BRM January '18 + 3D magazine + 3D glasses + DVD

SteveCole

• Administrators

As you have probably guessed, we're rather excited by BRM January. It includes (as if you don't know) a World Exclusive 3D Model Railway mini-magazine, FREE 3D glasses and a FREE DVD. This is all in addition to another quality magazine. Here's what to expect from this very special issue.

post-14186-0-17220000-1512487670_thumb.jpg

post-14186-0-61306000-1512487696_thumb.jpg post-14186-0-44431500-1512487718_thumb.jpg

FREE BONUS 3D MAGAZINE + FREE 3D GLASSES + FREE DVD!

The best model railways

Edington Junction (O) - a real group project model railway
Ashbourne (OO) - a layout that was built twice!
Stamford East (N) - owning, exhibiting and updating the late Trevor Webster's layout
Stylson Park (OO) - the Little Layout Company's own model railway

Expert Advice
The BRM Cakebox Challenge - 2 from RMweb that caught our eye
Hornby Junior Train Set - how to get it to run OO track
Installing point rodding from a signal box
Introducing 'Didsbury Green' - BRM's new project layout
Structures for Kineton - an update on this 2mm finescale layout
How to build a Cooper Craft AEC Monarch lorry

Products
The latest Trade News
New models
Reviewed: Hornby's Princess Coronation Class 4-6-2
Reviewed: Kernow's British Railways Class D16/2
Reviewed: Dapol GWR Autocoach
Reviewed: Hornby Mk1 Brake Second Open & First Open Coaches

And...
BRM meets...The Collector of British Tin Toy Trains
Tail Lamp

See what all the fuss is about...

The wait is over...

Steve,

So I got an email related to this today, best I can tell, EITHER because I am on RMWeb, OR as a Digital subscriber (maybe BOTH!! :jester: )

Looks great, question is, the email says "We will send all Digital Edition readers the 3D glasses free of charge! Just fill-in the online form and we'll post the glasses. "

I don't see any link to an "online form" to fill-in. Searched a bit, admittedly not a concerted effort, but didn't turn up the form...

I'm also expecting the reality is that as a non-UK based digital subscriber I'm unlikely to see you posting the glasses to me anyway?

Just thought I'd ask :)

Steve,

So I got an email related to this today, best I can tell, EITHER because I am on RMWeb, OR as a Digital subscriber (maybe BOTH!! :jester: )

Looks great, question is, the email says "We will send all Digital Edition readers the 3D glasses free of charge! Just fill-in the online form and we'll post the glasses. "

I don't see any link to an "online form" to fill-in. Searched a bit, admittedly not a concerted effort, but didn't turn up the form...

I'm also expecting the reality is that as a non-UK based digital subscriber I'm unlikely to see you posting the glasses to me anyway?

Steve posted this link in another topic - https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/brm/competitions/digital-edition-readers-here-is-how-you-can-claim-your-free-3d-glasses

If you live somewhere warm and tropical he'll probably bring them out to you, if it's cold he'll just post them out. :)

• Like 2

• Administrators

Steve,

Hi,

It's on page 152 I believe, the first page of the mini-magazine. No matter where you live, we'll send you the glasses.

Steve

Steve posted this link in another topic - https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/brm/competitions/digital-edition-readers-here-is-how-you-can-claim-your-free-3d-glasses

If you live somewhere warm and tropical he'll probably bring them out to you, if it's cold he'll just post them out. :)

Followed this link, "entered competition", never asks me for anything more than Country, Postcode  and House number? Be interesting to see it arrive at 5104, 55436 USA :) :)

Good luck with that :)

Picked  up  a  copy  today  locally,   takes  me  back  to  the  days  of  3D  comics, which  if  I remember  correctly  were only  produced  over a  relatively  short  time  period.

Overall  quite  interesting  to  see  the 'Depth' 3D format  provides,  Nice   images  of  Pendon in the  3D supplement, would have  liked  to  see more  of  the  trains  though.

• Administrators

Followed this link, "entered competition", never asks me for anything more than Country, Postcode  and House number? Be interesting to see it arrive at 5104, 55436 USA :) :)

Good luck with that :)

Hi Ian,

PM me your full postal address and I'll get some in the post.

