Hull Trains failure near Peterborough

It was Hull Trains unit 180110 running as 1H02, 09:48 Kings Cross to Hull.  Apparently connected with an obstruction on the line near Helpston (just North of Peterborough), causing the rupturing of four fuel tanks and spillage of diesel onto the line.  The passengers were eventually led off the stricken train, though I doubt many enjoyed the spectacle of Union of South Africa passing with a Norwich to York special while they were stuck on board.

• RMweb Gold

Hi gang,

Later report shows leading engine on the 180 wanted early retirement and threw legs out of bed in fine style with it going as it passed over a level crossing the bits of engine forced down by the catastrophic failure were bounced of crossing back upwards hence puncturing tanks- and emptying in short order it seems - a RHTT used to wash rail heads after.

Sadly press pics show the rescuing 180 from Grand Central just 5 hours to detrain passengers as 180s would not couple and get brake release - suspect more damage under the Hull trains unit. So not a pretty episode all round per Twit reports on news channels.

Robert 

• RMweb Gold

I recall a long since retired fitter at BHM being called to a then new IC swindon set with "funny noises" from an engine , train had gone by time he got to the platform - an pool of oil in 4 foot did not bode well. Set failed at Kings Norton exactly as the 180, engine blew out crankcase and brakepipes and fuel tanks ruptured down the 6 cars - loco out to pull back. 

You will notice the use of buffers and shackles to recover ! - something sadly missing from the current railway a universal coupling system - never catch on !!! :jester:  :dontknow:  :sarcastichand:

• Like 1

Hi gang,

Later report shows leading engine on the 180 wanted early retirement and threw legs out of bed in fine style with it going as it passed over a level crossing the bits of engine forced down by the catastrophic failure were bounced of crossing back upwards hence puncturing tanks- and emptying in short order it seems - a RHTT used to wash rail heads after.

Sadly press pics show the rescuing 180 from Grand Central just 5 hours to detrain passengers as 180s would not couple and get brake release - suspect more damage under the Hull trains unit. So not a pretty episode all round per Twit reports on news channels.

Robert 

Yes we were taken off the LNE circuit at 1300, to wait at Peterborough unit said unit was towed into Peterborough. made an hour out of the change of plans !!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was on the Northern Belle today and it was early into retford where I relieved it as it ran in front of this train which I believe was 1H02 but didn't have to go inside at Claypole

Edited by russ p

It was Hull Trains unit 180110 running as 1H02, 09:48 Kings Cross to Hull.  Apparently connected with an obstruction on the line near Helpston (just North of Peterborough), causing the rupturing of four fuel tanks and spillage of diesel onto the line.  The passengers were eventually led off the stricken train, though I doubt many enjoyed the spectacle of Union of South Africa passing with a Norwich to York special while they were stuck on board.

Most especially if it was showering smuts all over the spilled diesel.

• RMweb Premium

Not a problem, diesel doesn't ignite that easily. The Canton apprentices found that out after soaking the lone Swansea lads kecks in diesel only to find a they then refused to ignite with a match or lighter....

Dave

Not a problem, diesel doesn't ignite that easily. The Canton apprentices found that out after soaking the lone Swansea lads kecks in diesel only to find a they then refused to ignite with a match or lighter....

Dave

They can't have been using the right kind of diesel! I used to "borrow" diesel from work to burn the embankments and so trim back the hedgerows surrounding a stream which ran through our bottom field and it always ignited no problem!

They can't have been using the right kind of diesel! I used to "borrow" diesel from work to burn the embankments and so trim back the hedgerows surrounding a stream which ran through our bottom field and it always ignited no problem!

I manged to unintentionally put out a fire using diesel. One big puff of white smoke and that was it - no more flames, just oily cinders,,,

Edited by Titan

• RMweb Premium

The problem with diesel is that because it can be difficult to ignite people get complacent. The fuel has a very high calorific value and once it ignites it generates extremely high temperature with combustion that propagate very quickly. Having had the joyful task of investigating a few ship engine room oil fires has left me with a healthy respect for the fire hazards of diesel.

Once diesel is hot enough it will burn well. In my case the fire was too small to heat the diesel to its flash point, so the diesel did not ignite and smothered the fire instead. In accidents where diesel does ignite, it is because either it has been atomised to a fine spray and/or had a large input of heat. A fuel line breaking and spraying on to a hot exhaust would do it, and is quite a common fire starter.

