Traction tyres for an Airfix Castle?

Hi everyone,

Having finally got to the layout for the first time in about 6 months, I pulled out an old Airfix Castle loco, and noticed it making loud rattling noises as it went around the track. Inspecting the wheels of the tender, it appears the traction tyres have perished and fallen off at some point, as there aren't any! Does anyone know where I can get replacements, or preferably some drop-in metal replacement wheels that won't destroy the haulage power (I have some steep-ish gradients on my layout, and tend to run older "bomb-proof" stock) but won't leave rubbery deposits all over my track?

Many thanks,

James

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Having finally got to the layout for the first time in about 6 months, I pulled out an old Airfix Castle loco, and noticed it making loud rattling noises as it went around the track. Inspecting the wheels of the tender, it appears the traction tyres have perished and fallen off at some point, as there aren't any! Does anyone know where I can get replacements, or preferably some drop-in metal replacement wheels that won't destroy the haulage power (I have some steep-ish gradients on my layout, and tend to run older "bomb-proof" stock) but won't leave rubbery deposits all over my track?

Many thanks,

James

Hi James,

Time to visit the fishing tackle shop....

You are looking for Float Rings - The bits of band that hold the line to a flaot.

Various sizes available. Most of the larger ones are for sea fishing.

If not - time to get out the araldite or other 2 part epoxy and fill in the groove....

Thanks

Heat Shrink sleeving cut into thin slices makes excellent tyres. I got a load from a previous workplace, so I'm not up to date on suppliers, but as we make occasional use at work nowadays, it should be easily available. Just cut a slice, pop it onto the wheel and run a soldering iron round, it shrinks into the groove very tightly. A trim round the edge with a craft knife to tidy it up and its done. Never had to replace one since using it.

Have you tried using Hornby tyres for the 4F? As the 4F was originally also an Airfix loco like the Castle, I'm guessing that the tender

drive wheels on both locos were the same size so the tyres should fit.

Jim

Archived