Since Larry went all WR, we don't get to see a succession of lined red coaches and I for one miss them.

So with apologies if anybody has seen them before and to remind Larry what he is missing over on the dark side, I thought I would periodically post some pictures of my LMS and constituent coaches.  I model in the mid 1920's, so most but not all are in period 1 lined livery.  Some are built/painted by myself but some are examples of other's works - there may even be some familiar hand writing to be seen in the future if you look hard.  

Starting with a couple of LNWR full brakes:

post-7769-0-31479800-1512464484_thumb.jpg

To the left is a 42' full brake from London Road Models and to the right the 50' equivalent from an old Microrail kit

post-7769-0-33785100-1512464606_thumb.jpg

This is my fathers' work - a scratchbuilt HR Travelling Post Office.  I have mounted fresh bogies to this of my own concoction - they are etched and have primary and secondary springing (something that I have worked with Justin Newitt on).  They also have have Branchlines wheels with an etched disk to turn them into Mansell wheels).  Shamefully, I must admit that even as I post this they have not yet been painted!

So, as a prompt to others, perhaps they could share pictures of things red?

Edited by Portchullin Tatty
  • Like 16

• 4 weeks later...

And now a pair awaiting painting......

post-7769-0-87581400-1514587559_thumb.jpg

post-7769-0-13955900-1514587619_thumb.jpg

These are Highland Railway in origin; dia 51 Full Brakes.  Built between 1911 and 1917, the last of these made the early 1950s.

It is based on my own artwork where I have tried to make a model that really does go together without needing any fighting (not something that is always true of all the kits I build!).  As version 1 needed a little refinement, I built two test builds (no accusing me of not building my own kits!); one with cupboard doors and one with sliding doors.  One will go in Crimson Lake and the other in Highland Green.  Indeed, the airbrush will be out tomorrow.

If you want to see the test building unfolding, it is best to go to my external blog at www.highlandmiscellany.com.  When the kits are available for sale I will make a notification there too.

• Like 7

• 1 year later...

Next up is the handiwork of Mr Coachman.

post-7769-0-58619400-1547396135_thumb.jpg

This is a D.1778 full brake.  This diagram was constructed between 1925 - 28 and was the standard period 1 design for the LMS.  A 149 were made and they were disbursed over the whole of the LMS's system.  

post-7769-0-98931700-1547396154_thumb.jpg

This particular one was built by Lawrence Scale Models and painted by Larry Goddard in 1998.  There are a couple of aspects of this that I need or want to change.  First up, because I model in P4 I have opted to refit the bogies with some Bill Bedford sprung versions, with the sides of the cast originals soldered to the sides of these.

post-7769-0-06101800-1547396173_thumb.jpg

I have also replaced the rather crude paper concertina corridor connections.  I have sought to develop my own corridor connections in connection with the HR full brakes shown in my previous post.  These are shown fitted here and are a big improvement - well, they will be once they are painted and finished!  Once this is done, I will apply a modicum of weathering.  The irony of this is that although these modifications will pretty much kill off the notional value of the coach, even if it will be a lot more realistic as a result - aghh well, my trainset and all that!

post-7769-0-39701000-1547396193_thumb.jpg

Edited by Portchullin Tatty
  • Like 8

This is a D.1778 full brake.  This diagram was constructed between 1925 - 28 and was the standard period 1 design for the LMS.  A 149 were made and they were disbursed over the whole of the LMS's system.  

attachicon.gifIMG_0286 (2).JPG

That looks absolutely gorgeous!

Would that diagram have been used on the Pines Express to Bournemouth West in 1930? It's near impossible to find a precise list of coaches used on the service at that time.

Peter

Peter,

It is an attractive vehicle and well modelled by Coachman isn't it!  My contribution is relatively minor.  Although I don't know for certain, it is probably based on a Comet Coaches kit.

In terms of the specifics of the train, I can't advise as this is well off my patch.

In terms of the generality, unless there was a specific make up for the train then quite possibly will be the answer.  It was a prestigious train and therefore it will have been made up of reasonably contemporary stock such as this. 

If you don't already have one or more of them, the Jenkinson books are worth having.  They show that there was a slightly later flush sided version of this (can't remember the introduction date but it might post date 1930) and other than that you would be back to the pre-grouping designs.