Scale Mines Diorama

Bergmann

Thank you for your appreciation and interest.

In the meantime, I have completed the servo drive for the mine wagon. I used a servo which makes almost 6 turns. The included pulley moves about 500 mm of rope, which is about 100mm which I need far too much. So, I made the smallest possible pulley myself. I need 2 rope drums sitting on a shaft. A rope drum wraps the rope and the other one. The servo shaft has a diameter of 6 mm which results in the core of my shaft from a 7 mm brass tube. As a drum I use 8 mm brass tube which in turn fits on the 7 mm shaft. I fixed a rope drum firmly on the 7 mm shaft and the 2 is twisted bar to be able to clamp the rope.

CakeBox27.jpg

The individual parts for the rope drums.

CakeBox28.jpg

The two individual rope drums.

CakeBox29.jpg

The assembled rope drums.

The model of the compressed air reel serves as a deflecting roller. Due to the size of the Cakebox, however, I have to divert the rope at the end of the tunnel one more time. Actually, wanted to use ball bearing pulleys. Just seemed to me this too elaborate and I have just times 2 mm brass tube which I have bent with a self-made bending device appropriately. As a rope I use 0.5 mm of scale rope from a radio. After the installation I tested it with a Servotester, which was to the full satisfaction.

CakeBox30.jpg

Here is a picture of the mounted compressed air reel with the carbon seam at the bottom left.

The compressed air reel is now mounted and above all coloured, including aging. Since the underground in the mine is made of clay at this point, the compressed air reel is additionally braced with a support against the ceiling. This prop is also part of the model and was rebuilt and aged by me from brass.

Since the miners in the monastery tunnels at this point have stumbled on the coal for the first time and that is still to be seen there today, I have also modelled this with original charcoal from the monastery tunnels.

CakeBox31.jpg

The servo drive with the two rope drums.

CakeBox32.jpg

View through the tunnel to the compressed air reel with the 2mm brass guide tubes.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

As can be seen in the pictures, I have now installed and wired all the electronic components.

CakeBox33.jpg

CakeBox34.jpg

In addition, I have configured the OC32 as the central controller and defined all processes. As you can see on the pictures, I also installed sound modules. An MP3 sound module provides for the original sound of underground rippling all the time. I already reported at the beginning that I have a scanned figure in the clothes of a Bergman. In fact, I have always explained to visitors the guided tours of the peculiarities of this place. So it was natural to do this in the model as well. Now I'm a participant in a British Modelling Competition Cakebox Challenge. Thus, the language should also be English. Only that was not enough for me, why can I not switch the language between German and English. So I wrote down a text in German and translated it into English. Then everything digitally recorded as a WAV file and stored in 4 separate files in a WAV sound module. Once there is the explanation and then warnings that I play separately so that they can run synchronously with the reel noise. Unfortunately, my first reel shots failed me and so I would like to repeat what thanks, the proximity to the monastery gallery is not a problem.

The model can indeed be operated with batteries to comply with the rules, but also to save energy and to protect the environment, I have optionally provided a power adapter.

Now I'm waiting for more figures because I need so well visitors who follow my explanations as a miner. There comes another peculiarity, I get scanned characters from real friends. The receive, then just like the miner, a miner's lamp will burn naturally. Then comes once again, additional wiring to me.

• Like 5

Helmut, that 5 cylinder Ingerson Rand  air winch is absolutely amazing, the only difference between it and the one we had in the Iron Foundry that I worked in for 35 years looks to be ours leaked oil from the drain plug on the gearbox. Fabulous!!!

Oh and we had to reweld the forward/reverse control handle because some ham fisted fitter broke it off in a manner that shall remain undisclosed !

Kevan

• 2 weeks later...
In the meantime, the first Model figures have arrived, because I got the startingset from my wife. However, it is agreed with the persons concerned and they are informed, but all are not active here in this forum either.

CakeBox35.jpg

I already had the figure of myself, and that's why I had already primed it as white.

CakeBox36.jpg

In addition, I also got myself once again as a trains and that also fits much better than the first attempt.

CakeBox37.jpg

Sample in the Cakebox model.

Edited by Bergmann
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just wanted to say that you are a model engineering genius.

The realism and level of model detail is incredible and electronics are mind blowing. Can't say anymore apart from pure perfection.

Mark

• Like 1

Modeling always has to do with a real role model for me, and that's why I always associate a true-to-scale implementation. I believe each of you could do the same, or even better. Because I just looked closely at the model and then tried to implement it. Of course I'm lucky enough to own a CNC engraving machine. The CNC machine I bought cheap used, the most complicated was to learn how to handle it. Likewise, with all other model building activities, the most complicated thing is always to acquire skill and knowledge. I've been modeling for 65 years now and am still learning today. In addition, I am grateful for the suggestions that I received here in the forum for my Cakebox. So my Cakebox model has developed here with the construction progress and suggestions from the forum, because at the beginning I had not thought to build this way, but the ideas grew with the progress of construction. But it also means something to throw away something new and better from the beginning to start. But I thank you for the recognition, it shows me that it is the right way. Family I had a break now, but I hope to continue working on it shortly.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

after heat-free in the workshop and the family-related break, it can finally go on.

CakeBox38.jpg

For the rehearsal I started with the character of mine and set it up for a rehearsal in the Cakebox model. The pit light is already tested and the connection is made via M1,4 threaded bushings in the legs. So the connection can be completely unobtrusive but very reliable.

Visitors can come and wait for their painting and design.

CakeBox39.jpg

The figures are 3D prints of real model trains that I personally know. Of course they were designed to pit suitable. During the search I had made sure that the clothing was ever suitable. So all needed really only a pit helmet of 2K plasticine was modeled. One had unfortunately only a top with short arms, and this could be modeled with the 2K plasticine to a jacket around. Now the primer follows. The wires are also in this case for the pit lights what is spent on the safety of some.

All figures have M1.4 mm threaded bushes in their legs, in 2 figures the figures are again pierced with extra-long drills and 0.5 mm brass wire was drawn in. The 0.5 mm wire is shortened and then the fine connection wires of the SMD Led's can be easily soldered to it.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Inch wise ibe my cloister cake box model completed and submitted to the contest at BRM ,

I took part in the weekend at the Arge narrow gauge EXPO in Gmünd, here my presentation.

CakeBox41.jpg

The model itself is on the cake box which I have pasted with pictures of the image and the model.

The model shows an authentic user guidance, with explanation and move of a mine car. All this was realized by 2 AVT sound modules and a Dinamo OC32 NG.

Edited by Bergmann
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I had already reported and created another current video. In doing so, I implemented an original explanation of the mine leader in the Cake Box model, in German, English and Nederlands. With one of the original sounds of the compressed air reel from the monastery tunnel, a pit truck is also moved in the model.

Click here for the videos: Deutsch English Nederlands

Edited by Bergmann
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
My biggest win is a possible extension of my "Klosterstollen" model.

And so my Cake Box has made its way into the "Klosterstollen" model.

CakeBox42.jpg

To do this, I first sawed a matching neckline into the "Klosterstollen" model.

CakeBox43.jpg

The Cake Box can be inserted into this section from the outside and, of course, electrically connected to the "Klosterstollen" model.

• Like 8

Helmut, that looks fabulous. Do you have photos of the rest of the model?

Since I am currently on the road, here is a first glimpse of my presentation here in the forum. For more, I'd probably have to create my own thread, just where best?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/130593-hello-from-the-klosterstollen/&do=findComment&comment=3052370

Edited by Bergmann
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...