Steve

• Like 1

• Administrators

I've tested the 3D glasses and I found that it doesn't work very well under some LED lights. They always work better under natural light than artificial light anyway.

True and give it a few seconds for your eyes to adjust. 

• RMweb Premium

Steve,

Now where did I put my 3D glasses that came free with Playboy or was it Mayfair back in the 80s?

• RMweb Gold

Still waiting for glasses.. I guess the BRM office is quite busy!!

Finally watched the video. I have to say I really enjoyed the section at the end with Phil looking at control panels, not quite sure if the mic they gave him was part of a joke though? :)

Really good to get behind and see what is what, more please! Maybe fiddle yards next? Operating practise? More panels? We spend a lot of time looking at how amazing these layouts look and some have some really much more interesting things to understand going on behind the scene. 

• Like 1

Finally watched the video. I have to say I really enjoyed the section at the end with Phil looking at control panels, not quite sure if the mic they gave him was part of a joke though? :)

Really good to get behind and see what is what, more please! Maybe fiddle yards next? Operating practise? More panels? We spend a lot of time looking at how amazing these layouts look and some have some really much more interesting things to understand going on behind the scene.

The 'dead badger' is a bit on an in-joke (as is 'Bob') but in such environments the hand-held mic/recorder is a good failsafe to ensure I don't have sound problems when it comes to editing.

Phil and I have several ideas to look at aspects of layouts that you don't normally get to see (or would make a rubbish piece on the page) so everyone should get ready to have their legs filmed at Doncaster!

• Like 3

• Administrators

All good ideas. I particularly like fiddle yards. We should probably look at layout lighting as well. Something to look at for Doncaster. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Still waiting for glasses.. I guess the BRM office is quite busy!!

Ive been told the glasses are being sent out on Monday.

Fortunately for me I asked the wife to buy a copy from WHSmiths, the other week......it wasn't out in the shops then!

I bought the Digital copy and ordered the glasses, the wife came back with a printed copy yesterday!

Lucky BRM.

Some of the 3D images work really well, some don't seem to work at all.

Good lighting is important to get the effect!

The ones that do are really good a far cry from when 3D images first came out.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 2

In the spirit of modelling, we’ve improvised and tried out the glasses from my son’s “3D Battle of the Dinosaurs.” His feedback “they were great and it felt you could reach out and touch them.” Never mind the naysayers, you got a fan here!

David

post-22698-0-82115700-1513024672_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

In the spirit of modelling, we’ve improvised and tried out the glasses from my son’s “3D Battle of the Dinosaurs.” His feedback “they were great and it felt you could reach out and touch them.” Never mind the naysayers, you got a fan here!

David

Apparently Phil found some cheap ones in Smith's today on a One Direction magazine for anyone who really doesn't give a monkeys what they look like. :)

• Administrators

The mind boggles at why Phil was looking at a One Direction (so no return service??) magazine and also what you’d need 3D glasses for in a 1D magazine!

Phil was in the books section looking for Christmas presents and spotted a big pile of these in the "Reduced to get rid of please take them away" shelf. I really should have taken a photo.

They apparently come with 2 pairs of glasses. If there are any left, we might buy some and send the specs out to any moaning about the 3D. You have been warned...

• Like 2

Got my copy at Monk Bar Model Shop in York yesterday, along with some items for my cakebox entry. That evening I had a look at the 3D Pendon feature. Admittedly I have rather young eyes, but I think the feature is brilliant, though the photo of the 43xx clanking through Pendon Parva doesn't quite have the same effect as all the other photos.

Really must get to Pendon sometime to see this masterpiece in real life!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Don't know if it's an indication of my age but I love this type of 3D stuff.  Thought the issue was brilliant and that the images were stunning - best in good light conditions.  Groundbreaking issue (never seen any other modelling publication attempt this) and it will certainly go into the 'cherished items chest' for future reference.  Well done everyone involved and can we see more layouts done like this in the future?  Very brave to attempt this - why I love BRM so much.

• Like 3