Scale Mines Diorama

Bergmann

Hello everyone,

for some years I build a model of the visitor mine Klostersstollen in Barsinghausen. I focus on the entrance to the mine. At fairs, I was asked again and again how it looks under the earth. When I heard about the Cakebox challenge, I thought it would be a good idea to show scenes from the mine.

Here for information only a picture of the model more Picture on may Homepage: http://www.design-hsb.de

berggl03m.jpg

And a picture of what I want to realize in the Cakebox Challenge:

StollenAusmauerung.jpg

Sorry Google has translated automatically, so I have corrected in English.

Edited by Bergmann
  • Like 15

Sorry Google has translated automatically, so I have corrected in English.

At the moment I'm waiting for an appointment, where I can measure and photograph everything in the mine on site.

Edited by Bergmann
  • Like 1

Hello everyone,

i have mastered my first challenge, unfortunately there are no 8 inch cakeboxes in Germany.

What I'm a modeler and so I have built a model cakebox made of 1.5 mm MDF in scale 1:1. But see for yourself:

The components.

CakeBox01.jpg

The box itself.

CakeBox02.jpg

Edited by Bergmann
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

in the meantime I have collected the first parts for my personal cake box Challenge.

The idea is to use existing material. Here is my mine car in scale 1: 22.5 on a piece of track with 26.7 mm gauge.

CakeBoxGW00.jpg

In addition, a friend once scanned me in a miner's work clothes with a 3D scanner, here's the 3D expression.

CakeBoxGW01.jpg

I hope to use the holidays to be able to sign a template for my model. Because in the meantime I was in the mine and measured everything exactly.

Edited by Bergmann
  • Like 16

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

in the meantime I have drawn a draft.

CakeBox03.jpg

The design shows the bricked beginning of the gallery from 1871. I have drawn the masonry and added a photo of the original.

I would then engrave the masonry in MDF, or rather recycle 5 mm MDF packaging. Everything should of course fit completely in a cake box, but will still consist of a box open to the front. Of course, this illuminates the impression of a mine reinforce.

The button with the green ring is an even-handed button with the case that a small show is designed and is only for the small presentation. For this I am powered by a test purposes microcontroller of the battery powered by electricity. The few SMD LEDs will hardly consume power. I believe that the question is solved in any case by a power supply.

Was not that you?

Edited by Bergmann
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

after having worked a lot on the digitization of the Klosterstollen model lately, and this is running to my satisfaction, I would like to continue my Cakebox model.

I have engraved the first wall parts required and also provided a primer. The joints all gray and the bricks in a yellow-red.

CakeBox04.jpg

At the weekend, the remaining required plates are also made of MDF.

Edited by Bergmann
  • Like 7

Many Thanks,

in the meantime, I have constructed further parts and milled them on the CNC machine. Of course, first of all, only the bricks with their joints and the outer contour of the components. Directly on the CNC machine I have painted all joints with acrylic paint gray. This is like a primer and first improves the MDF. With the roller shown in the picture then follows another primer in the stone color.
CakeBox05.jpg
For this I give a few drops of ocher and brick red on a glass plate. With the roller, the color is only roughly mixed by rolling and then rolled onto the MDF.
As desired, the color only reaches the raised areas, giving the stones a very beautiful, irregular base tone in the brick color.
CakeBox06.jpg
The many stone strips are intended for the reproduction of the lining of the tunnel.

Next up is the pedestal on which the track is coming, which, of course, will get a cavity by placing the OC32NG, which will then be responsible for the animation.

• Like 2

In the meantime, I have made the wall parts and the stone strips for the tunnel and put them together for the test. Of course also the cobblestone with "Schlegel and Eisen" and the year 1871.
I would like to use the diagonal to get as much track length as possible. In addition, by the slope of the insight in the actually much too short studs are not so accurate that are in the original finally 25m.

CakeBox07.jpg
What do you think?

• Like 10

Yes, I have been able to buy a used CNC engraving machine that used to be used to make signs. With CAD software I create HPGL files that control the machine. In this case, I have a photo of the tunnel behind it and the stones individually drawn over it. Also to get the irregular picture of the stones. Now I'm just thinking about whether I lay the track diagonally or parallel in the cake box.

This type of mine cars are emptied in a rotary tipper.

Edited by Bergmann

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

here's something from my workbench for my Cakebox project.

CakeBox08.jpg

Meanwhile, I have been able to finish the lining of the tunnel.

The goal is a functional model of 8 X 8 X 6 inches.

