obtaining Cambrian transfers in 3mm, and found that the 3mm Society was investigating routes for getting low volume waterslide transfers done in 3mm at an economic price. Put the two together, and I ended up spending last winter happily drawing up the artwork for some Cambrian wagons, to use as a test of the favoured route. The result was a set of transfers, as much as I could cram onto an A6 sheet, covering 2 and 4 plank open wagons, the 15T coal wagon, inside-framed brake vans, covered vans and timber wagons. I'm fairly pleased with the results; given the small size I wondered if some of the artwork would be too fine, but it comes out OK.

Nigel

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Excellent work, Nigel. Any news on the M Class?

David

Hi David

Had a break from modelling in the summer and apart from the trying out the transfers haven't really got around to doing much since, although I do have nearly finished baseboards in the railway room to complete the existing layout. The big thing on the M are the boiler fittings, mainly chimney and dome, and at the moment I'm looking into Blender and Turbocad to see if I can produce 3D prints. I have somebody who'll do them for me if I wish, but I think I want the challenge of getting the hang of 3D printing! I'm hoping to get things sorted over the next couple of months.  Other than those, the M is close to being finished; I've been running it a few times and it certainly goes nicely.

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nigel,

I'm just so pleased to see some very decent 3mm scale modelling getting exposure here. My 2mm Scale Association colleagues have made RMweb a prominent shop front for the scale but the 3mm scale section is only a pale shadow. It is an excellent scale and deserves better. I have done a little modelling in 14.2 and I would like to do some more if it can squeeze in around 2mm activities. I've been a lapsed member of the 3mm Society for the last couple of years after twenty odd years of membership but I can feel an urge to rejoin coming on!

David

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Following the coal wagon, I've built another couple of Quarryscape's (Coast Line Models) Cambrian wagon bodies in 3mm, this pair of 2-plank fixed-side wagons:

post-26119-0-98873500-1520373595.jpg

Think they've come out well. I used a typical Cambrian 9' unfitted chassis which I had etched. Currently they're painted in Precision General Purpose Primer; I have other things on the go at the moment so they'll have to wait to be finished off.

Nigel

• Like 1