Findhorn viaduct repaired

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 06/12/2017 at 17:35, martin_wynne said:

Martin

Only just found this post - thanks. Wonderful looking bridge and the video gives some great views of the construction details.

I'm planning to use the Findhorn Viaduct design as a basis for a double track deck truss bridge.

This will involve a great deal of kit bashing (CVMW bridge parts), to get the 'British look', and extra detailing using styrene profiles and perhaps etches.

I might well show the design and build technique on a separate thread? Big job I reckon, but I did a kit bash from single track kits to produce this a few years back - great fun!

DSC00815.JPG.b8b5b06f11ab9759a1fb21de1f660aca.JPG

I still need to do the deck details on this one (probably ballast over plated) with internal guard rails added to the sleepers plus walkways. This might help to 'Anglicise' a rather American looking bridge.

Edited by zr2498
Photos reloaded
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/09/2021 at 21:00, Wickham Green too said:

A wee bit better looking than the three Airfix girder bridges I stuck together once ( middle girders inverted ).

Should this conversation be in the Bridge Bashing thread ???!?

New thread started under structures

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/index.php?/topic/167093-lattice-girder-deck-truss-bridge-kit-bashing/

Dave

Edited by zr2498
Modified thread address

The Findhorn Viaduct is a magnificent structure, it looks impossibly narrow in the landscape and the sight of a train barrelling across at around 70MPH is mind blowing.   Easily visible from  the parallel A9 dual carriageway I have many videos of trains on it taken by my passengers while I have been driving and following trains there. Its quite a skill to judge the correct speed as there are average speed cameras and the road takes a shorter course past Tomatin Loop.  Fortunately southbound  trains usually cross Northbound at Moy or Schlocht(?)  so Northbound seldom stop at Tomatin. We have holidayed near there for the past 30 odd years, including renting the cottage below the viaduct, from which the viaduct is visible through just one tiny awkwardly positioned window. Massively disappointing, waste of money, not recommended for railway enthusiasts.  Brilliant for Midge enthusiasts.  If you go to the Findhorn there is a beautiful curved stone viaduct a mile or so the other side of the summit very modellable, and the really ugly red brick double track monstrosity by Cullodden.  Great train terrain just crying out to be modelled US style wth floor to ceiling scenery.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Still working on it. A recent photo hopefully close to the Findhorn design, except modeller's license to upgrade to double track

DSC06402.JPG.3fbd4400e10fa03374b064a15831f16f.JPG

DSC06404.JPG.c3b88d37f691478f3e697412a473fb79.JPG

image.png.878df24aa98f397ca95c19832f12fc23.png

Edited by zr2498
  • Like 4