Frame size IIf, scale is 1: 22.5 and the track width is 26.7 mm.

Edited by Bergmann
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

in the meantime, the shell for my BRM Cakebox model has been completed.

CakeBox10.jpg
For the rehearsal I put the self-built of my BBA mining locomotive in scene.

CakeBox11.jpg

CakeBox12.jpg

CakeBox09.jpg

Everything is to be disguised later so that as a sight and insight only the front view remains.

Edited by Bergmann
  • Like 10

I've used the weekend to build the model, of course it's not finished yet and especially in the photo is merciless to see where needs to be reworked. But try makes smart and it should go on. So a little bit of color and a little bit of gravel make up a lot.

CakeBox13.jpg

On the far right is my first attempt to model rocks.

• Like 8

From a friend I got the tip to cover the RGB LEDs with a yellow filter. For this I have just painted the RGB LED's with transparent yellow color.

CakeBox16.jpg

Here you can see the result:

CakeBox15.jpg

Edited by Bergmann
  • Like 10

Thank you for the positive feedback, because for me it is important to see if you see it that way.

My mine model has a real role model in my place of residence. It is important to me to set this as natural as possible. Since it is a visitor mine, in which also functions of mining are demonstrated, I would like to do this in my model so. This will include a pit guide / miner who explain the place to the visitors and demonstrates the function.

In the original, the meaning of the historic place is explained underground and pulled the mine car with a reel from the tunnel. All this should also happen in my model. For this I need a sound module for the explanation and the noise of the moving mine car. Of course, this has to happen synchronously with the model's procedure. To realize all this I started to install the electronics.

Since everything has to fit into the 8 X 8 X 6 inch Cakebox for the challenge, that's not all that easy. For the power supply is a battery pack with 12 volts installed, but that can be switched on and off via a switch. In addition, the switch has another position in which an external power supply can be turned on. This is the first time the power supply is secured.

CakeBox17.jpg

The central control of all processes is carried out by a Dinamo OC32-NG. This is a freely configurable sequence control system for model railroads with 32 I / O inputs and outputs. Since I have a resistance bank in the first bank, I can use it as an input, servo output or to drive a Led. I am already in a model making servo with which I would like to move the mine car. Since such a servo also requires 5 volts, there is the additional board SP04, which suppresses the servo signal and is responsible for the 5 volt power supply. But I also need 5 V DC for the AVT sound module which I also connected to the SP04.

CakeBox18.jpg

Everything can be triggered later by the viewer himself by pressing the button on the front itself. In addition, there is a board with relays that serve security and exclude incorrect operation. Because even if the start button on the front is pressed several times, it must not come to any malfunction.

I have begun to wire the cable, but only finally complete the wiring when the servo is firmly mounted.

Since I also follow the other Cakebox projects, I realize that my contribution from the scale 1: 22.5 on the electronics is a little different, quite apart from even in a mine.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Time for an update.

In the original with a compressed air driven reel, a pit car is pulled out of the tunnel at the demo-site. Such a reel is of course not as a model, reason and chance to build this reel itself. Unfortunately, at the moment there are no options available to draw such a reel in 3 d in order to have it printed. Only my hobby is model making and I prefer to do everything with my possibilities myself. I was able to buy a engraving machine that produced a company called badges. This machine can be controlled via HPGL character files, which I can generate with a 2 D CAD software.

So I create just a lot of items which then assemble to a whole.

CakeBox19.jpg

The parts for the reel model.

CakeBox20.jpg

CakeBox21.jpg

Shell of the reel as screws I used for mounting M0, 6 model screws and cut the tapped holes by hand.

There are still some very small parts that I would like to create but I am satisfied.

• Like 5

CakeBox22.jpg

Meanwhile I was able to complete the model of the compressed air reel as you can see and it is now complete.

The fact that I arranged the track diagonally in the middle because of the largest possible length, the wall also yields a wider width for thrust. As a result, the water basin is still visible and so I have built it as well.

CakeBox23.jpg

First I engraved the wall joints for the 3 wall parts with a 0.5 mm cutter in 5 mm thick MDF. 

CakeBox24.jpg

Then I milled the outer contour with a 1.5 mm cutter.

CakeBox25.jpg

First sample of reel and water basin. The reel is now also mounted and blackened on its base plate. In the background the water basin, which in my opinion revalues the scene.

CakeBox26.jpg

Finally, a look at the Cakebox model, which fits perfectly into a cakebox, but is far from finished.

• Like 8