Edited by Titan

And the problem would be what exactly?

Diesel wont be ignited by a couple of smuts from a steam loco, dont believe everything you see in the films! ; )

• RMweb Gold

That's alarming. Even if this type of failure is very rare indeed, there must be a risk that debris from a catastrophic engine failure does serious mischief.

Mark

Look on the bright side - the last time I saw a train running at speed suffer a ruptured fuel tank (vandalism in that case) the flames went about 30 feet into the air as the leaking fuel caught fire.  I was at a local station waiting to collect my wife off a local train and got straight onto an SPT to get all lines blocked plus helping out with protection on the adjacent Up Main line then giving a hand with passenger evacuation - the passengers had to walk over a quarter of a mile in the cess.

So this Hull Trains incident involved some good luck as well as some bad luck; but overall i think waiting in a failed train to be rescued is a bit more reassuring than watching flames shooting up the side of it.

Look on the bright side - the last time I saw a train running at speed suffer a ruptured fuel tank (vandalism in that case) the flames went about 30 feet into the air as the leaking fuel caught fire.  I was at a local station waiting to collect my wife off a local train and got straight onto an SPT to get all lines blocked plus helping out with protection on the adjacent Up Main line then giving a hand with passenger evacuation - the passengers had to walk over a quarter of a mile in the cess.

So this Hull Trains incident involved some good luck as well as some bad luck; but overall i think waiting in a failed train to be rescued is a bit more reassuring than watching flames shooting up the side of it.

Wasn't there an incident near Reading where someone bailed out of a HST after seeing flames, and was hit by another service?

Having an underfloor engine shed bits of itself all over the track, and then have some of them bounce back and rupture the bottom of fuel tank(s) is not only a rare event, but requires a fair level of coincidence.

We ought not to forget that for more than a century a potential, and more than occasionally real, even was a steam locomotive dropping a connecting rod onto, and into, the track. A quite probable result of that is derailment of the locomotive, and once derailed, a train is a substantial missile having a lot of kinetic energy and no control over what happenes next. Although some overseas railways incorporated it, there was never as far as I am aware any physical protection a British locomotive to restrain the front end of the connecting rod in the event of failure of the crosshead connection.

Jim

Having an underfloor engine shed bits of itself all over the track, and then have some of them bounce back and rupture the bottom of fuel tank(s) is not only a rare event, but requires a fair level of coincidence.

We ought not to forget that for more than a century a potential, and more than occasionally real, even was a steam locomotive dropping a connecting rod onto, and into, the track. A quite probable result of that is derailment of the locomotive, and once derailed, a train is a substantial missile having a lot of kinetic energy and no control over what happenes next. Although some overseas railways incorporated it, there was never as far as I am aware any physical protection a British locomotive to restrain the front end of the connecting rod in the event of failure of the crosshead connection.

Jim

Some accident reports... 

Connecting rod piercing the firebox: http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_CheadleHulme1922.pdf

Connecting rod piercing the boiler: http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_BetleyRoad1923.pdf

A narrow escape...   http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_Northolt1950.pdf     (note that the footplate men were back at work after one or two days!)

Bill

Some accident reports... 

Connecting rod piercing the firebox: http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_CheadleHulme1922.pdf

Connecting rod piercing the boiler: http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_BetleyRoad1923.pdf

A narrow escape...   http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_Northolt1950.pdf     (note that the footplate men were back at work after one or two days!)

Bill

Back in 1970 a loco. inspector I worked with (or, in his case, usually against) gave me a pretty graphic account of one experience he had - his 4F, on an excursion train, had built up some speed down a bank when the (midland design) little end broke up and the con rod started flailing around before digging into the sleepers. The terrifying part was he had plenty of time to think of all the possible outcomes before the loco came (safely, as far as he was concerned - and considerably against probability) to rest. saw him in a different light after that.

Regarding the footplate men that were back at work after 1 or 2 days; not trying to re-create the Monty Python 'you were lucky, you had glass to eat!' sketch but, in February 1961 a York - Swindon overnight passenger train hit a derailed Palvan near Rugby Central. The loco turned over, trapping the driver. The fireman attempted to rescue him, but was driven back by the heat of escaping steam. He then ran a considerable distance to Rugby box to get help.

Both he and the guard (who had protected the train in the other direction) then caught a train to try to continue their shift.

Probably this was the profound effect of shock rather than loyalty to the job, though

Edited to elaborate.

Edited by RfDforever